• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 528 camshaft

Way way back I was putting a low comp 440 together for racing , and decided on the 284 over the 509 because it was 60 vs 76 degrees overlap, to try to maintain whatever compression there was.
In this situation it's the opposite.
As mentioned ^^^

Interesting reading everyones comments.
I admit some points made i dont quite understand thats why im here.

The Hydraulic grinds by MP are being reproduced by Mancini racing.

My 528 cam is NOS

Have you cc"d any chambers and done a downfill check to make sure you really are at 11:1?

Run 114 LSA & lose power big time. If you want less overlap, keep the tight LSA & reduce the duration.

Look at the LSA test [ three LSAs tested ] Richard Holdener did ...& how much power the wide LSA lost.....

Seems I’ve read more than once that the .528 cam is about as hot as you can go with stock manifolds . Any more and the overlap works against you. Maybe degree and run 1.6 rockers. I don’t think I’ve set up any cam in recent history that came out right on by just lining up the dots.

Not sure what fuel you'll have to run. But I do know that Andy F has tested this cam with exhaust manifolds and states it is one of the best when using them. I'd ask him about it.
Doug

lewtot184

I have not performed the down fill method of compression test
but i am confident.
I also refuse to run any Hydraulic cam.

Geoff 2

I dont think any of Richard Holdener experiments will apply to my scenario.

Im thinking of going with PRheads suggestion of installing @109.

I will also look into 1.6 rockers, obviously concerned for pushrod clearance and how material
can be removed!!

Thanks again guys, great input

I had the MP .528 cam in a 512 cu with 1.6 rockers.

Static kompression 10.3:1. Cam install at 109* Cranking pressure was 165 psi if I remember correct.
Well, it was a blast to driv on the street, boil the tires anytime I wanted. Have fun!!

I have used the 528 a couple of times. My last effort was the 440 in my 71 R.R. 440 inches, 10.5-1 measured, 915 heads for quench, six pack setup and exhaust manifolds. It ran great on the 94 octane we had back then.

Auto Transport Service
Back