• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Simple” Toe-in question

Kowal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
Quick question. I seem to be having a hard time visualizing the puzzle to fix my problem.

My 69 Charger has too much toe-in…1/8”. My fault, I do the alignment manually using the various commercially available fixtures. I need to tweak it back. But…

When driving my car tracks straight and rides great, but the steering wheel is out of position, clocking to a 1 o’clock position. Which side am I tweaking to straighten out the steering wheel as I adjust to a 1/16” toe-in?

Why would you think 1/8" is too much? That is what I had mine set to. That is within spec even by Rick Ehrenberg's "Skosh Chart"

1709419005626.jpeg

Try bringing the right side inner and outer tie rod ends closer together.
Mike

If you want to straighten out your steering wheel, you need to move both tie rod adjusters an equal amount. That will keep your toe measurement where it is now. I wouldn't think 1/8" toe is terrible, especially if it goes down the road nice and doesn't wear tires.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Got the steering wheel straight, toe-in between 1/16 and 1/8.

I also find it's uncertain if everyone is measuring their toe in uniformly mainly when using i
I agree with this ,
However the measure ment is total tow in.
So what ever it is it is .
The steering box will find center when driving that's why the steering wheel moves to one side or is not 12 o clock.
I do my own alignments as well and to get the wheel perfect you have to set total tow to 1/16 to 1/8 in then drive it if wheel is not center to your liking . Do this,
While driving straight move wheel to where you think it should be and pay attention does Car turn left or right with the wheel center while driving?
For ex if centering the wheel make car go left then the front of the left tire has to come IN 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the left tie rod.
And the front of the tire on the right has to go OUT the same amount on the right tie rod . This will get the wheel straight.
You are going to be creeping up on strait wheel .
Some times it takes 3 test drives and adjustments.
Once you get the wheel straight ahead
Set final tow to 1/8 inch in but make sure to do it equally with both side tie rods.
I know this sounds long winded but it can be done.
Helps to lock steering wheel when adjusting tie rods or have somebody sit in car and hold it straight ahead is the best.
Hope this helps.

I agree with this ,
However the measure ment is total tow in.
So what ever it is it is .
The steering box will find center when driving that's why the steering wheel moves to one side or is not 12 o clock.
I do my own alignments as well and to get the wheel perfect you have to set total tow to 1/16 to 1/8 in then drive it if wheel is not center to your liking . Do this,
While driving straight move wheel to where you think it should be and pay attention does Car turn left or right with the wheel center while driving?
For ex if centering the wheel make car go left then the front of the left tire has to come IN 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the left tie rod.
And the front of the tire on the right has to go OUT the same amount on the right tie rod . This will get the wheel straight.
You are going to be creeping up on strait wheel .
Some times it takes 3 test drives and adjustments.
Once you get the wheel straight ahead
Set final tow to 1/8 inch in but make sure to do it equally with both side tie rods.
I know this sounds long winded but it can be done.
Helps to lock steering wheel when adjusting tie rods or have somebody sit in car and hold it straight ahead is the best.
Hope this helps.
So "total toe in" means half the difference between the rear measurement and the front measurement, measured at the vertical height of the center of the wheel, at the outermost tire circumference?
Meaning one, the tire diameter will effect this measurement? Another reason toe angle is more accurate for comparison sake, but difficult to measure accurately for the DIY

Auto Transport Service
Back