• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Msd ready to run

maxwell

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Any ideas on why this isn't pointing toward the number one cylinder at TDC. I have thought I was 180 out for the last 2 days now then I caught this. It's a 318 engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 343
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 380
I don't think "pointing at #1 " is critical. What is critical is when #1 is at TDC, (on the compression stroke) you put number 1 wire where the rotor is pointing. Does it not run? Must be out a few teeth.
I believe you could just pull the distributor and re-install pointing at #1 if you really wanted to.

Pointing at #1 does not mean #1 cylinder. As above, it means #1 plug wire in the distributor cap. Pull #1 spark plug. Using a remote starter, tap the motor over a little at a time with your finger over the #1 plug hole in the head. When the compression tries to push your finger off the hole, stop. Look at your balancer. The timing mark should be approaching TDC on the timing tab. Tap the motor until the timing mark on the balancer is at or near 12* BTDC, then stop. Where ever the rotor is pointing is where you put the #1 plug wire on the cap. Adjust the distributor until the plug wire is directly over the rotor, then tighten the distributor hold down. Wire the cap clockwise (CW-small block), 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. If everything else is right, it will start.
This is the down and dirty way to get the motor started. You can finesse the location of the #1 wire later if you're a purist.
Good luck.

Ok, I will check tdc again when i get off and let you guys know how it goes from there.

Not much I can add to what Colorado said except he's right, do as he said and you should be in there.

just to let you know... I had a ready run for my 383 and a friend bought one the same time for his 440... both cars backfired and died under load... we called msd and they actually told us that quite a few units left the factory and the wires were installed backwards... we switched the wires around in the connector and both cars ran great afterwards..... you think they could have had a recall or something??

Put a ready to run in my Hemi 5 years ago and started and still runs like a champ! Didn't want to have a "box" in the car, removed vac advance for appearance, 64 S/S cross ram tribute car

I will add make sure you do as Colorado.. mentioned in bumping the motor over til you feel the pressure on 1, Balancers can slip and TDC mark can be off. So don't just go by that. Make sure you know by feel where TDC is and then check balancer mark making sure it is at zero.. Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back