• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern movies and why they are often so terrible.

I lost a few friends back when as well. When I reflect on some of the chit I did – I find it hard to believe. It was just more good luck than skill, surviving.
Ditto, but I know it was more than luck that saved my arse....

Absolutely not, just not a topic that everyone will ever agree with and that should be well understood and is way down the list of pressing topics IMO, but I guess it needs refreshing every so often.
Entertainment media for the most part isn't causal, no - but it certainly is reflective of a society, whether on the upswing
or on the downslope....and we're definitely a slidin' these days.

And that has been the popular mindset for over a hundred years, and here we are.:elmer:
Not much of a student of history, are we? That's a patently false statement, right there.

Not much of a student of history, are we? That's a patently false statement, right there.
Well Mr History Professor, it should easy and at your fingertips then to show us some assorted national prominent newspaper articles over many decades declaring such optimism and lack of malaise by the general public for the future during the past 100 years.

Well Mr History Professor, it should easy and at your fingertips then to show us some assorted national prominent newspaper articles over many decades declaring such optimism and lack of malaise by the general public for the future during the past 100 years.
Newspaper articles do it for you, eh? I'll toss you a couple real quick ones and you go do your own homework:
- the swell of optimism in the post-war 50's, all the way up to JFK's election
- the return of patriotic pride (and the end of Carters' "stagflation") with Reagan in the 80's
Heck, despite the constant guttersniping of the leftists, even Trumps' first turn had started getting people excited
again....perhaps for the last time, sadly.

If you've lived in the country in the last half-century, you've witnessed it hitting on all 8 and you've seen it struggling -
but the struggling was always between periods of expansion and progress - and yes, optimism.
Have there always been individual naysayers who liked to grumble in such times? Sure.
Doesn't change what happened. Doesn't change what's happening now, either.

And that has been the popular mindset for over a hundred years, and here we are.:elmer:
Yes if you read the newspaper headlines from 50-100 years ago they are similar: unrest in the world, taxes are up, lack of respect from the kids etc. The Temptations " Ball of Confusion" could be written about today, but it was over 50 years ago.
HOWEVER, I think the  level of these issues is dramatically different today. 100 years ago a child muttering something under their breath when they were being told off was the height of disrespect. Nowadays the kids tell the teachers or police to F-Off to their face...and face no consequences.
Each generation seems to push the boundaries downwards.
I believe that it's worse today than in the past. Yes, the internet and media makes it seem worse, funnelling the bad news from around the globe into one handy 24 hour rolling update, but the more we move away from the family unit with good solid values then the deeper we sink into the cesspit.

Why are movies bad? Because Hollywood focus is on woke, diversity, equity and inclusion. Not movies.

I'd add SM - I consider myself and my kids fortunate to have missed a lot of it in our adolescent days.

We have created a world of simps and weaker man, women who claim that they don't need a man, just take a look around, houses, cars, streets almost everything around them was and is build by men, and no, you never see a man saying that we don't need a wolman, this cristal generation has put everything up side down, I miss the days when parents really gives education to their sons.

Last edited:
i really don’t watch much that hollywood releases. it has gotten to be to much like propaganda. i’m not going to witness anything there pushing. i’d love to get onto specifics but would not doubt i’d be banned from fbbo . last big production i took in was saving private ryan . band of brothers was another decent ( in realism ) series. both i can call watchable…. most of what’s on the “ boobtube” ( one of my dad’s favorite) is not watchable. like others said i’m more a realist. a guy who jumps out of an airplane and survives in a jungle armed with a pen ? yet he has a million dollars of camera equipment to chronicle the journey! and wonder where he plugs everything in to recharge each night … no thanks . i can’t do it …..

Yes if you read the newspaper headlines from 50-100 years ago they are similar: unrest in the world, taxes are up, lack of respect from the kids etc. The Temptations " Ball of Confusion" could be written about today, but it was over 50 years ago.
HOWEVER, I think the  level of these issues is dramatically different today. 100 years ago a child muttering something under their breath when they were being told off was the height of disrespect. Nowadays the kids tell the teachers or police to F-Off to their face...and face no consequences.
I believe that it's worse today than in the past. Yes, the internet and media makes it seem worse, funnelling the bad news from around the globe into one handy 24 hour rolling update, but the more we move away from the family unit with good solid values then the deeper we sink into the cesspit.
I agree the perception is things are worse today, but for example there was considerable blowback from many giving 50% of the population (women) the right to vote would be the end of our nation. I think it can be agreed by many today that was not the case. It's wash, rinse, repeat in many ways, with a much faster machine.

Newspaper articles do it for you, eh? I'll toss you a couple real quick ones and you go do your own homework:
- the swell of optimism in the post-war 50's, all the way up to JFK's election
You seem to ignore the panic of polio, the cold war, the Korean war, Thalidomide, The Warren court rulings, the Industrial Military complex, the French defeat in Vietnam, The McCarthy hearings, lead paint, etc
- the return of patriotic pride (and the end of Carters' "stagflation") with Reagan in the 80's
The mental decline of Reagan, the failed "trickle Down", the Iran Contra affair, the FAA union busting, the arrival of AIDS, gas crisis #2, etc.
Heck, despite the constant guttersniping of the leftists, even Trumps' first turn had started getting people excited
again....perhaps for the last time, sadly.
Only a perception that became a mirage
If you've lived in the country in the last half-century, you've witnessed it hitting on all 8 and you've seen it struggling -
but the struggling was always between periods of expansion and progress - and yes, optimism.
Optimism that only one segment has is not a national outlook.

Have there always been individual naysayers who liked to grumble in such times? Sure.
You mean like this thread?
Doesn't change what happened. Doesn't change what's happening now, either.

We agree, but it's the ill placed perception of great previous times is where do not.

Guys, I tried to be open minded but J C C is showing the same annoying habits that he showed at another forum. He inserts himself into topics just to argue. In some rare instances, he makes sense but he usually comes off as argumentative rather than helpful.
I highly recommend that you exercise the IGNORE feature on this guy. Whatever nuggets of wisdom that come from the guy come at a steep price.

Guys, I tried to be open minded but J C C is showing the same annoying habits that he showed at another forum. He inserts himself into topics just to argue. In some rare instances, he makes sense but he usually comes off as argumentative rather than helpful.
I highly recommend that you exercise the IGNORE feature on this guy. Whatever nuggets of wisdom that come from the guy come at a steep price.
This thread has turned into a news and political discussion. There was talk about politics in the first page. It's ok to have a non car related discussion in open forums but be prepared to loose it to the trash bin if it crosses the line.

That is a big fuzzy "line."
Not fuzzy at all. News, politics, and religion discussions are not allowed in general forums. If you want to start discussions like this, take them to the Political forum. That's what it's there for. Threads like this are left up as long as they don't get out of hand but when we get posts reported by members we take a closer look.

I do appreciate the latitude given to the content of this thread. WE have tip-toed into the red zone a bit and I'm as guilty as others.
I do find it disappointing that so many societal issues today have been polluted by politics. I don't know if it has always been this way but it sure seemed simpler just 15-18 years ago. You felt the push of consumerism pushed by the corporations like it has been for years but the latest push toward change feels like it went off a cliff.
I see it like a guy that buys a car and over the first few years, he makes a few changes but at some point, he goes off the deep end by tubbing it, adding a supercharged 440, he guts the interior and suddenly it doesn't resemble much from what it once was. The push to enact radical social change is akin to other extreme changes....way too much and way too soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back