• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Molasses as a rust remover is awesome

Got 2 sets off wiper linkage (under dash), another set of clutch/brake pedals, and a few other misc parts in the mix right now. Been in for a week, probably give them another week before i take them out. Did 2 sets off headliner bows a few weeks ago. After hitting them with soap, water, and scotchbrite they look like brand new shiny steel.

Do you all really prefer molasses to a vinegar and salt solution?

I do. Molasses doesn't burn if you get it in a cut or scratch. I believe it's safer. I've had vinegar dissolve coatings before. I like that you can "set it and forget it". Debatable as to which one stinks more. It's cheap at least at my location. I get 5 gallons for less than $20 bucks at the bulk animal feed store. Also you can dump it anywhere without worry.

I still use vinegar or evaporust from time to time for small parts like nuts and bolts.

I'm open to anything..... you have a recipe/ratio you prefer? details?
1 gallons molasses 10 gallons water . i made up a small batch in a old folgers coffee can for small stuff too . i just changed out two rear tires on my early 80’s tractor and soaked the wheel bolts , locks and nuts in the can for a week. the tall came out like new . a quick rinse and a few seconds on a wire wheel. then prime n paint….

537E79E5-0645-427D-9F64-05E3E19B1934.jpeg

64C52580-C996-4F92-852E-41935EDACAD9.png

I'm open to anything..... you have a recipe/ratio you prefer? details?
I have had success using a 2:1 ratio with a cup of salt for each gallon of vinegar. Of course it depends on what you are de-rusting. This has worked well on sheet metal, frame rails, brake drums etc. As hdwrench mentioned, it can be corrosive so you need to experiment. I will give the molasses bath a try. I'm in West Virginia, there must be a feed store around here somewhere.

1 gallons molasses 10 gallons water . i made up a small batch in a old folgers coffee can for small stuff too . i just changed out two rear tires on my early 80’s tractor and soaked the wheel bolts , locks and nuts in the can for a week. the tall came out like new . a quick rinse and a few seconds on a wire wheel. then prime n paint….

View attachment 1564723

View attachment 1564725

Also using 9-10 parts water to 1 part molasses.

The molasses mix works better in warmer weather, if my memory serves me correctly. Inside a heated building is good.

caution - it is said the molasses process is not safe for aluminum. i have not tried it so cannot verify results on other metals . does anybody have any input on its effect on aluminum?

Auto Transport Service
Back