• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Msd blaster coil hot to the touch. No Sparks

Vincent Holt

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
1967 440hp
-All new engine wire harness for Big Block with points.
-New MSD ready to run distributor
-Blaster 2(black) coil
-Msd plug wires

First start ever for breaking in the Cam.
Kicked right over. Turned off for water leak.
Kicked right over again... turned off for fuel leak(30 mintue fix with carb)
Now it doesn't kick over at all...NO SPARK!
I checked with inline plug wire tool.
I have power to the + side of the coil during crank and run position.
I put my hand on the coil..Super Hott!!!
Brown/Blue wires(main harness) tied together ,the little red wire going to + coil, and the orange to the negative side.
No Ballist Resistor.

What the "H" is going on??
Please help I want to fire this thing up!

Here's what I'm looking at.

17145097575794037492481276771762.jpg

1714509781734647117444872105594.jpg

1714509815569721692255972603587.jpg

Normally msd stuff goes orange> coil+, black > coil - and red is the power trigger.

Edit; looks like you are correct on the wiring from what I could see

Last edited:
Black wire to ground

Double check your volts on the red wire to positive side of coil in the run position , and cranking start position

Where is your red wire fed into

Where are you feeding the positive side electric choke off also

Black wire to ground

Double check your volts on the red wire to positive side of coil in the run position , and cranking start position

Where is your red wire fed into
Black wire is grounded to the block

Red wire is mounted directly onto the plus post along with the brown/Blue wires from main harness.

Did the MSD DISTRIBUTOR SYSTEM AND MSD COIL and the instruction instructions stipulate that no ballast resistor was required or did you just assume that it was not needed? What do the installation instructions say....specifically ? What manufacturers model coil was used? What is model of the MSD Ready to Run distributor. Are the components you selected compatible? Please advise specifics ... can you furnish a diagram for the installation.......
BOB RENTON .

Did the MSD DISTRIBUTOR SYSTEM AND MSD COIL and the instruction instructions stipulate that no ballast resistor was required or did you just assume that it was not needed? What do the installation instructions say....specifically ? What manufacturers model coil was used? What is model of the MSD Ready to Run distributor. Are the components you selected compatible? Please advise specifics ... can you furnish a diagram for the installation.......
BOB RENTON .
MSD 8387 Chrysler 426-440 Ready-to-Run Distributor

Screenshot_20240430_172613_Chrome.jpg

Now do your volt readings on positive side of coil

1. Crank / Start

2. Ignition switch run position

Black wire is grounded to the block

Red wire is mounted directly onto the plus post along with the brown/Blue wires from main harness.
Confused

You have all your wires brown blue red going thru the positive side of coil ?

I

I only have a test light.

But yes I get power to + coil during both crank and run position.
With only a test light, you're limited. No actual voltage numbers.
Could try and see with the key on, how bright it is on the battery vs the coil positive.

After you've taken your voltage readings as suggedted and you still have no spark, there are only 2 possibilities: detective module, distributor reluctor settings, in the distributor or a bad coil.....assuming you have all components installed correctly.
BOB RENTON

If I zoom in on your coil photo, to me it looks like you have your + and - sides hooked up backwards. It looks like the large black ground wire is hooked up to coil +

Also, don't leave the key on for too long without the engine running.

Also, please let us know or show a photo of where exactly the coil ground cable is connected on the other end. If it's to the head, sometimes this can be a poor ground and cause coil overheating.

With my blaster 2 I use a 1-ohm ballast resistor, but I have a Firecore electronic distributor.

I would of wired things differently in regards to eliminating the ballast resistor and full 12 V

Quick test

Run a jumper wire from positive side ignition coil to positive side battery and see if it starts quick when cranking over - Leave other wires hooked up to ignition coil

Let us know either way - Don’t forget to take jumper wire off when done

Auto Transport Service
Back