• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Replacement 5-Pin Ignition Module

steve maluk

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
hello again
my 73 challenger has a 5 pin ignition module can i use a 4 pin bolted to firewall?
what is the diff
thanks
sjm

Just went through this with my son's 74 charger. Went to Napa and all they showed were the 4 pin. The lady behind the counter took some numbers from his old one, looked for a bit on the computer, went to the back and came back with a 5 pin unit.

Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 pin Ballast & Electronic Volt. Regulator.jpg

A 4 pin ignition box will work on a 5 pin system w/ dual ballast resistor.
A 5 pin ignition box will not work on a 4 pin system w/ single ballast resistor.
All factory style ignition boxes must be grounded to function.

So why even make a five pin

When the four pin works with both the dual and single ballast resistor

If your finding a five pin today from a jobber , chances are the fifth pin is a dummy pin and it’s a fake transistor with a cap

The 5-pin uses the higher resistance resistor part of the dual ballast resistor. I think it is like 5-Ohms?
On the 4-pin box, the 5 ohm power resistor is mounted inside the box.
If I recall, the resistor is used in series with a zener diode to create a regulated voltage reference power supply for some of the boxes circuits.

Auto Transport Service
Back