• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My $300 a month budget 69 RR project (AKA, Wholly crap, what did I get myself into)

Been a while since I posted, thought I'd check back in... My car is currently off the road because a certain dumbass decided it would be a good idea to trade a working carb for a 670 CFM Holley Street Avenger of unknown origins... turns out it was thrown together from a variety of parts and non-functional.

So currently working on sorting out that mess (I'm starting to really hate carb work). Also gonna pull the cover on my diff to see what's what and start ordering parts to lower gearing down to something more manageable.. most likely 3.54's.

After that, I had been wanting to start building a motor, but I might hold off till next year (taxes hurt me bad this year) and just do a cam swap on my current motor to get rid of the 509 cam that is just too much for my needs considering I'm running the car down in the 1K -4K RPM range most of the time.

I recommend the large Summit cam. Good idle and power number k6401...

I gave in and bought a new carb... car fired right up and ran smooth. I'll leave the box-of-parts carb on the shelf for sometime when my blood pressure is lower.

GA , glad to hear you got you hot rod up and running again , and sice I cant, lay a couple stripes on the pavement for me!

Way to be Scott! Lets see some pics of that new bad boy.

Glad to hear she's running like she's supposed to!

I gave in and bought a new carb... car fired right up and ran smooth. I'll leave the box-of-parts carb on the shelf for sometime when my blood pressure is lower.

Thanks guys... I'll post a couple pics with the new carb shortly.

Project today consisted of changing rear gear oil out and inspecting carrier and axels to see what I've got under the cover in the Dana....

Thank god I did this now!!! In the pics below you can see 1 of the 3 ring gear bolts that is 90% unthreaded... I shudder to think what would happen it it worked its way out any further.

The good news is I had thought I was going to have to change carriers since I have 4.56 gears, I was assuming it was a 5 series carrier, but it looks like someone used a gear shim on a 3 series and since I'm hoping to go with 3.54 gears I should be good. (Please someone more knowledgable tell me I'm interpreting that right?)

Also, I don't know 1 carrier type from another.. Anyone recognize that carrier? Powr-Lok maybe? I will also post in the appropriate section of the forum... I'm headed back out to the car shortly to tighten up the ring gear bolts. when I do, I will have to spin the rear wheels and maybe I can get some numbers off the carrier.

IMG_9489 - 2015-05-03 at 12-29-16.jpgIMG_9490 - 2015-05-03 at 12-30-57.jpgIMG_9487 - 2015-05-03 at 12-29-02.jpgIMG_9488 - 2015-05-03 at 12-29-09.jpg

Thanks to some research and helpful posts on another thread, it looks like I have a 3 Series Power-Lok carrier, which is great news as I won't have to replace it to go down to 3.54 gear set.

I'm going to re-torque the loose bolts and get it off to a shop, for the gear change, sometime in the next 30 days hopefully.

Just got off the phone with Alan's Gear Works down here in Clearwater... quoted $890 parts and labor to swap over to 3.54's

Too funny!! That falls into the wholly crap side of things !:laughing6:

Exactly!

Thanks for the creative financing suggestion Goon... Unfortunately, not, But maybe they have a layaway plan.

I am breaking the $300 budget to spend some of my bonus check from this year, the good news is I already planned on doing it, but after realizing last night that 1 of the bolts was starting to shear it's threads and 5 more were only finger tight, it is a safety hazard that must be dealt with expeditiously.

Boy that could have gotten really ugly, just shows it's always better to take a look.

Boy that could have gotten really ugly, just shows it's always better to take a look.
the same thing was going on when I took Jeff's car apart. loose as a goose. I really like this car. and you have done a hell of a job. just drive the snot out of it. budget, smudget, fudge it.

the same thing was going on when I took Jeff's car apart. loose as a goose. I really like this car. and you have done a hell of a job. just drive the snot out of it. budget, smudget, fudge it.

Thanks... It's been a great experience.

As for the budget, It's self imposed, so no harm done... I'll play one less round of golf and call it even (that's my creative math).

- - - Updated - - -

Amen! I'm just glad I finally got off my butt and looked when I did.

Dropped my baby off today to get a new set of gears, should be able to pick her up tomorrow. I'm kinda hoping for that, wow! It's like a whole different car kinda feeling going from 4.56 to3 3.55s

Are you going to take the Car to them. Or do you have to take the gear Assembly out and take it to them.

Dropped my baby off today to get a new set of gears, should be able to pick her up tomorrow. I'm kinda hoping for that, wow! It's like a whole different car kinda feeling going from 4.56 to3 3.55s

I'm sure it'll feel a whole lot different - 4.56 is a pretty is a pretty racy gear! I have no doubt you'll be loving the sound and feel of the 3.55 at speed since you won't be revving as much, but you will also miss (just a little) the torque and acceleration of the 4.56s.

Both my Road Runners have 3.55s. I truly think they are the ideal gear for all around use. They are racy enough for some decent acceleration, but low enough that you don't go crazy on the highway. I think they are a great choice. I plan to keep them even when I get my overdrive.

Good luck - hope all goes smoothly!

Hawk

Are you going to take the Car to them. Or do you have to take the gear Assembly out and take it to them.

I took the car to them... Easier than dropping it out without a lift and then finding a truck to transport the rear end.

- - - Updated - - -

They are racy enough for some decent acceleration, but low enough that you don't go crazy on the highway.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for... the 4.56's are fun for burn outs and tearing off the line, but I'm more of a cruiser and 3000 RPMS at 45 MPH is a kill joy, when driving 15 miles to a car show.

That place is not that far from my Parent's house. When I do mine I want 323's with Suregrip. Street Cruiser

Got the Roadrunner back from the shop on Friday. As far as I can tell it seems like they did a good job. The car has a totally different feel to it now, and cruises nicely at 60, which is exactly what I was looking for. The shop set the backlash at .007 and there's no noticeable noise.

So far I'm very happy... They gave me break in instructions, which included not pushing it hard for the first 100 miles so it will be a little while before I can say how it does off the line, but so far so good.

Auto Transport Service
Back