• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 413 Max Wedge engine

That 1970 383 sounds like a better option - not many people would notice the difference between the "E" and the "F" on the top stamps. Also probably easier to get parts for the '70 engine. If I were closer I'd probably grab it myself. :)

Are the blocks different for a standard or automatic?

- - - Updated - - -

How much can you bore over as well on a 383.... is .060 over to much?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-383-DODGE-BIG-BLOCK-Bare-engine-block-Machined-Casting-2468130-/170745723972?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c13cfc44&vxp=mtr

I don't know of any difference between manual and automatics for the blocks. And 0.060" is usually the maximum size to bore, given piston availability.

so of the 2 maybe the 70 is still a better way to go although the 69 date is close the date of the car which would be nice but not worth a piston nightmare I suppose as well as thin cylinder walls

Chances are that 413 is not a Max Wedge, but that's another story. A regular 413 is like a smaller bore 440. Same block dimension and basic appearance and everything except of course the pistons will interchange. You also don't have a lot of variety with pistons so building a 413, even stock, can get pricey.

As mentioned the 383 is a better choice. If you need a 69 383 I think I know where one is. It might even be an HP stamped block.

^^ Yes I would be very interested please and thank you.... it seems I can get any other year 383 for 350 or less but a 69 is more desirable ? I just wanted to match the year and month as close I could.... if I could for reasonable money. The car wont be a show car as I don't do that good of work yet but I was going for more of a survivor look for now

What is your goal, is it original look or a resto-mod or what ?? why do you care what year the block is, if it's not an original engine or a 100% OEM restoration ??... IMHFO But for originality look, if that's even what you going for, the 383ci or 400ci would be better {you can always stroke it, if you want the original look of a 383 B-low deck, with a little more grunt/HP/Tq}, but also most 413's produced were low HP passenger car, big car, truck or RV engines, with questionable cylinder heads {especially the RV heads}, but that's an easy fix... It could be a cool engine, but a 383-400-440 are easier engines to get parts for & are readily available... But like stated before not many piston options for the 413, so they would probably be a custom order item... I'd do a 400 B-low-deck stroker or a 383 stroker myself...

yea that 1970 383 for $350 local to me is looking better all the time... although there is a 67 383 that wws running before it was pulled for for I think $250... it would be ready to go as is I suppose... not looking for a racing engine ...just a reliable one

70, has arguably the better 906 heads, than the 67

Would that 67 383 have 915 heads on it? If so, that $350 is a steal.

383 2 barrel engine out of a running and driving 1966 Chrysler

found another 383... these are the numbers off it:

Lh side
24681307............6-28-67

Rh side

probably 200 for the engine delivered

Normally the 66/67 383's do not have 915 heads but I have seen one that did. Must have run out of 516's that day.

^^ Yes I would be very interested please and thank you.... it seems I can get any other year 383 for 350 or less but a 69 is more desirable ? I just wanted to match the year and month as close I could.... if I could for reasonable money. The car wont be a show car as I don't do that good of work yet but I was going for more of a survivor look for now

I sent my buddy a message and hopefully he will get back to me soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back