• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6AL Trouble

Hankohop

Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
So I recently purchased an MSD 6AL digital ignition control box (Part number 6425). I hooked it up as per the instructions and the car fired up and ran strong. After a couple of hours, I went to start the car and have no spark coming from the distributor (Proform part number 440-431.)
I bypassed the voltage regulator, I just got done double checking all of my connections and fixing everything that was questionable and still nothing. I extended the power wires on the MSD box with 10 gauge wires, which seem a little bigger than the wires on the original harness. I did use butt connectors while setting this thing up. Everything seems to be in working order but I feel it's important to mention this.
The coil wires, magnetic pick up and everything else is connected accept the white wire which isn't normally used on Mopars anyway. I have disconnected the coil wire from the distributor to check for spark and the box and coil are producing spark during the test MSD recommends. However, during cranking, I have nothing.
I'm thinking it might be the distributor. I did just install a new cap and rotor once I found I wasn't getting any spark but that did nothing for me. I'm at a loss considering the engine ran totally fine once the box was initially installed but suddenly it stopped. Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Can my distributor be shot? Are there further tests I can run that would tell me whether or not my distributor is cooked?
I figured I'd come to the pro's for this one so thanks in advance guys.

Oh wow. I have stock type wires on there. You think they might be causing that issue? I'll get a set of msd plugs on there.

Alright, so here we go. The UPS guy just dropped off my MSD plug wires. I put them on an still no spark. I checked the battery and I only had 12.2 volts so I threw it on the charger. Kind of kicking myself for not charging the battery last night but we'll see what happens.

May seem a silly question, but is your coil mounted upright or on its side? Had to go vertical on the '83 D150 440 after converting the box. The coil got too hot.

I have it mounted upright! I have the box and coil mounted side by side on my fender well, Probably should have mounted the box inside of the car though.

Are you still wired through your ballast resistor?

Still nothing. I charged the battery and initially I got spark. Now, nothing. I am running a group 34 battery, I'm wondering if it just doesn't have enough juice?

Still nothing. I charged the battery and initially I got spark. Now, nothing. I am running a group 34 battery, I'm wondering if it just doesn't have enough juice?
Pick up in distributor may be bad

blue and brown wire at ballast MUST be connected together. One is power in start, the other in run key positions.

Look up the MSD website.
There is a testing procedure to check the 6AL.

Are you using the factory wiring as your key on? I know your using new heavy wires as your power, if your using the factory key on wiring the voltage is degraded while it’s being cranked and your MSD box won’t stay on, try hooking it the key on wire straight to the battery and see if it starts

Are you using the factory wiring as your key on? I know your using new heavy wires as your power, if your using the factory key on wiring the voltage is degraded while it’s being cranked and your MSD box won’t stay on, try hooking it the key on wire straight to the battery and see if it starts
I actually ran it through a kill switch during all this. As of right now I just have the key turning the starter. I'm actually tinkering with it right now. I took another distributor I had and dropped it in. Whats weird is that spark will travel through the distributor but it's not firing while cranking. I'm wondering if I have to hook up my old module. I've heard about guys having to use the module to trigger the ignition while the msd does the rest od the work. I guess that'll be today's project.

I have sold hundreds of MSD units back in my former life with a speed shop. I also have used them in my own hot rods for over 35 years and installed them in several friends' cars. On Mopars, I have never used anything other than the MSD installation wiring on page 36 or 37 of the MSD manual. Coming up with "inventive" solutions for wiring electrical components is usually asking for trouble.
Try this:
1) Disconnect the Mopar distributor wire connector (black and orange wires).
2) Green wire from the MSD box goes to the black wire from the distributor.
3) Violet wire from the MSD box goes to the orange wire from the distributor.
4) Heavy RED wire from the MSD box goes to Battery (+) (on battery (best) or starter relay).
5) Heavy Black wire goes to Battery (-) (on battery is best).
6) Small Red wire from MSD box goes to original Coil (+)wire.
7) Orange wire from MSD box goes to Coil (+) terminal (nothing else on terminal).
8) Black wire from MSD box goes to Coil (-) terminal (nothing else on terminal).
9) White wire is not used. Use shrink wrap to seal end of wire.
10) The original Mopar ECM is disconnected and not used.
* All connectors should be soldered or crimped securely and shrink wrapped. Grounds must be clean and tight. Engine to body and engine to battery grounds are very important.
Good luck...

# 7 should be worded nothing more on terminal? Your directions are clear, MSD has options that can be confusing.

I have sold hundreds of MSD units back in my former life with a speed shop. I also have used them in my own hot rods for over 35 years and installed them in several friends' cars. On Mopars, I have never used anything other than the MSD installation wiring on page 36 or 37 of the MSD manual. Coming up with "inventive" solutions for wiring electrical components is usually asking for trouble.
Try this:
1) Disconnect the Mopar distributor wire connector (black and orange wires).
2) Green wire from the MSD box goes to the black wire from the distributor.
3) Violet wire from the MSD box goes to the orange wire from the distributor.
4) Heavy RED wire from the MSD box goes to Battery (+) (on battery (best) or starter relay).
5) Heavy Black wire goes to Battery (-) (on battery is best).
6) Small Red wire from MSD box goes to original Coil (+)wire.
7) Orange wire from MSD box goes to Coil (+) terminal (nothing else on terminal).
8) Black wire from MSD box goes to Coil (-) terminal (nothing else on terminal).
9) White wire is not used. Use shrink wrap to seal end of wire.
10) The original Mopar ECM is disconnected and not used.
* All connectors should be soldered or crimped securely and shrink wrapped. Grounds must be clean and tight. Engine to body and engine to battery grounds are very important.
Good luck...

# 7 should be worded nothing more on terminal? Your directions are clear, MSD has options that can be confusing.

Semantics, Fran. If you prefer 'more' that's fine. The point is that only one wire goes on each terminal of the coil...

Got it. I'm going to run through everything again. I did put a new distributor in so hopefulley that was part of the problem. If it doesn't work, I'll see what msd cant do for warranty.

Auto Transport Service
Back