• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance Single Plane intake question

brian.linn

Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4532174

Can someone tell me anything about the Mopar Performance Intake 4532174?

I am building a street 440 and have this intake in my shelf. Gonna run some 906 heads, 6 pack pistons, thinking about the Hughes Whiplash cam, 727, 3.55 gears.

I’m open to a different intake, but I e got this one and I know nothing about it.

Any advice and thoughts on it would be great. Thanks!!

What are you wanting to know? There are better single planes out there...If this is a street car I would invest in a RPM...

Pay me no mind. I'm old and cheap. But......If I already owned that single plane I wouldn't spend $300 to get a dual plane. I'm a big believer in running what you have on the shelf in this and most cases.

I ran it back in the '90s when they came out. I had a Street Dominator that I bought new from Direct Connection and it ran great on my 440 with the old Street Hemi cam (.471/.474" 108LSA) and a ThermoQuad. When I built a big-valve, L2355F piston, balanced 446" with a .509" PurpleShaft and Crane roller rockers, I went for the *NEW* M1 single plane and loved it! Used an 850 DP Holley and 3.91 gears, it was "light switchy," with the switch flipping at about 3500rpm, but HANG ON!

Thank you all for the responses. I plan to street drive it, but yes, I’ll have my foot in it all the time. Just a little street thumper. I’m sure I wouldn’t notice any low end torque loss with the 440 having so much. But I always value what people have experienced.

Thank you all for the responses. I plan to street drive it, but yes, I’ll have my foot in it all the time. Just a little street thumper. I’m sure I wouldn’t notice any low end torque loss with the 440 having so much. But I always value what people have experienced.

You will probably be fine with the Whiplash and 3.55s, it won't be as light-switchy-LOL-and it may just help you hook a tad better on the street than a RPM would.

You will probably be fine with the Whiplash and 3.55s, it won't be as light-switchy-LOL-and it may just help you hook a tad better on the street than a RPM would.

This is what I’m looking for. I don’t need a 700HP cruiser. If I could get 375HP and cruise the streets on pump gas, I’m good with that.

I’m also running 29.5” to 31” tall tires. Will probably run a 2800 stall converter. I have TTI headers (1-7/8) and plan to run 2.5” exhaust with X-Pipe.

Last edited:
what IQ said
running six pack pistons if you do not already own a balanced 6 pack rotating assembly is just so 60s, and they pinged even on back thens good gas
Heavy pistons
and those with stock heads have no quench and well with today's gas - just don't work (except race only)
last thing you need to think about is a cam
start with the chassis basics gears converter headers
and most important how do you want it to drive goals
do you have hard seats and new guides in those heads? cost it out
if you do not own pistons check out some light weight ones
and if using those heads get ones with a quench dome- really helps with today's gas
unless you plan to only run above your torque peak and trailer the car
If you do own the pistons and the heads are in first class shape you are essentially fighting an un-winable up hill fight
one than no cam can fix, especialy one desighend to beef up a low compression build
BTW what do you think your true mechanical compression will be with your proposed combo?

what IQ said
running six pack pistons if you do not already own a balanced 6 pack rotating assembly is just so 60s, and they pinged even on back thens good gas
Heavy pistons
and those with stock heads have no quench and well with today's gas - just don't work (except race only)
last thing you need to think about is a cam
start with the chassis basics gears converter headers
and most important how do you want it to drive goals
do you have hard seats and new guides in those heads? cost it out
if you do not own pistons check out some light weight ones
and if using those heads get ones with a quench dome- really helps with today's gas
unless you plan to only run above your torque peak and trailer the car
If you do own the pistons and the heads are in first class shape you are essentially fighting an un-winable up hill fight
one than no cam can fix, especialy one desighend to beef up a low compression build
BTW what do you think your true mechanical compression will be with your proposed combo?

Not sure on the compression yet. Yeah, I already have the piston. The crank has been ground down and balanced. I Basically have a bunch of stuff On the shelf I was gonna throw together. The engine has been bored .30, stock rods with the ProSpeed https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trw-l2355f 6 pack Pistons...

I’ve got a Dana 60 laying around with new 3.55 gears and some new TTI headers. I could start with another 440, but the machine work has been done to the crank and block.

Not sure on the compression yet. Yeah, I already have the piston. The crank has been ground down and balanced. I Basically have a bunch of stuff On the shelf I was gonna throw together. The engine has been bored .30, stock rods with the ProSpeed https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trw-l2355f 6 pack Pistons...

I’ve got a Dana 60 laying around with new 3.55 gears and some new TTI headers. I could start with another 440, but the machine work has been done to the crank and block.

Run it and have fun! You'll have at least 9-9.5:1 without any fancy milling. Nobody ever had quench with factory 440s anyway, the closest being the '66-67 and they barely had any. Get a good aluminum radiator and keep a check on detonation. Use good gas so you can run 36-38* total timing.

I would cc the heads, and adjust the compression ratio with head gasket thickness. Maybe my opinion is colored by the s#!tty gas here, but i wouldn't run much over 9 to 1. As Bighead pointed out, you won't have any quench to lose, cause you won't have any, so set the comp ratio where it will be comfortable to drive and you won't have to worry about detonation.
And i agree with IQ52 also. Run what you have. Do you really think you might miss 15 lbs of low-end torque? The three hun you save can buy a nice cam and lifters.

I'm running a team G on my 440, in spite of the generally bad reviews. I had it on the shelf, and the bad reviews all mentioned the bumps in the ports for the mounting bolts. Twenty minutes with a grinder, no more bumps. 97 mph in the eighth. It might be faster with an rpm. I'll never know.

The really narrow lsa the whiplash has is hughes answer to run on low compression engines. From what you've mentioned your engine is going to be mid 9's. That is about a half point higher then hughes even recomends for a pump gas build whiplash. I would do a different hughes or look at a voodoo 704. The voodoo 110 lsa will give you more top end power and lose some overlap, and be less picky on the gas, also has a little more lift on the exhaust. I'd be a little surprised if hughes even would recommend that cam for your application, my guess they would not.

The mopar intake you mentioned we've run on 500-700 hp, I would not hesitate to run in it.

I happen to have the Whiplash cam on the shelf as well is why I was thinking of using it.

I probably need to either buy a new cam or change my heads and intake.

I’ve never ran the Voodoo cam, I have run the 484 and 509 Purple cams and Comp Thumpr Cam and have been happy with all of them.

So, sticking with the pistons and crank, I may need to buy a cam. My heads are getting looked at, but not planning on doing anything to them if I don’t need to. They have a 5 angle valve job and some bigger exhaust valves installed awhile back.

I happen to have the Whiplash cam on the shelf as well is why I was thinking of using it.

I probably need to either buy a new cam or change my heads and intake.

I’ve never ran the Voodoo cam, I have run the 484 and 509 Purple cams and Comp Thumpr Cam and have been happy with all of them.

So, sticking with the pistons and crank, I may need to buy a cam. My heads are getting looked at, but not planning on doing anything to them if I don’t need to. They have a 5 angle valve job and some bigger exhaust valves installed awhile back.
Get your heads cc'd (you can do that easy enough yourself) see how far your piston is below the deck and calculate your compression. Then you will have a better idea as far as how you will get along with a whiplash. You will likely land in the 9's somewhere. Very low 9's I think you could run the whiplash. You could run a little thicker economy priced head gasket like a .052 from 440 source. SInce your heads don't have quench anyway, it's just a matter of getting your compression so it works on pump gas with a whiplash. I understand using what you have. Imo...The voodoos are a assymetric profile and a improvement over the symmetric 30+ year old mp grinds and anything that comp offers. I would not be afraid of losing some compression to run a certain cam...especially if you already own the cam. 2 me it becomes more about making it work for your goals with your combo then seeking out every last hp.

Last edited:
Years back using parts mostly off the shelf, my son and I tested a 440 with six-pack pistons and even made back-to-back comparisons of manifolds. One of which was the single plane M1. It is a lot of reading but during the testing that short block went from Pop's original 404 HP to our 650 HP set-up. Here are a couple of threads we posted of the same tests. Page 2 of the first link has the manifold tests. I hope this helps. Oh..........and it was all done on 91 octane.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pops-440-is-near-ready-to-dyno.64775/

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/pops-engine-another-440-on-the-dyno.261378/

Last edited:
Bighead
why would you put a chevy cam in a mopar?

Why would the poster use a M1 intake and not a Victor or Trick Flow?
Why would he use L2355F pistons and not Diamond or Ross?
Why run 906 heads, hell just get Trick Flows or B1?
Why run a 727 and not a 904?

Because they work fine and last. I think with the OP's combo, he's operating on a budget and having fun, not looking for that last 3hp. It's really more about the combo and running good than maxing out the .200" duration numbers per .006 or .050"...

Auto Transport Service
Back