• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for singel plane intake?

kjalltrac

Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Curious about if I will lowering my et by switching to a single plane intake?
What's your thoughts about this?
I know that the rpm intake is pretty good.

Current combo is:
440 stock stroke/bore
E-street heads ( light port/valve job)
Perf rpm intake ( ported to match the heads ports)
850 dp qf carb
Ft solid cam 250/254 [email protected] 588/600 lift
L2355 pistons
Ly rods
10.6 comp ratio
1 3/4 headers
727 rpvb
3.73 gears
26" Hoosier slicks

11.84 @ 1/4

Will put a d60 and 4.10 gears in it this winter and use 28" slicks.

20230819_195633.jpg

FB_IMG_1692462196619.jpg

My first time going from an RPM to a holley SD was all I needed to see.
Never ran a dual plane since.
You have more cam and head than I did too.
An M1 might be what you're after.

What is your shift rpm, and your fallback rpm after a shift?
If it never sees 3500 during a pass, it should be faster with a single plane.
I have virtually the same combo, but with iron 906 heads, 2"headers, and 3.91s
I shift at 5800-5900, use a team G single plane Weiand, been 7.25 1/8th mile.

Short shifting.
I would be trying 64-6500

You might want to try the TrickFlow Track Heat or the Edelbrock Victor. I have a Victor on my Savoy and it works very well.
Gus

There’s only one way to know for sure how your combo will respond to a single plane manifold.

If the actual flash stall speed is only 3500, I wouldn’t be expecting any dramatic improvement from a manifold swap.

As it is, the 60’(1.81) is a little soft for an 11.84 ET, and with 3500 flash stall, I wouldn’t really expect a single plane to be an improvement during that part of the run.

Last edited:
There’s only one way to know for sure how your combo will respond to a single plane manifold.

If the actual flash stall speed is only 3500, I wouldn’t be expecting any dramatic improvement from a manifold swap.

As it is, the 60’(1.81) is a little soft for an 11.84 ET, and with 3500 flash stall, I wouldn’t really expect a single plane to be an improvement during that part of the run.
Thanks for your input. It was spinning the tires almost the hole 1st gear

Thanks for your input. It was spinning the tires almost the hole 1st gear
....then better tires or suspension work will be MUCH more beneficial than a manifold swap. Look for low 1.6s. You will be in the 11.50s.
Edit: small possibility that the single plane might kill some low end that the rpm provides, maybe make it easier to hook up. (I know, lots maybes/might.)
As PRH said , there's only one way to find out......

Last edited:
....then better tires or suspension work will be MUCH more beneficial than a manifold swap. Look for low 1.6s. You will be in the 11.50s.
Will be putting a d 60 with 4.10 gears in it this winter together with 28" slicks.
It already has 3 way front shocks, ss springs and Calvert single adjustable shocks in the rear.

Yup, you should be worrying more about traction than changing intakes right now lol....but, most of my junk that had good traction benefited from an open plane intake and like PRH said, experimentation is always a good thing.

Yup, you should be worrying more about traction than changing intakes right now lol....but, most of my junk that had good traction benefited from an open plane intake and like PRH said, experimentation is always a good
The 4.10 and new larger tires will hopefully lower my 60 foot, just curious if the single plane might help me or if I just should stick with the rpm intake at this power level.

The 4.10 and new larger tires will hopefully lower my 60 foot, just curious if the single plane might help me or if I just should stick with the rpm intake at this power level.
I'd leave the RPM on it after making the changes to the 4.10 and larger tires then throw on a single place and see if it does anything. At one point, I had 7 or 8 intakes to play with and lots of other stuff to try but generally, I was happy with the single planes. Also had several carbs from kinda small to large and seemed like every time I installed a larger carb, the car pick up.

There's no way to know without trying it. Sell the one that's slower.

Also, keep in mind that not all single planes will yield the same results.

Looks like your speed is close to 115mph……. So there’s already a good enough power/weight ratio to knock a few tenths off the ET.
There should be an “easy” .15 in the 60’ if you get rid of the spin.

Have you experimented with the shift points yet?
With those heads and cam, I’d think maybe a few hundred higher might be quicker…….. although the 1-3/4” headers might be holding that down a bit and playing into it as well.

Last edited:
Best 60 on a prepped track was 1.68 back in 2021.
Only raced 2 Times this year (non preped).
So I haven't played around so much with shift points
I've set the rew limiter at 6400, but it sounds and feels like the limiter hits around 5800rpm.
Might be not enough springs for this cam that causes it as well?
I will put the limiter at 5000 to see how it sounds and feels like. Some says the 6al rew limiter is a little to early.

Screenshot_20230701_191353_Chrome.jpg

What springs are on the heads, and they are set up with what pressures?

That seems like it would be fine for solidly over 6k.

Have verified the flash stall speed to be 3500?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back