• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor plates

69clone

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked quite a bit. But I am just curious I have decided I should run a motor plate because my 440 is bored .060 over and I don't want to risk any extra damage to the thin sidewalls or distortion... So my question is there a preference for plate? I will be running an alt and power steering. I am hoping it should be fairly simple to rig up a way to mount both. I know there is one company that sells them setup for power steering but its 3/8" (my waterpump is milled 1/4") but I suppose I could find an 1/8" spacer... and cut to run their pump not a standard style.

My friend runs the one made by AR ENGINEERING. It's a nice piece and Andy even makes a shim for the lower pulley so you don't have to cut the water pump housing.

Had one made for my car. 5/8" thick and pocketed to reduce some weight. This is on another engine, just to show it. I run an electric pump and aftermarket pulleys and accessories.

wury1z.jpg

!!!#!$@##:!!! Where in the hell do you come up with this stuff MM!!!!! I need to come by and rummage through your dumpster!!!

That is bad ***! I wish I was still working as cnc machinist we made one for a truck but I never got around to trying to come up with one for mine...
The only problem I have with the AR is its 3/8" and i don't know how much I'll need that space with my aftermarket radiator. Guess I need to mock it up.

One of my best friends made it for me. He had TONS of time into it. He even corrected the crappy laid out dimensions that come on most commercial plates[water-pump holes, etc]. I just asked him to make me a thicker one, with all the same mounting points....and I got that. I was truly humbled by his generous nature and talents.

H
One of my best friends made it for me. He had TONS of time into it. He even corrected the crappy laid out dimensions that come on most commercial plates[water-pump holes, etc]. I just asked him to make me a thicker one, with all the same mounting points....and I got that. I was truly humbled by his generous nature and talents.
Hell my friends come over and ask if I have anything in the fridge..or to watch their dog while their out of town...I need new friends!!!:wtf:

I have great friends. But, I also always try to be one. I've had to weed-out a bunch of ******** over the years. True friends are important for one's mental health thru-out a lifetime.

That's awesome. All my good friends are scattered across the country... I miss when I was working in a factory as a machinist I didn't find out Til a few months before I moved that a couple of my friends were building their own **** with stuff the company deemed trash during the night shift when no one was around.... And I had full access to my 5 axis mill and cnc lathes. I've asked some friends to send me a set of extension for my hood pins like you see on some a12's at shows.
Anyways.. I'm about to make some calls on the motor plates mainly the AR engineered one (3/8") and the magnum force (1/4") that's cut out for power steering and alt. Thinking I'll set it all up with the stock motor mounts and then put the plate on to make sure it sits in the stock location

Funny, a few of my really good friends are hundreds or thousands of miles away. I talk with them more frequently than the local ones...cause I don't see them as often.

I use a low-mount, alternator mount on my cars.

Well I went ahead and bought an AR engineering 3/8" plate. It is profiled with triangles cut outs. I bought a 1/8" spacer for the crank and will use my 1/4" milled water pump.. To keep everything lined up.

Well I went ahead and bought an AR engineering 3/8" plate. It is profiled with triangles cut outs. I bought a 1/8" spacer for the crank and will use my 1/4" milled water pump.. To keep everything lined up.

Awesome!

Michael Doty makes a great low mount alternator kit. DMI is, I think, the name of the company...
I lost his info.

Looks nice only complaint is it's got a couple scratch/dings and the back is covered in the material info.

image.jpeg

I think I'm doing this right? I put a bare block in using the motor mounts and then installed the plate. I don't have the tranny in but kept it parallel to the fenders.

image.jpeg

I'm in the middle of the same thing right now. What I did was put the trans in with the mount to get a location of where the motor should be, bolted up the belhousing to the engine and marked where my mounts should be. With these plates it does a good job putting the engine in the right spot left to right, but without having the trans where it should be, you might be setting yourself up for failure.

H

Hell my friends come over and ask if I have anything in the fridge..or to watch their dog while their out of town...I need new friends!!!:wtf:
Sounds like some of mine but now that I'm ancient :D and am not doing so much work on other people's cars anymore, most of them don't come around anymore. Actually, none of them come around anymore lol

I have great friends. But, I also always try to be one. I've had to weed-out a bunch of ******** over the years. True friends are important for one's mental health thru-out a lifetime.
Amen to that! Had one so called friend that was making more money than me and yet was still borrowing stuff. He ruined my floor jack by dumping it out on the road because his pickup didn't have a tail gate and didn't tie it down. It had all this road rash all over it and it leaked when he brought it back then acted stupid about anything being wrong with it saying that's the way he got it and it worked fine. I guess I should be happy that he even bothered to bring the damn thing back.....

I'm in the middle of the same thing right now. What I did was put the trans in with the mount to get a location of where the motor should be, bolted up the belhousing to the engine and marked where my mounts should be. With these plates it does a good job putting the engine in the right spot left to right, but without having the trans where it should be, you might be setting yourself up for failure.
Thats kinda what I figured out after I got the engine in there. I don't want to screw it up now that I'm this far along. I'm going to get the tranny in there and I think i'm going to put the actual motor in there just to be safe after reading your post.

I'd suggest to run a mid plate too if not do a limiter to keep the engine
from going back & forth

there's a bunch of companies making them
click on photo it says co. name in the description on most
competition Engineering, Magnun Force Racing, AR engineering
there's many more too

Mopar Motor Plates #1.jpg Mopar Motor Plates #1a 70 Dart.jpg Mopar Motor Plates #2 Magnum Force Racing.jpg Mopar Motor Plates #2a Magnum Force Racing.jpg Mopar Motor Plates #3 AR Engineering.jpg Mopar Motor Plates #4 B-RB Competition Engineering.jpg

Thanks I am using a poly trans mount. I don't want to run a mid plate but I do plan on a limiter. I'll probably use the method shown in schobers thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back