• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD box and spark plugs

Watchthis

Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Just thought I'd put this out there, just in case someone is or does have this problem I've been battling. MSD does not recommend using anything but copper cored spark plugs. I've been having ignition problems and was convinced it was my el cheapo Pro Comp distributor. Last night I raised the hood in the dark. There was a fireworks show under the hood. I had light arching from two plug wire boots on each side of the engine. I also had arching from the secondary to the primary posts of the coil. I grabbed the ohm meter and ruled out a bad coil. Disgusted, I closed the hood and called it a day. I spent the day thinking about the problem. Obviously, current follows the path of least resistance. Since I was getting an arch at the plug boots, I ruled out plug wires and distributor. That left only the plugs. That's when I went to the MSD website to find out what plugs are recommended for my MSD street fire set up. The MSD techs say to use only copper plugs. Evidently the Platinum and iridium plugs run too hot. Said that in some cases they can get hot and act as a glow plug. They recommend the original heat range copper plugs for your particular vehicle. I was running Bosch Platinum plugs. I stopped and got a set of copper autolites and the problem is cured. The car hasn't idled this well in months!

Great info you are passing along here.

You would be surprised how many vehicles have light shows in the dark under the hood. I have seen several in the past.

Thanks,
Mike
God Bless America

Just thought I'd put this out there, just in case someone is or does have this problem I've been battling. MSD does not recommend using anything but copper cored spark plugs. I've been having ignition problems and was convinced it was my el cheapo Pro Comp distributor. Last night I raised the hood in the dark. There was a fireworks show under the hood. I had light arching from two plug wire boots on each side of the engine. I also had arching from the secondary to the primary posts of the coil. I grabbed the ohm meter and ruled out a bad coil. Disgusted, I closed the hood and called it a day. I spent the day thinking about the problem. Obviously, current follows the path of least resistance. Since I was getting an arch at the plug boots, I ruled out plug wires and distributor. That left only the plugs. That's when I went to the MSD website to find out what plugs are recommended for my MSD street fire set up. The MSD techs say to use only copper plugs. Evidently the Platinum and iridium plugs run too hot. Said that in some cases they can get hot and act as a glow plug. They recommend the original heat range copper plugs for your particular vehicle. I was running Bosch Platinum plugs. I stopped and got a set of copper autolites and the problem is cured. The car hasn't idled this well in months!

I'm going to say I think this should be a sticky!

I was wondering about the wires to use on my msd.Stay with wires from msd or after market set?.

The light show under the hood is from **** wires.I use the regular NGK plugs,about $20 a set.
I also use FIRECORE wires.>>> http://www.firecore50.com/

4.7.15 002.jpg 4.7.15 003.jpg 4.7.15 004.jpg 5.13.15 003.jpg 5.13.15 004.jpg 5.13.15 005.jpg 5.13.15 007.jpg

I use MSD wires no problem

Ignition wires have a service life depending on various reasons like cheap wires, heat/ground exposure and high voltage. My opinion is about 2 or 3 years of use with headers and they are pretty much cashed. Also a very good test is a hot humid night and look under the hood while hot and running, can be quite a light show. I always use the MSD complete system but I think I will go with the Moroso this year as my wires are on the 4th year and are probablt cashed. You can test with a VOM for resistance as well as other test equipment but they can and will jump if the conditions are right.

i test new wires with an ohm meter. then i have baseline to check wires again if i think something is going stupid. i make my own wires and come to rely on the msd 8.5mm cable. i've done the platinum plug thing vs copper core. ive seen no advantage to the platinum and in fact have found a much higher resistance in some of the so called "better" plugs. i do test plugs with an ohm meter too. a multi-meter can be your best electrical friend.

The platinum advantage is that the electrodes will not erode like the regular plugs do, thus the 100K life span.

I wonder if the MSD recommendation is relevant for the Mopar orange box as well?

When my Holly Pro strip annialator went bad,I went with a programmable 6al-2 and never looked back.

I was wondering about the wires to use on my msd.Stay with wires from msd or after market set?.
I KEEP TELLING PEOPLE THIS: M S D WIRES HAVE LESS RESISTANCE THAN MOST ALL OTHER WIRES ON THE MARKET ! I won`t use anything but. 4th hotrod w/ them, never a problem. they also have a set w/ adjustable (bendable) ends.

Auto Transport Service
Back