• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

More cleaning up today, I wanted to experiment with the wheels. I'll probably switch these 5.5's out for some police 7's when I eventually find some, but for now, on a shoestring, I'll tidy these ones up.

Take one wheel...
IMG_6728.JPEG

and a deck of cards......
IMG_6729.JPEG

and then....
IMG_6730.JPEG

I sprayed the sucker with black Rustoleum, and while it dried I used Nevr-Dull to polish the Police hub cap up, which made a little difference but not much...

IMG_6731.JPEG
IMG_6732.JPEG

And then once it was dried, put it back on and stuff.

I think that's totally acceptable.
IMG_6733.JPEG

Lovely.

Be safe guys!!

Gary

Antenna put in its new place. Just for fun. I likey!

IMG_6749.jpeg

Just wanted to give a shout out to all of you who follow this thread - I hope you're all doing well, and enjoying your summers?? Sending you all my best, and let's all pray that the virus decides to miraculously disappear around...ohh I don't know...November, time? ;-)

But in all seriousness you guys, be safe and be lucky!

Gary

Hi guys,

We are suffering a heat wave here in Utah so we hunkered down and got the car back on the road.

Friday, the carpet kit came from OC Autocarpets. The color isn't anything like I expected, but I'll have to make it work.
IMG_6751.JPEG

IMG_6752.JPEG

The rear section isn't long enough (I think it's for a two-door Monaco/Cordoba/300 maybe)so I had to use some off cuts to fill in some gaps. It looks cream here, it's actually light grey, but nothing like when I ordered it so I am a little disappointed. But we made it work.

IMG_6754.JPEG
IMG_6756.JPEG

We put the seats back in, because we have given up on finding someone to sew them - so we are going to do them ourselves. Later.
IMG_6759.JPEG

My sweet girl, always helping and that smile... ***

IMG_6777.JPEG

Once carpet, seats, trim, headlights, grille and battery were all put back in, we went for a local drive. Not too far, in case the Monaco decides to play silly-buggers. It was so hot, but we loved it. I drove out, wifey drove back. First time she has driven an old 70's tank, she LOVED it!
IMG_6782.JPEG
IMG_6779.JPEG

Now I can use my shop far more efficiently, and work on this in little bits as I go. Perfect.

Next immediate work needed is to find the power steering leak and either replace the pump and the pressure lines or just put a rebuild seal kit in.

IMG_6778.JPEG

I actually like battleship gray.

Especially on the new Chargers and Challengers.

I like yours even better with the blue interior.

Fitting for an ex "squad".

...and I did the "over 100" degrees hustle while stripping and painting my engine compartment.

While wearing a 3M/Tyvek suit and blast hood.

Were it me, I'd be looking for vintage radio gear.

At least a period correct CB and antenna.

...and maybe get a magnetic blue pentastar for the door with a catchy police-like, yet hot rod appropriate slogan.

Hi guys. We had a nice little drive out in the fields of Benjamin today. Car ran good, didn’t get hot despite 97F, I kept a beady eye on the temp gauge. No problems at all. It was a joy to drive it. For no other reason than my happiness, here are some gratuitous pictures for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure) Heheheh
D56196BE-A032-4D07-9D85-E714268D1737.jpeg
012F0B63-CED0-4281-B3DF-3E6C93E71995.jpeg
855058D9-A728-4847-AFD9-544CFD94A7A3.jpeg
7A2516B9-C4D0-4127-A421-EC58CE194F3C.jpeg
47C3A42F-B3D7-4FE2-A54A-E1DE065AA735.jpeg
0FF3ED2E-06AE-4A6A-85BD-F5B9EB833AC2.jpeg
53D237D2-C54F-49E6-AA4B-AB96A8D45998.jpeg
C83C4530-D110-443A-AA27-00E4E77BE302.jpeg
17E09397-AE9C-49F4-AE53-A3B65F1A4114.jpeg

Thats so awesome Gary. Car looks great. It brilliant that you two are enjoying the car. Keep it up and best of luck with your business. I hope you get through this.

Thats so awesome Gary. Car looks great. It brilliant that you two are enjoying the car. Keep it up and best of luck with your business. I hope you get through this.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Thank you so much Hawk and Chargerjase - we really are loving it.

We came into some hate last night with some inbred farm boys in a Highboy (stereotype much?) calling my car a piece of sh*t - which was the epitome of hypocrisy bearing in mind the Highboy looked like it had been recently exhumed) but of course they drove away fast when I beckoned them to come over. After another few minutes that vibe disappeared as we cruised through the fields in the slightly cooler air (92F) without a hiccup. Lovely!

Anyone that would say that about another mans pride and joy is no car enthusiast! Yours has been built with the affection and joy that only a true car person can understand. Thanks for sharing the ride with us, we "get it".

Anyone that would say that about another mans pride and joy is no car enthusiast! Yours has been built with the affection and joy that only a true car person can understand. Thanks for sharing the ride with us, we "get it".

Ahh thanks Greg!

It's funny, around here, if your car isn't perfect and shiny and worth a ton, you are automatically a target for abuse, be it online or in real life. In my experience, internet tough guys and tough guys shouting from a truck in real life are equal in "pussiness" - if that's even a word!! :-D

We love our Monaco. It's not finished. They are never finished. Even with a $10k paint job it wouldn't be finished. But that's not the point. It's a battle ship and one I've wanted since I was 8 years old. I have one that's not rusted out, and everything but the horn works on it, so I am LOVING it.

I'll keep adding to this thread as we do more stuff! You guys are the best!:)

I fitted some spot lights today, that I had left over from my VW Bus. I used the factory holes in the bumper so if I get sick of them, I'll take em off and put the carriage bolts back in.
IMG_6920.JPEG

Then seeing as wifey is out of town, I braved the heat (my A/C has quit blowing cold so I need to find someone with R12) and went for an evening drive in the farm lands of Lake Shore, Utah. Where everyone's mother is their sister :-D

IMG_6923.JPEG
IMG_6925.JPEG
IMG_6928.JPEG
IMG_6936.JPEG

Glad you are driving it and enjoying it - that's the way it should be!

P.S.
This is my favorite shot - great background and the car looks tough. Great Picture!!!

upload_2020-8-10_19-38-25.png

Auto Transport Service
Back