• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1974 Charger

19Charger74

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi im 22, Had my Charger for just over 2 year's. I picked it up from Tucker Auto is Peoria Il. I've been working on it as much as i can when time and money will allow me. I've just got the body work done and painted, This winter im going to be pulling the engine and trans out. The transmission is a A727TF which will be getting a shift kit and all new clutches bands and so on. The engine is a 360ci engine from 76 to 79 production years. I'll be putting all new bearings,windage tray,hi-volume oil pump, Hughes cam, porting my cast iron heads, edelbrock air gap intake with a thermo-quad carb.

Jessie and Keith 012.jpg

Jessie and Keith 010.jpg

Jessie and Keith 008.jpg

Jessie and Keith 006.jpg

Jessie and Keith 011.jpg

Neet car..Love the paint. Use to have a 74 SE for a short stint. Always enjoyed the fact you could fit a few cases of beer in front of the radiator and by the time you got to the party it was cold depending on the time of year. You didn't hear that from me though. Ended up selling it to a stary eyed 17 year old kid that came begging everyday just to sit in it. The car by no means was perfect but there was just something about that car he couldn't resist.

Welcome to the site..Enjoy yourself!

Welcome. Nice car. Did you do the paint your self? Looks great.

Thanks everyone. No i didn't paint it myself, i wish i did though. The guy who did paint it was a goof and the pictures make it look much better. He will be going over the car in the spring and fixing any spots that need to be, i got that in writing.

I just recently bought a 74 se and cant wait to get started on it . I love the black and was considering doing mine in black . Are you going to put the wheel well trim back on ? Vinyl top and mouldings?

I just recently bought a 74 se and cant wait to get started on it . I love the black and was considering doing mine in black . Are you going to put the wheel well trim back on ? Vinyl top and mouldings?

Right on! Its very addicting once you start getting into it lol it is for me anyways. I wasnt going to go the Black route but it ended up that way and i love it!
I didnt have the chrome wheel trim or any vinyl. The only chrome molding i have it around the windows over the doors oh and the bumpers.

What kind of rims will you be doing?
I'm getting the Steel rims with the hub caps, not the cop rims/hubs i like the original ones alittle better and i can get a 8" wide rim for the back:grin:

Here's some pictures of my instrument cluster i just painted up real quick. Should have spent a little more time on taping off the trims piece's but looks good for cruising around and looks better then it did before.

stuff 015.jpg

stuff 002.jpg

stuff 003.jpg

stuff 004.jpg

stuff 005.jpg

Nice 74 Charger cant wait to see it done. Im trying to get a 73/74. Im 15 so it may take awhile... How much did you pay for her and parts etc?

I picked it up for 3 grand out of Illinois. With out body work i think i spent maybe 3 grand on parts MAX. I dont really think i spent that much. I got ripped off on the body work lol 8 grand for that. be careful with body guys I haven't met a honest straight forward guy in my time yet, they all seem really nice and honest in the beginning just to get your car then they turn out to be idiots lol i think its all the chemicals.

Next time around i'll do everything myself, I built a good size garage and have plans to build a decent paintable booth in there. My tip for you since your 15 is to pick up a bunch of mopar muscle mags, hot rod mag with body worth and paint articles. Learn how to do minor body work in high school and learn mechanics in high school.

My first car was a 73 Maverick, didn't know cars and took it to a guy to do body and mech work when i was 16, Im still in court trying to get my money and my car back. Lesson learned don't trust people completely and laern as much as you can, you won't get ripped off as much.

Im doing mechanics in high school this fall for the whole year. Body isnt offered but metals is... I dont like the teacher that teaches that so... Yea i could just wing it. Im looking at a 73 rallye with no engine for 1500. It was a 340 rallye but the owner sold the engine... Says he wants to buy it back. Right. Its gunna cost more then the rallye in most cases. So i'll buy a 360 coz there cheap and be done with it.

"axelsmopar" Right on man. The 360ci is a great engine to build up IMO. the 340 is great if your doing a restoration and want that punch, but I think for hopping up its hard to beat the 360. I've got a 360 in mine and its great, they make a killer engine if you can figure out the right cam,heads,intake,headers and carb that all work together lol

I wouldn't by anything by Edelbrock for the car, Its all foreign made crap. Lots of people run the alum heads which are decent for loosing weight but the castings core shift are real bad, valve guides aren't positions correctly or align right. Carbs are junk and so on, been down that road.

$1500 bucks for the car is a good price. Hows the Interior? If its got most of the trim in there or is all there, that will make a big difference. Also make sure you've got the tail lights and housings are there and aren't cracks or chipped to much. those will cost you an arm/leg lol Other then that make sure the frame rails at the back and front aren't rotted.

Let me know if you pick it up and post some pictures on here, I've gone through this car and mostly all 3rd gen information so any question just shoot me a message on here.

Auto Transport Service
Back