• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More on Vendors

Jetblast

Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
As I move along on my 1965 Dodge Coronet build and encounter retail vendors as well as people who sell their own stock, it boggles my mind where we are.
In that I refer to the fact that we buy reproduction parts that are priced like NOS that nine times out of ten is inferior to pieces made in the 60's out of material that is inferior to steel from the Titanic or we go to swap meets and buy, or try to buy parts that need total restoration for prices that require a mortgage. WHY?
I think one of the biggest reasons is that for a long time there wasn't much aftermarket support for Mopar products and when the vendors got on the bandwagon, it was as if they were making the huge sacrifice to make Mopar parts and we should be both grateful and willing to pay twice or three times what a Ford or Chevy part would be.
The other part of the problem is that swap meet sponsors usually parts vendors, set up the schedule so the used parts dealers were allowed to buy up all of the parts they wanted from the "garage cleaners" and by the time the public was let in, if it is a part you want the Tony's and Joe's and all the other big name used part sellers are happy to make it available at 100% mark up. Good business? Definitely for someone but not us.
If we are to believe all of the rhetoric, every Mopar part from intake bolts to tail light housings are rare and expensive. They are do however continue to show up, usually from a retail used parts vendor.
Case in point. I called a guy about a Hurst shifter stick for a 65 B body console. He was happy to let me know that he had two available, both were in great condition, no pitting in the logo portion but the rest of it was covered with rust and would have to be rechromed but he would be willing to take $250. for it. I guess we are supposed to be to stupid to know that Hurst still makes a replacement, call it reproduction if you like, that can be purchased every day for $160. Now understand that I know there are people who are building show cars that would pay $500. for an oil filter made in 1970 but do most of us care if our cars have parts that would have been replaced over time from wear or damage.
Can we change anything ? I think we can try.
First of all I think we should stop spending our money with vendors who treat us like dirt. If you are afraid that they will walk away from a multi billion dollar market, you don't know business. Perhaps it would be good if some of them went under. You have a choice about where you spend your money, spend it with people who appreciate your business.
Second, we need to stop providing used parts vendors with parts to hoard and dole out. With the internet, these forums Craigslist, eBay, etc., there is no reason to make them rich while you drive your car around without a bellhousing dust cover because you don't have $120. laying around (just a situation I just heard the last couple of days). Remember that everytime you sell your parts to vendors you just marked it up 50-100%. That decent, clean it up and run it, $400. A833 becomes a rare $800. transmission (just another example). Anybody look at Hurst shifters lately or clutch parts. Y would think that they only made 50 manual cars a year. While not every car was a four speed, three on the tree and on the floor was very popular in the sixties and many of the parts were the same. It appears they were all made of Gold. Need I talk about air cleaners, obviously made of the popular unattainable.
Long post I know but I am beyond frustrated. The very people who claim to be supporters of Mopar motoring are the ones driving the brand back in to the dirt. Stop buying and selling to them and see how supportive they are. I don't begrudge anyone from making a profit but should they make a days profit on every sell, I don't think so. DO YOU?

Holy Cow.....

images.jpg

Good clean 50 plus year old parts are not growing on trees.
They are in limited supply, and thus expensive.

Tooling up to make reproduction parts is an expensive proposition. There is a somewhat limited market once a vendor tools up, so the profit is earned on fewer units sold.

Basic economics.

Fixed......

As I move along on my 1965 Dodge Coronet build and encounter retail vendors as well as people who sell their own stock, it boggles my mind where we are.

In that I refer to the fact that we buy reproduction parts that are priced like NOS that nine times out of ten is inferior to pieces made in the 60's out of material that is inferior to steel from the Titanic or we go to swap meets and buy, or try to buy parts that need total restoration for prices that require a mortgage. WHY?

I think one of the biggest reasons is that for a long time there wasn't much aftermarket support for Mopar products and when the vendors got on the bandwagon, it was as if they were making the huge sacrifice to make Mopar parts and we should be both grateful and willing to pay twice or three times what a Ford or Chevy part would be.

The other part of the problem is that swap meet sponsors usually parts vendors, set up the schedule so the used parts dealers were allowed to buy up all of the parts they wanted from the "garage cleaners" and by the time the public was let in, if it is a part you want the Tony's and Joe's and all the other big name used part sellers are happy to make it available at 100% mark up. Good business? Definitely for someone but not us.

If we are to believe all of the rhetoric, every Mopar part from intake bolts to tail light housings are rare and expensive. They are do however continue to show up, usually from a retail used parts vendor.

Case in point. I called a guy about a Hurst shifter stick for a 65 B body console. He was happy to let me know that he had two available, both were in great condition, no pitting in the logo portion but the rest of it was covered with rust and would have to be rechromed but he would be willing to take $250. for it. I guess we are supposed to be to stupid to know that Hurst still makes a replacement, call it reproduction if you like, that can be purchased every day for $160. Now understand that I know there are people who are building show cars that would pay $500. for an oil filter made in 1970 but do most of us care if our cars have parts that would have been replaced over time from wear or damage.

Can we change anything ? I think we can try.

First of all I think we should stop spending our money with vendors who treat us like dirt. If you are afraid that they will walk away from a multi billion dollar market, you don't know business. Perhaps it would be good if some of them went under. You have a choice about where you spend your money, spend it with people who appreciate your business.

Second, we need to stop providing used parts vendors with parts to hoard and dole out. With the internet, these forums Craigslist, eBay, etc., there is no reason to make them rich while you drive your car around without a bellhousing dust cover because you don't have $120. laying around (just a situation I just heard the last couple of days). Remember that everytime you sell your parts to vendors you just marked it up 50-100%. That decent, clean it up and run it, $400. A833 becomes a rare $800. transmission (just another example). Anybody look at Hurst shifters lately or clutch parts. Y would think that they only made 50 manual cars a year. While not every car was a four speed, three on the tree and on the floor was very popular in the sixties and many of the parts were the same. It appears they were all made of Gold. Need I talk about air cleaners, obviously made of the popular unattainable.

Long post I know but I am beyond frustrated. The very people who claim to be supporters of Mopar motoring are the ones driving the brand back in to the dirt. Stop buying and selling to them and see how supportive they are. I don't begrudge anyone from making a profit but should they make a days profit on every sell, I don't think so. DO YOU?

There is a lot of truth to your rant. But look at the overall picture. Vendors who buy parts prior to the public have the problem of storing said parts and now buying a part in Florida, he now makes it available to everyone across the USA and beyond. I've been in the hobby since mid 80's and there was nothing available back then but N.O.S. stuff and it was drying up fast. My other alternative was buy a junker and scavenge parts off it and when done send it off to the junk yard.

To state the obvious (for guys that have done it) restoring a car isn't for the faint of heart. You encounter problems that stop you dead in your tracks wondering "how in the hell am I gonna fix that?" especially when you know parts are impossible to find or a fortune to buy. Then you wrack your brain and come up with ideas that were a nice try and didn't work and then eventually a fix. Got to envy the hedge fund guys and others holding extreme wealth that don't work on their cars or know how to; but can buy them all restored. They don't sit in their garage trying to figure out what to do or bust their knuckles doing it. Then you make a decision do I or can I buy a new or used part somewhere or can I repair what I have? Buying parts takes patience I damaged a latch on my door and searched for one and the guy wanted $120 for it. Thought that price was too much; so then I was going to try to repair it; but found another guy who wanted $30 for one so bought that. People can ask whatever they want for something and it might sell or might not. Can't blame them for seeing if they can get as much as they can for it. Then they might lower the price if they want to get rid of it. Supply & demand.

Always thought to buy a vendor spacer just to go shopping early. Never did it but...
Use to get to some swap meets early while the guys cleaning out the garage were unloading.

As I understand it, overall Mopar production was roughly a 1/3 of GM & Ford.

Good point and finding mopar parts earlier than 66-67 is more difficult as I've found anyway. A lot more has become available; but huge voids remain. Us mopar guys have more to do to rebuild than the GM and Ford folks (unless they're rebuilding some offshoot model) and sort of the fun of it once you get over being pissed off trying to solve one problem or the other. Then stand back and look at what you've accomplished when its done! Beer time!

If there's 4 million cattle in the feedlots, a pound of hamburger will be cheap.

If there's only 100 head of hogs in the feedlot, a pound of bacon will not be cheap.

I have to say that forums like this are a godsend , I wanted a 440 70 gtx pie and air grabber base. Guy on here had one for 500USD and im in canada so be like 650$ canadian way out of my price range, but the good FBBO member accepted a trade for my spare parts laying around and some cash on my side. I love it when im suprised by people who will help a guy out and do some horse trading. Then there are all those local Flippers that steal up all the good parts for pennys on the dollar then wont sell for less than a small fortune, people like that are killing it for the little guy. As for vendors, last resort if I cant find the part here on FBBO or kijiji in my case. Rather put cash back in the publics hands.

If there's 4 million cattle in the feedlots, a pound of hamburger will be cheap.

If there's only 100 head of hogs in the feedlot, a pound of bacon will not be cheap.

I'm running for President and I say a chicken in every pot! :)

I sell at Carlisle for the Chrysler show. If I get there any later than Tuesday the week of the show I have guys wanting to buy parts as I unload. You know they are the vendors mentioned in this thread.

First of all, I am thankful parts are being reproduced and that used parts and sometimes nos are still available. Without it, our side of the hobby would be more time consuming and expensive.

On the reproduction side, parts can be made more accurate for sure. Plenty of china crap in the marketplace for sale but the quality is mediocre at best but price is top dollar. Mopar has always been more expensive. But as time goes on, fewer parts are going to be available and nos is going to continue to go up. I hate it but I understand why it is that way. It is not a poor man hobby for sure.

I run a big show and swap and they about flip the truck over to get the stuff out from the garage cleanout guys!!! I was setting vendors up this past show and I noticed something I needed so I asked and bought why I was doing that guy came over basically bought the guy out later that day prices were triple! He took most home with him what didn't fit he tossed ! Guess who was on clean up ! Most everything found its proper home within a week for free .

I Know the one guy but who is Joe?

Auto Transport Service
Back