• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

Hello guys!!

How are you all doing? I hope your worlds have all become more normalized and peaceful, since everything was becoming a little apocalyptic...

I can't sell the Monaco. One of my friends offered me $4500, I tentatively agreed, but I made no real effort to actually go through with the sale, so to celebrate, here's a couple of gratuitous pictures of it, in the yard...

IMG_9206.JPEG
IMG_9207.JPEG

Yesterday, during the day, I decided finally, to order the ignition swap-out from Mancini Racing
Mancini Racing Ignition Power Package so I can remove the Lean Burn system.

The car must have heard me, because I returned home that day, started the car and it ran like utter crap. I also decided to try and fix the trans leak. So, up she went...
IMG_0928.JPEG

The leak is coming from the speedometer cable housing, which I bought a seal kit for last year. Since then, I've done less than 100 miles, but I've gone through a large jug of trans oil, so the seal kit was obviously useless.
IMG_0931.JPEG

It's coming from the middle, where the cable enters the round red housing. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, reinserted the seals and added some oil resistant gasket maker. Let's hope that does the trick.

While I was under there I spotted the dreaded potential rear main seal leak again.
IMG_0930.JPEG

I have been dealing with an exceptional amount of stress, other cars, daily drivers, three jobs, but I must say it's great to find a spot that I can get back to driving this big old barge, and I promise not to be a stranger and post as regularly as I can for you!

Best wishes to you all!

Gary

Last edited:
Nice to hear from you, and glad you are holding on to the car. I think you'll regret selling it.

Hang in there my friend and enjoy the car. I'm enjoying my 73 right now driving it across country. (Search Hawkrod or look in the general discussion thread and you'll find it.)

Hawk

The speedometer housing needs a hold down clamp and bolt to keep it in place.
Send me a PM if you need one. I have a few spares....

Great to hear from you Gary! Stay at it, give 'er hell! :thumbsup:

Nice to hear from you, and glad you are holding on to the car. I think you'll regret selling it.

Hang in there my friend and enjoy the car. I'm enjoying my 73 right now driving it across country. (Search Hawkrod or look in the general discussion thread and you'll find it.)

Hawk
I'm gonna go check that our right now Hawk!!

The speedometer housing needs a hold down clamp and bolt to keep it in place.
Send me a PM if you need one. I have a few spares....
Well spotted Kern Dog - I have that, it's just not installed in the picture! Thank you my friend.

The fact that the lean burn is still functional is pretty impressive. I was removing those for people back in the early 80s. They rarely worked after a few years. Don't forget to swap out the carb as well.

The fact that the lean burn is still functional is pretty impressive. I was removing those for people back in the early 80s. They rarely worked after a few years. Don't forget to swap out the carb as well.

Agreed - from what I've read, these things would crap out in spectacular style. My car has 102k miles and was garaged for most of its life - I assume those factors have a positive effect on the Lean Burn's overall reliability in the long term. It does stumble on initial acceleration though, and that gets old pretty quickly. That may not be the Lean Burns fault of course, but the system is being filed under T for Trash regardless.

As for the carb, Mancini Racing told me the existing carb would be fine, seeing as I'm not after massive power. However I do have a fully rebuilt Carter in my parts bin. Hmmm...

Agreed - from what I've read, these things would crap out in spectacular style. My car has 102k miles and was garaged for most of its life - I assume those factors have a positive effect on the Lean Burn's overall reliability in the long term. It does stumble on initial acceleration though, and that gets old pretty quickly. That may not be the Lean Burns fault of course, but the system is being filed under T for Trash regardless.

As for the carb, Mancini Racing told me the existing carb would be fine, seeing as I'm not after massive power. However I do have a fully rebuilt Carter in my parts bin. Hmmm...
The lean burn carb won't function without the ecu controlling it. Unless it has already been replaced with a standard one. Lean burn was both carb and distributor. Good luck and really like your car.

Hard to let go of our cars for sure. Think you made a good choice. Part of the family.

Thanks you guys! I appreciate everyones input.

With regards to this blasted Lean Burn conversion though, I must say I am fully confused, and torn between what to do. Many say the stock Lean Burn carb needs to be replaced. Many, including Mancini Racing, say their replacement kit doesn't need the carb replaced as well and it'll work fine.

So as with the internet in general, there's a torrent of potential misinformation at my fingertips. I am also very worried about actually getting my car running after I've switched everything over - as I've never set up a carb, or timed a motor before.

I'll always be a noob.

Glad to see you are back Gary, I don't have any experience with the Mancini kit but I don't think they would steer you wrong. Jump in there and get it done!

Thanks you guys! I appreciate everyones input.

With regards to this blasted Lean Burn conversion though, I must say I am fully confused, and torn between what to do. Many say the stock Lean Burn carb needs to be replaced. Many, including Mancini Racing, say their replacement kit doesn't need the carb replaced as well and it'll work fine.

So as with the internet in general, there's a torrent of potential misinformation at my fingertips. I am also very worried about actually getting my car running after I've switched everything over - as I've never set up a carb, or timed a motor before.

I'll always be a noob.
I had a 77 diplomat with a 318 lean burn that I converted to the standard mopar electronic ignition.
I did not touch the carb, it would burn the tires after I converted it.

This is a great opportunity for you to learn as you progress and we all started somewhere. Review the information for your plans and look over the car and then jump in and take your time and lots of pictures. Many times over the years I wished there were so many easy ways to track any job with pictures. You got this and we’re here if you get stuck. Pictures, pictures and more pictures.

Hello guys!!

How are you all doing? I hope your worlds have all become more normalized and peaceful, since everything was becoming a little apocalyptic...

I can't sell the Monaco. One of my friends offered me $4500, I tentatively agreed, but I made no real effort to actually go through with the sale, so to celebrate, here's a couple of gratuitous pictures of it, in the yard...

View attachment 1299603View attachment 1299604

Yesterday, during the day, I decided finally, to order the ignition swap-out from Mancini Racing
Mancini Racing Ignition Power Package so I can remove the Lean Burn system.

The car must have heard me, because I returned home that day, started the car and it ran like utter crap. I also decided to try and fix the trans leak. So, up she went...
View attachment 1299609

The leak is coming from the speedometer cable housing, which I bought a seal kit for last year. Since then, I've done less than 100 miles, but I've gone through a large jug of trans oil, so the seal kit was obviously useless.
View attachment 1299611
It's coming from the middle, where the cable enters the round red housing. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, reinserted the seals and added some oil resistant gasket maker. Let's hope that does the trick.

While I was under there I spotted the dreaded potential rear main seal leak again.
View attachment 1299610

I have been dealing with an exceptional amount of stress, other cars, daily drivers, three jobs, but I must say it's great to find a spot that I can get back to driving this big old barge, and I promise not to be a stranger and post as regularly as I can for you!

Best wishes to you all!

Gary
Great car and great thread! Have you tried changing your oil pressure sending unit. If this is leaking it looks a lot like the rear main seal. Changing the oil pressure sending unit helped a lot on my 360 Cordoba.

I had a 77 diplomat with a 318 lean burn that I converted to the standard mopar electronic ignition.
I did not touch the carb, it would burn the tires after I converted it.
You have a very good memory. I know there was a reason I replaced the carbs but I am not sure what it was all these years later. I also vaguely remember that there were slight differences between the years of leanburn. Was it no ported vacuum on the carb base?

Hi guys!

Hope your week is going well.

The Mancini kit is going to be ordered here in a minute, but first the transmission issue HAS to be sorted, for many reasons, one of them being I cannot stomach the smell of ATF any more :-D

Greg Ducato is a legend, (thanks Greg) and has helped me figure out that the speedometer cable housing seal kit I put in all those months ago DID NOT include the small retaining clip to fix the smaller black seal in place, see picture...
IMG_1003.PNG

...so I bit the bullet, ordered it again, and paid for the shipping to get here by Friday. $25 in all, which really pisses in my cornflakes. But oh well, what can you do other than bend over and take it in the tailpipe. I'll install that on Saturday, and with any luck, it'll fix my transmission leak!

This weekend just gone, was hot. To quote Robin Williams in Good Morning, Vietnam, it was Hot, Damn Hot. Real Hot. It dawned on me that my survivor dashboard needs a carpet topper. So I made one...
IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0992.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpeg

It was too hot, especially working inside a car. So this little piece is sat on top of the dash for now, and I'm hoping to get out there and finish it some time this week.

That's all for now folks, stay healthy!

Great car and great thread! Have you tried changing your oil pressure sending unit. If this is leaking it looks a lot like the rear main seal. Changing the oil pressure sending unit helped a lot on my 360 Cordoba.
Hello brother - yes I changed the sending unit way back in 2019 for a new one BUT you have reminded me that the threads can leak and also the insert can crack (or so I read) so I am going to get in there and check that - thanks for the reminder!!

This is a great opportunity for you to learn as you progress and we all started somewhere. Review the information for your plans and look over the car and then jump in and take your time and lots of pictures. Many times over the years I wished there were so many easy ways to track any job with pictures. You got this and we’re here if you get stuck. Pictures, pictures and more pictures.
Thank you so much for your encouragement - I sure do appreciate it!

Auto Transport Service
Back