• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My $300 a month budget 69 RR project (AKA, Wholly crap, what did I get myself into)

Wow... seems like it's been forever since I posted anything on my project (only since July though). I herniated a disc in my neck and have been doing physical therapy for 3 months now. good news is I'm finally feeling better and can lift more than 10 lbs... Yay!

I replaced my motor mounts with a set from Mancini last weekend as my old ones were shot. Next up is replacing the clutch as it chatters when I let it out, which sucks big time.

Still working on dialing in the carb just right, but I've gotten it pretty close using the A/F gauge... Interesting learning experience for sure.

Currently trying to figure out why my new PST Pitman arm is not going on all the way... I put this on last year and didn't realize until recently that the drag link is not level.. looks like the pitman arm isn't fully engaged onto the splines of the steering box.

Took a look today at the old one pitman and it looks like it's tapered... in fact I know it is. Is this how they all are? I'm thinking that maybe I have a steering box off of a different car because PST says they sent me the correct pitman for a 69 RR... Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks Dave... Feels good to finally be able to get some more work done.

Here's a pic of my old pitman arm.. I don't recall seeing 4 indexing keys on the new one when I put it on, but the steering box must have had 4 keyways, otherwise this wouldn't have fit on it.

Anyone know what's right for the 69 RR? this is a head scratcher as to why I can't get it to seat fully.

I'll get under the car today and remove the new one and compare.. maybe the splines are just gummed up.

IMG_0033.JPG

Hi GearAddict, I'm in Tampa as well, had any luck finding a good shop?

Did some of the same items on my "66 Coronet (brakes, leaf springs etc), want to have a couple of things checked.

Thanks in advance!!

I also just got a new pitman arm and it isn't tapered (69 GTX) putting a Borgsen box on this weekend so I'll see how mine mates up and get back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW mine did have the indexing spots

Hi GearAddict, I'm in Tampa as well, had any luck finding a good shop?

Did some of the same items on my "66 Coronet (brakes, leaf springs etc), want to have a couple of things checked.

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, I have been out of commission for a little while and missed this.. I still have not found a good shop, but I'll let you know if I do (please post if you find one!)

So after almost a year since I burst a disc in my neck, my doctor finally cleared me to lift over 10 lbs and since my RR weighs like 3,600 lbs more than 10lbs, I figured it was time to get back to work!

I hadn't even gotten her out of the garage in a few months, so last weekend I went to start her up left power off to the dist (I have it wired to separate switch), turned the key and held for 3 seconds to kick the motor over and get some fuel moving to the carb but when I let off on the key, the starter kept cranking!!!! Panic ensued, thankfully the 6 pack hood was off, so I grabbed a wrench as fast as possible and yanked the positive batt cable.

So as it turns out, when I say I "completely rewired the car".. I'm lying, because the 1 cable I didn't replace is the pos battery cable.. I'll post a pic soon, but basically the wires to the solenoid shorted out, melted down, ect.. there was what looked like solder splash on the ground under the car afterwards, so it clearly got hot! The starter cranked for probably 60 seconds straight, so hopefully it didn't ruin anything else. I have new cable on the way, should be here today, so that will be my next item on my list..

On a more positive note, I received my bonus check and this year the Taxman didn't take it all!!!! The past 2 years, I'd get the check in Feb, start dreaming about a new motor (and post here for ideas) and then I'd do my taxes and poof! no money. This year I'm gonna finally be able to pull the trigger.

So on that note.. I will be asking for some additional friendly advice from everyone, so, thanks in advance :) !

And, yes, it feels really good to get back to my project and posting again.

Ok, so as I stated I'm looking to buy a motor. I have decided to either have a builder do it or go the crate route. I considered doing it myself, but I have only done low HP, stock rebuilds (and not the best work or problem free) and I really am shy on time to work on the project these days and would rather put my time into other areas of the car where I have more experience or am not going to junk thousands of dollars if I screw up.

I'd love input on a couple of things from you guys that have gone through this before...

1. What is the break point on HP/torque in a B-body that really is getting into the real of unsafe/unstreetable?
2. What kind of HP/Torque will my set-up theoretically handle?
3. Similar question around durability... will my RR hold up to 600/600 HP/tq? If not, what do you think may need to be upgraded to handle it?
4. What will my A-833 handle?

Car specs that might help...
4-speed (don't know what clutch is in it)
Dana 60 3.55 - Mancini adjustable Pinion Snubber
Sub-frame connectors
HD Springs
non-tubbed
Rear tires = 265 60 15's (looking at adding MT's)

It is a weekend car that will see maybe 2 track passes a year, drive to car shows and terrorize local streets.

I had a 69 chevelle with around 425hp and 450tq w/automatic... that was streetable, fun, but I as always thinking that 500hp/tq range would have been funner :) So 600 must be reeeaaally fun? or just plain scarry on the street?

I'll post this over in engines/general forum as well

Last edited:
NEW STROKER BUILD!
This whole posting once every 3-4 months for a year sucks. I had been stagnant on the car while I'm waiting to go for neck and back surgery (C5-C6, C6-C7 and L4-L5 herniated discs) The good news is I was able to squirrel away my $300 per month budget enough to put a serious dent in a new motor for the RR. I had also been stashing a few parts around for this event, which really felt like money in the bank.

Here is a quick link to one of my many engine build threads in deciding what options I had, matched against my constraints. Great advice given by all, it was huge help in making me focus on what I truly wanted out of an engine, which I will get into soon.

The Verdict? = Stroked Low Deck 470
After a significant amount of time of analysis paralysis, I came upon CL add for a 400 block that seemed like a good deal, as it already had some light machine work done, new billet caps and was rough bored to .030 over. So I took the plunge and bought the block. While picking the block up I got talking with the owner who also runs their Machine shop (United Speed World) Seemed like a pretty good guy and new his stuff, so I asked him what he would charge to finish the machine work and assemble the shortblock for me. The price was in range and I was eager to get some traction on this project, so I took the plunge and tapped him to build a shortblock and warned him to expect parts to flow in fast once I made my choice.

Parts delivered and 2 weeks later, PRESTO!! I have a really nice stout bottom end (and the motor looks durable too!) as a platform to build on/tweek. I went and checked it out and looks like it was a well executed professional job, now I just have to figure out how to get it home.

I will post a more organized list of the build, but I am tired and I know that I can't leave a post without shinny objects to keep your attention :) So for the moment here is some of the parts being used in shiny graphical format.

Stroker Kit Receipt.png

440 Source Stroker kit, Stealth Heads, ect.. (the box with the grease stain on the end is from the crank. It clearly saw some abuse and I was woried that it was tweeaked. but the shop gave a full checkup when it came in and again during balancing and all was good.

2016-07-30 12.38.52.jpg
2016-07-30 12.38.57.jpg
2016-07-30 12.39.01.jpg
2016-07-30 12.40.11.jpg
2016-07-30 12.42.42.jpg
2016-07-30 12.44.01.jpg
2016-07-30 14.26.50.jpg
2016-07-30 14.36.56.jpg
View attachment 358287

Last edited:
nice! hope the surgery goes well.

Dave! how's it going man? Thanks about the surgery... yeah I hope so too, it has been a really bad year since it first acted up, but the past 2-3 months I've only been able to sleep with the help of some pretty heavy prescriptions. I think I only got 40 hrs of sleep in the whole month of June. A mixture of pain, pain killers and insomnia... recipe for a bad time... any way, I'm trynig to stay vertical and hopefully the surgery helps.

View attachment 358297

hangin in there. still in primer,(buddy that was doing the work got COPD)but don't really care. I can drive the car, and that's all that matters. My Uncle passed last year, and left me his '91 W250 Diesel, and I've been trying to take care of it.
Mom had back trouble, and it can be miserable. take care of yourself, that car will be there when you're better.

hangin in there. still in primer,(buddy that was doing the work got COPD)but don't really care. I can drive the car, and that's all that matters. My Uncle passed last year, and left me his '91 W250 Diesel, and I've been trying to take care of it.
Mom had back trouble, and it can be miserable. take care of yourself, that car will be there when you're better.

Sorry to hear about your uncle, sounds like he left you something that was meaningful for him that you can focus on.

I hear ya.. I'm not pushing too hard, I got plenty of time.. and BTW, Primer Grey is F'ng Badass (as proven by the fact that I have choosen that color more often than any other.) :)

Auto Transport Service
Back