• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My $36.50 Oil Change

Look it up for the 5.2.
My shop manual shows no pic of the tensioner or even mentions it.
I guess the bean counters figured it wasn't needed on the 318.
Right. But we are talking about a 3.9 V-6 not a 5.2 V-8. The 3.9 did have it and it was noted for getting noisy.

Right. But we are talking about a 3.9 V-6 not a 5.2 V-8. The 3.9 did have it and it was noted for getting noisy.
I realize that. I had a 3.9 and it was noisy. I ASSumed since tbe 318 didn't have it the 239 wouldn't, either. Must have had to do with the goofy crankshaft on the V6.
I need to do the chain on my 92 318.
Dangit, now I remember reading the 318 didn't have a tensioner but when replacing the chain order the 239 tensioner.
Thanks, guys for the correction!

When I bought my 93 Dakota 3.9l the chain was hitting the cover. (no tensioner)
I bought the chain and tensioner from the dealer for a 99 I think and they were pretty reasonably priced.
It was pretty snappy after i put it back together.
I wonder where the tensioner went? Had the chain been chainged (see what I did) and the tensioner eliminated?

93 didn't come with them. I think a bunch of warranty claims on loose chains likely drove the design

Auto Transport Service
Back