• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 70 Roadrunner Viper build

Looks great, good progress, thanks for the updates too...

yeah them headers & exhaust system look great too

Congrats on the progress, still say you nailed the stance...... that just looks badass! Love the headers, planning on ceramic coating? Floor looks great too.

Man, you have been a busy boy Paul...those headers are definitely looking the business. I can't wait to catch up again some day soon.

Congrats on the progress, still say you nailed the stance...... that just looks badass! Love the headers, planning on ceramic coating? Floor looks great too.
Thanks, yep have got the headers and x-pipe back from coating. Ceramic coating and a polished alloy look. More pics to come soon.

some pics of the brake set up. The fronts are 14" rotors with brembo 4 piston calipers off a Mitsubishi Evo X. The rears are a hotrod kit I bought off ebay, 11" rotors and Eldorado calipers. I had cables custom made to hook up with the original parking brake cable. The brake master cylinder and booster is mounted beside the steering column and came out of a Toyota Hiace commercial van. I have a wilwood combination proportioning valve mounted next to the master cylinder. The front brakes utilize drum brake hubs mounted on Magnum 2" drop spindles. To mount these I only had to machine out the back of the hub for a larger seal and use a different inner bearing to suit spindle. The caliper bracket was machined out of some 20mm steel plate, they are a bit chunkier than I would have liked but it will keep the modification certifiers happy. I still have to bleed hydraulics to finish them off completely. I snuck a pic of coated header sitting in place too.

2016-05-14 15.35.50.jpg 2016-05-08 12.03.39.jpg 2016-05-08 12.04.16.jpg 2016-05-15 08.34.38.jpg 2016-04-23 16.18.50.jpg 2016-05-15 15.23.58.jpg

Do you know what the calipers for the rears came off of? Been thinking about converting to rear disc myself.

Do you know what the calipers for the rears came off of? Been thinking about converting to rear disc myself.
They are the same as a Cadillac El Dorado around 1980 I think. They are okay and they were the right price, but if I was going to do it again I would pay a bit more and get the Wilwood ones with the internal brake shoes for the E-brake. They just look nicer through the large alloy wheel and the E-brake is a more efficient set-up

On the rear brakes question
I've read the Grand Cherokee rear discs & E-Brake are a good & inexpensive swap too
I don't remember how much modification need to be done either...
I have NOT done the swap thou, I do remember reading about it

I have SSBC's still yet to install...

ok continue

Nice build 70 Viper

I have been steadily working on the car but there hasn't been many photo worthy moments. The most exciting part is the car runs and drives, although some adjustments are required. I feel I need to go to a 1" brake master cylinder to reduce the amount of pedal travel. Its not bad but not as good as I would like. he other issue I have is heavy power steering. it appears to be an issue with the box. The reaction springs are a lot thicker than the original box I had. I may have been supplied a rebuilt firm feel box, which will be beneficial when I have sorted it out.
The next exciting news is the car is entered in its first car show. It is in the under construction projects division of the CRC Speedshow in Auckland in a couple of weeks. All I need to do now is sort out a bed for the time I am in Auckland, it could be a sleeping bag in the trunk at this stage haha.
first skid.jpg

first skid.jpg

A short video of the viper running, sorry the sound quality was rubbish.
I will try and film a better one this weekend

Sounds great idling...LOL

it's a major hurdle thou, keep up the great work...

Good luck & Happy Moparing

Okay I got another video of car but still its rubbish sound quality. I took my partner for a quick spin around the block from the workshop, and boy the wind made it a chilly ride. Good news is I had the alignment done today and it all lines up nice and square. I managed to get the front bumper and grilles installed in between wiping off all the dust from the body over the weekend. I am looking forward to catching up with Kiwigtx this week when I take the car to Auckland for the Speedshow.

Love the stance...

yeah no windshield
helps makes for some extreme wind noises...LOL

Its been a while since I have posted any updates on the car. I have been busy tinkering away on it but have had little time to show any results. I am booked for a shoulder reconstruction next week so I will have spare time soon to sit down and type slowly all the latest work. Here is small clip of the car a workmate took the other day. Shame he held the phone the wrong way, I guess that's why he is a mechanic and not a cameraman. The car is still running the open 3.23 rear end at this stage. To be honest I am a little concerned that the 4.11 gear set and suregrip I have might make this a little too lively... haha at least it will bring a smile to my face in between tire changes

Auto Transport Service
Back