• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOPAR Electronic Ignition Identification

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I dig into my 1968 Super Bee some more, I’m trying to figure out exactly what I have. Like I now know I have 452 heads vs the stock 906 heads.

i also have a MOPAR electronic ignition. Is there a way I can determine what year this is from so I can replace parts if needed down the road? I also have the “orange” ICU.

Thanks!!
Bob
272744F3-FAC1-4B70-8C23-C2CF042631BB.jpeg

There should be a tag on the distributor side, if not probably a Cardone rebuild. Orange box if real will have a three digit date code in ink on the top under the part number.

There's nothing "year specific" inside the distributor.
The pickup coil and reluctor are interchangeable between many years.

IMO....the only other specific point is: the coil, ballast resistor and ECU (Electronic Control Unit or control box) MUST BE COMPATIBLE within a specific range, or premature failure will result. Specifically, wrong coil with a incompatible ballast resistor will damage the ECU. Ray at HALLIFAXHOPS is your best source of information and replacement parts.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back