• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moving to Texas

Tomorrow we need to be out by 6pm, no problem….or so I thought. We have filled 2 16ft. Pods and I have a 20ft. enclosed trailer that will be taking all need till the Pods arrive in Texas.

It’s been raining so friggin much here lately (Commiefornia) that I thought the trailer should move from the backyard to the front due to the rain. So my wife gets in our truck (11’ Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 4x4 68rfe and Thuren 3inch lift on 20’s with 35’s). She’s to the trailer, I hook it up and she’s in 4lo, and I tell her do a U turn but do not stop! She didn’t stop, but she wasn’t steady with the throttle and the truck/trailer got stuck!

Airing down might have helped, however I’ve already packed my air compressor/air tools into 1 of the Pods and the small electric interior (house) compressor is in the trailer but may/may not fill my tires and nobody in the neighborhood has an 220volt air compressor. So from 9:30am this morning to 3pm this afternoon, I was trying every trick I could think of to get both out to the front yard. Mind you, my wife was in the truck and I was putting pavers/wood/chain link fence/rocks and cussing my head off all the while it’s pouring!

So I called my cousin (I sold him our Grandpa’s 99’ Dodge 2500 4x4 levels on 35’s) to see if he could come out after he’s off work and give us a tug. Not a problem (since did give him 3k in parts for his truck recently).

He gets here around 6:30pm, has a hard time getting his transfer case into 4lo (did I say it was muddy?) and I hear the tcase grind! Yuck!! Finally goes in, hook the tow strap up, wife is in our truck and I’m using my phone to talk to him cause he straight piped his truck, and that did. Both trucks and my trailer are now in the front yard.

My cousins can’t get the tcase into 2hi, for a 1/2 hour I’m under his truck and all the linkage is in perfect shape, I try the push/pull as he’s doing from inside the cab and no dice! Finally he takes the boot off the tcase lever and a bolt is missing!! WTF! Then he spots it, it blocking the lever from going all the forward. He was able to get it out while I went to grab some tools from my top box that I’m taking in the trailer (just in case). I get back to him and he’s got it screwed in and give him the ratchet with a 10mm socket and bingo, tcase does what it should.

It’s been a loooong day!!!

The 10 mm socket wasn’t missing? That must be a first!

What Kern Dog said, Commiefornia doesn’t want to let you go, but Texas is ready for you!

She’s even being nice and giving you good weather.

595EF619-DCEF-493C-8E8B-C2AA8465FF9B.png

It was a whirlwind long day. I started packing the trailer at 7am, my Dad and Uncle showed up at 9. Holy crap, we have a lot of stuff! My trailer is filled, the wife’s JGC is filled, will need to repack her car cause it’s taking up too much room and my daughter had to ride in the middle in my truck, not good if something happens. So I’ll repack tomorrow morning before we leave the hotel. Need to put more air in my rear truck tires, trailer tires and the rear airbags on the truck.

It was a whirlwind long day. I started packing the trailer at 7am, my Dad and Uncle showed up at 9. Holy crap, we have a lot of stuff! My trailer is filled, the wife’s JGC is filled, will need to repack her car cause it’s taking up too much room and my daughter had to ride in the middle in my truck, not good if something happens. So I’ll repack tomorrow morning before we leave the hotel. Need to put more air in my rear truck tires, trailer tires and the rear airbags on the truck.
Have a safe journey buddy. :thumbsup:

Made it to Flagstaff Arizona about 9:45pm. I’m getting 10pm pulling the trailer doing 60-70mph. Going up through Tehachapi, coolant temp hit 218*, then the fan kicked in the temp dropped to 204*! Was glad everything is working as designed.

There’s snow on the ground in Flagstaff, but the roads are clear. Temp is 28* right now.

Tomorrow morning we head to Cannon Air Force Base and stay the night there. I’m tired, hungry so that it’s for today.

Good on ya, drive safe!

And if you’re going to be in Clovis NM, definitely STAY ON BASE.

When I was young and in the Air Force I always stayed on base while trailering any vintage car I had, and never lost any sleep.

Awesome!!! I hadn't visited this thread since things went sideways, had no idea you'd had a miracle happen... Congratulations on your escape!!!!!

Strong winds at yer back. And may the Good Lord get you home and safe an hour before the devil knows you’re there……..

Last edited:
No going back now and you packed up all the good times and brought them with you to this really sweet new life that's waiting ahead, I'm glad for you!! As I have told my wife a few times, in 6 months you won't even remember all this crap when your new world unfolds and covers up the old. Be safe, Ulli.

Made it into Clovis NM at 7:30pm local time. This leg of the trip was sooo much better after we pulled into a Firestone tire place and they filled up my air bags! I didn’t notice how low we really were until I saw it last night. Towing much better and the roads seem smoother, lol!!

Last leg is tomorrow morning, should take us 6 hours to pull into the driveway. Then make a mad dash unloading the trailer to get the beds out for a good nights sleep.

Wife should be happy, Tuesday we will go into town and buy a new washer/dryer and fridge!!!

My best mileage pulling 8000lbs is 12mpg today! Her JGC is is getting 27mpg. Commiefornia gas/diesel is ****!

Wife should be happy, Tuesday we will go into town and buy a new washer/dryer and fridge!!!

This part cracked me up.
I know you didn’t mean this in any rude sense but I love making “woman’s work” references to the wife.
It is like saying that you bought her an iron and a mop for Christmas.
Funny ****.

I have a small opinion on the laundry and fridge stuff………it’s gotta work!

Auto Transport Service
Back