• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Molasses as a rust remover is awesome

ospho needs to be flushed away thoroughly with water and air dried......

ospho can be applied and can sit as a rust inhibitor for long periods of time. When it's time to remove the ospho, it must be "re-wet" with fresh ospho and allowed a few minutes to react; then flush well with water. Rubber gloves and a red scotch brite will also speed things along.

the hood is back in one piece, I sand blasted the frame and epoxied everything........ I also used ospho to clean up the topside of the hood and fenders

View attachment 1542386View attachment 1542387View attachment 1542390View attachment 1542388View attachment 1542391
I’ve been using Ospho on some smaller items, a driveshaft for instance, and did wash/wiped it off before painting. It’s good to know how others are using it and your re-wetting technique on stored metal items I hadn’t considered or heard of but it makes sense. It’s a new product to me.

You really went after that rust on the hood, it looks fantastic!

It sure works good at removing rust. The only thing i hate is the greasy black residue that has to be scubbbed off after pulling the parts out of the molasses water mix. Maybe my solution is too concentrated.

It sure works good at removing rust. The only thing i hate is the greasy black residue that has to be scubbbed off after pulling the parts out of the molasses water mix. Maybe my solution is too concentrated.

I just rinsed it off with a sponge and a garden hose

I use a 9 to 1 ratio, that seems like what multiple sources agreed on.

I start out with a 7-1 ratio then add water when it gets low. I skim off the mold that builds up on the surface and usually replace the concoction every couple years.

I put 4 coil springs in 3 days ago, I just popped the lid and the bubbles are back!

I have about 20 gallons of mix in a 35 or so gallon plastic feeder tub. Thinking about throwing in another clutch pedal assembly, battery tray, and a few other items before it freezes hard. Hopefully the tub will withstand the ice this winter if i bury it in straw bales. I don't have a heated shop.

I put my "stew" in a plastic bin; I have to figure out what to do with it for winter

I found a discussion on molasses from 2010 on the AACA site link that has some members digging deep into how the solution/bacteria lives on rust, thus eliminating it.

;)Edit just added: in this article there was talk of a fellow digging a hole in the ground for a molasses bath of his whole car, as @hdwrench mentions in the next post. :thumbsup:

RUST REMOVAL using molasses???

The ratio, after re-reading this thread range from 7 to 1, to 9 to 1. Also as stated the water evaporates so it will need more added.

The one thing I learned new was to use feed store molasses and not the human/pancake type. That was what I used, Grandma’s, from Walmart. It did work but maybe not as quickly, so I’m going with the feed/animal type.

Last edited:
i’d love to build a vat big enough for my car , it could use a good molasses bath !

Can moonshine be made with the leftovers? ..... asking for a friend :fool:

I put 4 coil springs in 3 days ago, I just popped the lid and the bubbles are back!

pulled these out today, they were crusty as balls when I put them in...... simply amazing, set it and forget it

IMG_20231127_151958.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back