• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Multi Angle Plug Wires

Lexi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
I'm installing the new plug wires on my 69 383 Sport Satellite. Some of the boots are challenging to get to "click" onto the plug, due to tight access, particularly on #1 and #3, because of battery tray and power steering box, coupled with the TTI headers. I've applied small amount of dielectric grease to the ceramic plug portion, which helps with pushing the boot on, but don't hear an audible "click" onto the plug on some. Ive tried to check if they are indeed on by lightly pulling to be sure, and lightly wiggle side to side to be sure no movement, but hard to tell with some that I have them fully seated, and connected onto the plug, due to the tight work space. Any suggestions are welcome. Tried to attach a couple photos showing the problem areas, but keeps saying file too large. I'll try to figure that out but in the meantime, THANKS in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Stop listening for an audible click If the boot looks down all the way as compared to the others that you think are fully seated. Ie: I think they don’t always ‘click’ especially after they’ve been on and off a few times

Good point. Appreciate your input. Thanks.

My experience with MSD wires wasn't a good one. The plug end terminals are mild steel without memory. Push them on, they open up and stay open. Then being loose they start to back off after a couple of heat cycles. The ones I had installed new started coming off during a cam break in. Just what you need.

Went with Firecore wires which have stainless steel terminal ends that clip on with a snap and they stay put.

Metal clips might have expanded. Other than replacing ends try smashing terminal a bit. Use padding on pliers to prevent cutting boot while squeezing. If boot breaks, they needed to be replaced anyway.

My experience with MSD wires wasn't a good one. The plug end terminals are mild steel without memory. Push them on, they open up and stay open. Then being loose they start to back off after a couple of heat cycles. The ones I had installed new started coming off during a cam break in. Just what you need.

Went with Firecore wires which have stainless steel terminal ends that clip on with a snap and they stay put.
That’s good to know. Appreciate you sharing your experience. I’m going to try working with these for now. Just put them on and only have an hour max run time. Will look into Firecore in future. Thanks for weighing in.

Metal clips might have expanded. Other than replacing ends try smashing terminal a bit. Use padding on pliers to prevent cutting boot while squeezing. If boot breaks, they needed to be replaced anyway.
I’m going to check that out. If I find any movement on terminals I will use the protected pliers to gingerly assure tighter connection. Thanks!

I bought a set of those to go on my motor.

If the MSD wires mentioned above are their 8.5mm wires, the terminals are not mild steel, they are s/steel & very good quality. They have a cap/clamp at the spark plug end & dist end to stop the terminal from spreading apart & coming loose. I have used & built many sets, never had a problem.

Wipe way excess dielectric grease; excess will attract dust/contaminants that could cause misfires.

If the MSD wires mentioned above are their 8.5mm wires, the terminals are not mild steel, they are s/steel & very good quality. They have a cap/clamp at the spark plug end & dist end to stop the terminal from spreading apart & coming loose. I have used & built many sets, never had a problem.

Wipe way excess dielectric grease; excess will attract dust/contaminants that could cause misfires.
Yes-should have mentioned they’re the 8.5mm wires. To clarify; in the extremely tight areas, like #1 & 3, hard to get a good grip due to crowding from headers, battery tray, power steering box, and dip stick. Hard to get a good grip to push hard enough to know the boots and terminals all the way on. Yes, only applied small amount of dielectric grease to the ceramic area only of plugs and made sure boots and terminals, and plug ends completely clean and free of grease. The plugs that are easier access are no problem, I can feel, if not always hear the terminals click or snap onto the plugs. I‘m going to work on finishing up today if time allows, and just have to wrestle them on best I can tell in the trouble areas. Super tight spots require contortionist skills just getting hands on the boots, then have enough room to be able to push and grip with any real strength. Even if coming up from underneath, it’s challenging. Just have to get it done one way or another. I’m thinking that some of the difficulty is in that the silicone boots fit so tightly, I wonder if they trap just a little air that requires extra push, or perhaps just the way the boots grab so tight. Thanks for weighing in on this.

Auto Transport Service
Back