• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6AL Trouble

Got it. I'm going to run through everything again. I did put a new distributor in so hopefulley that was part of the problem. If it doesn't work, I'll see what msd cant do for warranty.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel on MSD CD boxes. If you hook it up exactly like my post above, it will work. If not, just follow MSD's troubleshooting on their site. Either it will "SNAP" or not. If not, that's the time to contact them or who ever you purchased it from.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel on MSD CD boxes. If you hook it up exactly like my post above, it will work. If not, just follow MSD's troubleshooting on their site. Either it will "SNAP" or not. If not, that's the time to contact them or who ever you purchased it from.
Yeah, I tried the method you've suggested and I still got nothing. So what I did was hooked up my old ignition with the chrome box and Accel 8140 coil and still nothing. I was always able to get the coil to spark through MSD's trouble shooting method. because of this, I figured the coil was good. Now, I have the coil out of the car and my secondary resistance is pretty high. I'm reading that the secondary should read 9.2k ohms and I'm reading 9.6k ohms. Perhaps it's the coil that's whats causing me headaches? What coil do you suggest I use?

Yeah, I tried the method you've suggested and I still got nothing. So what I did was hooked up my old ignition with the chrome box and Accel 8140 coil and still nothing. I was always able to get the coil to spark through MSD's trouble shooting method. because of this, I figured the coil was good. Now, I have the coil out of the car and my secondary resistance is pretty high. I'm reading that the secondary should read 9.2k ohms and I'm reading 9.6k ohms. Perhaps it's the coil that's whats causing me headaches? What coil do you suggest I use?

This is the coil that I use and recommend. I'm big on using components from one manufacturer in the ignition system: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8200/overview/

In my post #17, item #6 says to take the original wire that went to the (+) coil terminal and connect it to the small red wire on the MSD box. If you are removing the ballast resistor, which you should, then both wires that were on the ballast need to be tied together so that you have IGN 1 and IGN 2 connected together and then fed to the coil (+) terminal. It sounds like you are missing the wire that is hot while cranking...

Hankohop,

I've ran MSD ignition systems for over a decade.

Like Coloradodave mentioned, the setup is the same for nearly all of them. Two heavy power leads, one (+) to battery positive and another (-) to battery negative. One switched (12-volt) source (to power on the unit in basic terms, but must continue to provide power during-after cranking), my preferred method is a toggle or rocker switch hidden in the glove compartment, ashtray, or center console for theft deterrent. Coil wires, they're easy to distinguish. Distributor connection, fairly simple once again.

It was already running, so I wouldn't believe you've wired anything incorrectly. Easiest check would to have a family member or friend verify that the LED light flashes when you apply your switched (12V) source and is flashing during cranking on the ignition box. That would rule out the ignition box at this point. I've had to replace (2) CD ignition boxes in the past, that were brand-new.

Are you using a factory style replacement coil with this system?

If so, you really need to transition over to a MSD Blaster 2 coil (which a member has posted above). I've never ran a factory style coil with these systems.

Last edited:
Alright, I took all of the wiring off and reinstalled it all. I figured I'd take the day to start from scratch. I actually did run it from a toggle switch. I picked up the MSD Blaster 2 and figured I might as well start from scratch in case during my whole conundrum I managed to disconnect or incorrectly wired anything. Still nothing. The light itself does actually come on and flashes 5 times. Which is because of the tach setting. Still no spark though. It's gotta be something simple. I'm probably just too close to it right now ya know?

Alright, I took all of the wiring off and reinstalled it all. I figured I'd take the day to start from scratch. I actually did run it from a toggle switch. I picked up the MSD Blaster 2 and figured I might as well start from scratch in case during my whole conundrum I managed to disconnect or incorrectly wired anything. Still nothing. The light itself does actually come on and flashes 5 times. Which is because of the tach setting. Still no spark though. It's gotta be something simple. I'm probably just too close to it right now ya know?

Okay great, while cranking, is the ignition box flashing?

Not while cranking

Probably your issue, I have a 6530. That is the trigger signal from the distributor. Give me a second, and verify in the 6425 manual. Without this connection, the MSD CD ignition box has no idea the engine is even turning over.

Page (7), top of page;
https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-6425.pdf

The LED will flash for every trigger signal from the distributor or crank trigger. You can take advantage of this when statically setting the timing when false triggering the box to troubleshoot. Also, when the engine is not running, the LED will be On when the key is in the On position.

Okay, the GREEN & VIOLET wires from MSD ignition box run to your distributor. Make sure where that harness physically connects to the main MSD harness or into the original orange (which goes to MSD VIOLET) / black (which goes to MSD GREEN) distributor connections, that it is secure / tight. PAGE 16 BTW FOR REFERENCE!

Basically, verify that the MSD harness going to the distributor is connected properly and the wire isn't cut or grounding on the chassis.

Last edited:
Got it. Tomorrow is a new day. Thank you very much everyone for your input btw. So much better than going nuts alone haha. Does anyone make an adapter for the msd to magnetic pickup though? I'm wondering if it would help.

Hank, let us know how the troubleshooting goes. Should only take a few minutes to re-trace the harness from the CD ignition box to the Distributor. If that checks out, I would move onto the Distributor.

Hank, Is your set-up exactly like this? (See page 16 of MSD instructions for Chrysler electronic distributors). When you did the trouble shooting with the key 'ON' you got spark from the coil wire, correct? No spark when cranking, correct? The only solution is that the wire from the key that provides 12 volts for cranking is either not connected together with the other wire that was on the ballast, or it is not connected to the IGN switch... Could it have been pulled loose?

mine worked , then stopped . sent to msd . it was fixed for about 60 bucks . no issues now .

Hank, Is your set-up exactly like this? (See page 16 of MSD instructions for Chrysler electronic distributors). When you did the trouble shooting with the key 'ON' you got spark from the coil wire, correct? No spark when cranking, correct? The only solution is that the wire from the key that provides 12 volts for cranking is either not connected together with the other wire that was on the ballast, or it is not connected to the IGN switch... Could it have been pulled loose?
Could he leave key on and jump starter relay under hood to see if he gets spark or starts the car.

Could he leave key on and jump starter relay under hood to see if he gets spark or starts the car.

Yes, he should be able to. All that 12-volt switched power wire (key-on for most) cares about is if it has 12-volts. MSD just doesn't want owners to provide a source that doesn't have voltage while cranking, the ignition box is 'dumb', it has no idea the car is cranking until it gets a signal from the trigger source (distributor).

Essentially, all the 12-volt switched power does it turn on / off the ignition box. That's the easiest way to look at it.

Hey guys! Sorry i picked up a side job digging trenches for new signs at McDonald's. It's been awesome. Especially today when we got blasted with snow. I usually work from home so now I'm Dodge deprived. Here's what the harness on my distributor looks like though. They did give me that lead but it doesnt snap in.

51ed+6X+uTL._SX425_.jpg

Should I get a different distributor? By the way if you guys are getting snow please be safe! Roads are terrible here in NEPA.

Auto Transport Service
Back