• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2020 Ram 1500 Review - after 1 year of driving it

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
I bought a brand new 2020 Ram and took delivery almost exactly a year ago. I ordered the truck to my specifications and I figured I would do a quick review in case anyone is interested in some of my experiences with the truck.

The Truck: A 2020 Ram Laramie Longhorn 4x4 Off Road 1500.
Options: Long bed 4 door and damn near everything except a sunroof and the split tailgate (didn't want them). Another key option is I got the towing package which allows a 11,200 pound tow rating, but that also gave the truck a 3.92 rear.
Here is the truck:
20200307_082050.jpg

20210212_222032.jpg

Now I won't review all the options and how they work - that is all available on-line and/or through a dealer. What I will do is cover a few things I like vs. don't like.

Like (in no particular order):
  • I call this truck my cowboy Cadillac; I love the interior comfort and design. This interior would give the nicest luxury car in the world a run for its money. Super comfortable for long hauls, the rear seats recline, have tons of room and there are lots of power ports, cupholders and comfort options. Even the rear seat passengers have heated and air conditioned seats. You don't travel much nicer than this.
  • The ride. It rides great. Yes, it is a truck but it still is very comfortable.
  • The ability to haul. Even though it rides nice, it was still able to handle over a yard of topsoil without any suspension issues or even squatting down. The air suspension just leveled it out with no issues or complaints.
  • The air suspension. Honestly, at first, I thought this was a gimmick. Great, so you can set the suspension into loading (bottomed out), aero (for highway) normal and high (for off road). I find I use the loading mode all the time. The whole truck squats down and makes it much easier to load and unload it, as well as hook up trailers. It also is nice when I pick up my aging parents so they don't have to step up as much.
  • Overall infotainment system. The huge screen is really nice for the integrated navigation and the way you can customize the screen. My only minor complaint is it can be hard to hit some of the controls when driving since bumps can make it hard to hit the right spot. I also have the top of the line stereo, and it is one of the best I have ever heard.
  • Birds eye view cameras. They provide a live view all around the truck as if there was a camera above you. Works great for tight spaces as well as for hooking up trailers.
  • Start stop feature. God, I never thought I would write that. I have absolutely HATED every start stop feature in any vehicle I have ever had; they are annoying. However, this Ram uses the modified alternator to start the truck as well as move it forward when you let off the brake. There is no lag and it actually works great. I don't turn it off, so that is an amazing compliment from me.
  • Under seat and floor boxes storage. There are lots of places to store stuff neatly.
  • The rear flat floor. With the rear seats up, there is tons of room to put stuff on the floor in the cab.
  • Unlock feature. I have a proximity key. Throw it on your pocket and forget it. Lay your hand on either front door handle and it unlocks. Nice.
  • Off road capability. I can't say I have compared it to other vehicles, but I have taken into muddy fields, down super steep and rutted trails, snow, etc. It has handled it all without complaint or issues. Being able to lock the rear (you get this feature with the 4x4 off road package) is nice and I believe helps its off road capability.

Don't Like (in no particular order):
  • The fuel economy. My 2017 Yukon XL had the 6.2 liter engine with 420 HP and 460 lb ft of torque. No BS, it got between 20 and 21 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH. If driving on roads with 55 speed limits, it got 23-24MPG. I have to say I loved that engine. My Ram has the mild hybrid 5.7 liter engine with less horsepower and torque AND a mild hybrid system to aid with fuel economy. I'm lucky to get 18 MPG with my truck. The rear might have something to do with this.
  • Rear bumper step. I ordered a rear step that folds out from the bumper. Yes, it works OK but it is only available on the drivers side and you need to remember to put it out and back in on your own. Without it, there is no step in the bumper (like GM has, and that works well), and there is essentially no room to put your foot on it with the tailgate down. Bottom line: You need to get the step, you'll regret it if you don't, but it is not great.
  • Tie down points. The bed has four low tie down points and an optional (which I have) bar with moveable tie down points. I think the GM beds have better designed tie down points. This is a minor gripe - overall I have had no issues.
Overall, I am VERY happy with this truck. My main complaint is the lower fuel economy, but I guess I didn't buy a truck expecting an econobox MPG. But I have to say the GM 6.2 engine was a slightly better engine than the Hemi (gasp!).

I'd buy it again, and hope for many more years of service out of it.

Hope this was helpful to some.

Hawk

Last edited:
Beautiful truck for sure Hawk! I have the new Bighorn. Not as "Cadillacy" as yours but not bad. Every time I get a new truck it's a little better than the last one. I have two more trucks in me before I retire. lol I hope!
Yes I love mine. I ordered the 6 cyl. The tiny Hemi. With the 8sp. I can manage up to 28-30 mpg on trips but you have to drive with a egg under your foot. I average around 25. But that dam auto start reeks havoc on the fuel mileage. These -20C days will soon be over. lol
Real nice truck Hawk! Congratulations!

:thankyou:
nice detailed review too
Holy wall of text! Glad you enjoyed it and hope it wasn't too long!

That IS a great looking interior! Glad you like the truck.
That is ultimately what sold it, I've never seen a better interior in almost ANY vehicle. You end up spending hours and hours sitting inside your vehicle, and I'd rather sit in that interior for hours on end than any other brand truck.

Trucks have come a long way. Bet that thing cost a pretty penny, too...
My guess, $60,000 list price.
Don't get me started about the price of trucks nowadays - it is ridiculous. Mine had a MSRP of $68,600. I didn't pay that since my company has fleet discounts with the big automakers. But still, the price was ouchy. My goal it to keep it for a LONG time and try to get every penny out of it!

Beautiful truck for sure Hawk! I have the new Bighorn. Not as "Cadillacy" as yours but not bad. Every time I get a new truck it's a little better than the last one. I have two more trucks in me before I retire. lol I hope!
Yes I love mine. I ordered the 6 cyl. The tiny Hemi. With the 8sp. I can manage up to 28-30 mpg on trips but you have to drive with a egg under your foot. I average around 25. But that dam auto start reeks havoc on the fuel mileage. These -20C days will soon be over. lol
Real nice truck Hawk! Congratulations!
Thank you! Mine has an official rating of 17 City, 22 Highway. I don't think I could get 22 MPG rolling downhill with a tailwind! I drove a loaner Ford F150 the other day with a 2.7 liter turbo V6. That's tiny! But it actually has 325 HP and something like 360 ft lb of torque. It drove OK too, although I am not sure I'd like to try and tow 11,000 pounds with it! I need the ability to tow heavy trailers.

Beautiful truck!! WOW!! Thanks for sharing.

nice truck, I bought a 2020 laramie 2500 cummins, big money too, I had an issue with the big screen radio they replaced it without a hitch, other than that its a hell of a truck. owned it for about 5 months. it gets around 20mpg when I'm not towing. unbelievable torque around 980 ft. lbs. owned several new gmc trucks bought new, this is my second Ram, way better truck for the money imo. I chose the 6.4 long bed:poke: because an 8' bed and a crew mega cab was just too much. I got a trailer if i need to haul longer stuff
20200911_193358.jpg

nice truck, I bought a 2020 laramie 2500 cummins, big money too, I had an issue with the big screen radio they replaced it without a hitch, other than that its a hell of a truck. owned it for about 5 months. it gets around 20mpg when I'm not towing. unbelievable torque around 980 ft. lbs. owned several new gmc trucks bought new, this is my second Ram, way better truck for the money imo. I chose the 6.4 long bed:poke: because an 8' bed and a crew mega cab was just too much. I got a trailer if i need to haul longer stuffView attachment 1068520
Beautiful truck! I thought about the Cummins. It's a hell of an engine with stump pulling torque, but I decided that the 2500 was more truck than I needed and that I was better off with a 1500; the Cummins is not available with the 1500. The 1500 is a bit more comfort but less loading and towing capacity, but my little 1500 can still tow 11,200 pounds, and that is enough for me.

Have you pulled your Bird behind it yet??
Not the 70 Road Runner, but I did tow the 73 Road Runner just recently. Open trailer, and it pulled it without breaking a sweat, even up the Pocono mountain inclines.
20201228_104636.jpg

Beautiful truck! I thought about the Cummins. It's a hell of an engine with stump pulling torque, but I decided that the 2500 was more truck than I needed and that I was better off with a 1500; the Cummins is not available with the 1500. The 1500 is a bit more comfort but less loading and towing capacity, but my little 1500 can still tow 11,200 pounds, and that is enough for me.

Not the 70 Road Runner, but I did tow the 73 Road Runner just recently. Open trailer, and it pulled it without breaking a sweat, even up the Pocono mountain inclines.
View attachment 1068530

Beautiful Truck even if it isn’t Lime Light :D

yes I bought a fifth wheel and did some traveling last fall and will continue this summer bought the cummins for that, otherwise its overkill for what i usually do also. I figured I could get my money back on the cummins when i sell it. that was a 10k option. i wish i would have ordered the leveling system though. sounds like a good option.

Since we are splitting hairs!

I said above "Long bed 4 door". It's the longest bed you can get with a 4 door 1500. 6'4" vs. the 5'7" bed. :poke:
6'4" is the new 8'! New math!
I was just bustin yer nads a bit. My Dakota has the 6' "long" bed, also.

Beautiful truck Hawk and thanks for the review. Ram has won MT TOTY for three years straight. You mention gas mileage; I was looking at the Tundra but they're rated at 13 -17 mpg. My 440 Coronet gets better mileage!

Beautiful Truck even if it isn’t Lime Light :D
I would have bought it Limelight if it was available!

yes I bought a fifth wheel and did some traveling last fall and will continue this summer bought the cummins for that, otherwise its overkill for what i usually do also. I figured I could get my money back on the cummins when i sell it. that was a 10k option. i wish i would have ordered the leveling system though. sounds like a good option.
The Cummins IS big bucks, but if it was available for the 1500s I would have taken the plunge. I agree that you can likely get that back in value of the truck later on. Plus, what is not to like about almost 1000 lb ft of torque?!? :D

6'4" is the new 8'! New math!
I was just bustin yer nads a bit. My Dakota has the 6' "long" bed, also.
Yeah, kinda sad that that the difference between the short and "long" bed is only 9"! :screwy:
I would have struggled if an 8 ft bed was available. I want an 8 ft bed for drywall and other 4 x 8 stuff so it would fit inside with the tailgate closed. BUT, for the number of times I need that vs. the extra length with a 4 door I'm not sure I would have bought it. 8 ft material does fit without hanging over the tailgate on the 6'4", so that is good enough for me.

Beautiful truck Hawk and thanks for the review. Ram has won MT TOTY for three years straight. You mention gas mileage; I was looking at the Tundra but they're rated at 13 -17 mpg. My 440 Coronet gets better mileage!
Yeah, none of these vehicles gets great mileage. But my Yukon XL was rated at 20 highway and it actually got near 21 most of the time. My Ram is rated at 22 and there is no way in he77 it will even get close to that - rather, it is more than 4 MPG less than it is rated. So it seems GM rates their vehicle MPG much closer to reality.

Auto Transport Service
Back