• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moving away from stock body

Mark1972

Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
I can only fit a 14"X2" air filter under my stock hood, and while it's doubtful that it's holding me back mechanically, I would certainly like more airflow and increased cooler air feeding the engine. Being it's a 1970 Plymouth Satellite, and essentially bone stock body except for the black painted grill, does adding a hood like the one below to my car put me in the "tribute" or "cloned" group, as I'm pretty sure Satellites never came with one like this. I'd just like some thoughts. I've never had interest in pretending to own a GTX, RR, etc. There is a pretty stout 440 under the hood mind you.

PXL_20220911_212220495.jpg

01-1644253137497@2x.jpg

I'd say you're already in the cloned/tribute group, having installed a 440 in it...nice car by the way.

Just adding, if you don't badge the car as a RR/GTX, it's not cloning in the official sense, lol

It's your thing do what ya wanna do if it makes you happy, let the haters hate... I'd drop that hood on in a heartbeat, gives it an aggressive look IMO.

It's your thing do what ya wanna do if it makes you happy, let the haters hate... I'd drop that hood on in a heartbeat, gives it an aggressive look IMO.
Yep, have no issue at all with nice cloning. Did it on my 1st resto and actually somewhat on the ’63 Fury having some Sport Fury features I added; though no badging as a SF. As others have posted, it’s about making your vehicle the way you want it. Some nice clones and retromods get big bucks as it is.

I can only fit a 14"X2" air filter under my stock hood, and while it's doubtful that it's holding me back mechanically, I would certainly like more airflow and increased cooler air feeding the engine. Being it's a 1970 Plymouth Satellite, and essentially bone stock body except for the black painted grill, does adding a hood like the one below to my car put me in the "tribute" or "cloned" group, as I'm pretty sure Satellites never came with one like this. I'd just like some thoughts. I've never had interest in pretending to own a GTX, RR, etc. There is a pretty stout 440 under the hood mind you.

View attachment 1343010

View attachment 1343011
Go with what you like, putting a hood on your car would not make it a clone, or tribute. Cool car btw. Just have fun my dude.

It's not a clone until you put roadrunner stickers or gtx badges on it. Besides, satellites were around before rr and gtx were even a twinkle in ma mopar's eye. Car looks awesome either way!

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I contacted Glastek and they quoted me a fibreglass hood, the same as in the pic, using hinges and latch as stock, and said it's a custom job, and quoted me what seemed like a fair price. I'll make a decision in the coming weeks. Working construction winter can be slow. Not sure the wife would understand. "Hey honey, I didn't get groceries this month, but check out my new hood".

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I contacted Glastek and they quoted me a fibreglass hood, the same as in the pic, using hinges and latch as stock, and said it's a custom job, and quoted me what seemed like a fair price. I'll make a decision in the coming weeks. Working construction winter can be slow. Not sure the wife would understand. "Hey honey, I didn't get groceries this month, but check out my new hood".
Haha, telling your wife that would be unpleasent. No such thing as a bloodless war. :)

Nice looking, don’t be scared of what others think, do what you want, and enjoy your car. But yes, out that hood on it, it’ll complement the car nicely.

With hood clearance issues on a 440, I have used a 1.25" drop filter base and a K&N open element top. That seemed to work out good as far as enough air flow. That is if you don't want to replace your hood.

Are you wanting to keep the car in a certain category for the benefit of......? I've always done what I want to my cars and didn't worry about it however I won't cut up an original high end car that's worth a ton of money. I mean most of this stuff is becoming expensive but not like a Hemi Charger or road runner.....

Who cares if it's a "clone"? Build what you like.
Doug

Who cares if it's a "clone"? Build what you like.
Doug
There has been a picture of a four door one of none 70 roadrunner ( actually belvedere) on the net. I first saw this car at a dealer named PJ's autoworld in clearwater, florida. The car has gotten around. It's unbelievable the amount of hate that car has received People yapping about how he won't get the money back out of it that was put into it, or how could that guy desecrate the roadrunner name. Maybe it was done for fun, and not what it could be sold for. Chances are the people trashing that car never owned a mopar muscle car to begin with. Isn't this hobby suppossed to be fun? I understand the value of true mopar muscle cars, and i would not screw up a true rt charger, super bee etc.

Juse
Just don't follow that statement up with "you need to lose a few pounds anyway " and you might get away with buying the hood and keeping all your teeth ! Lol

Rationalize a different direction. With all the Blue, the women really notice it, If I change the hood, only guys will look at it.

Auto Transport Service
Back