• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 70 Roadrunner Viper build

Sounds like a shed raid coming up soon. :thumbsup:
Sounds like a great idea, but might have to wait until I'm fully functional with my shoulder again. Car is hidden away in the corner of the workshop until my return to work. But I'm liking your idea

Next on the list of things to do was the interior. Several things I needed to fabricate and make changes to. When I had it driving I wasn't happy with the brake pedal travel, it was ok but not perfect. I couldn't find an exact replacement master cylinder with a bigger bore size so sent my cylinder away to be machined and sleeved with bigger pistons, but it couldn't happen as there was not enough meat to machine it out. So the search started for something that would bolt up and could be made to work ( a painful process ). Anyway I finally found a Toyota Dyna truck cylinder that I could use by removing the line pressure valves from the cylinder. The only issue was that it was about 1.5" longer. So once again this caused a ripple effect with modifications. New brake lines to proportioning valve, and changing design of dash to accommodate instrument cluster. Oh well , brake pedal is perfect now!
So the dash had been attacked before by someone with sheet metal and large tins of filler! Basically the frame is all I was using it for. I cut all the crap off it one section at a time and folded up a new flat section for passengers side across to instrument cluster location. I then folded up a strip to go around the lens of the cluster and shaped this using the shrinker/stretcher. This was then positioned in the frame and refitted to the car to double check. The original plan was to have the cluster flush or close to the flat face of dash but because of the new brake cylinder this was not possible. After a lot of *ucking around and stitching pieces together I almost have a finished dash. Still a glovebox to make and some final finishing. I made some new slot style defroster vents and machined some billet trims for the top of the dash. I then set about making a center console. Basically I made a frame and then made the rest out of sheet metal. I made a couple of pressing dies to make depressions for the switch surrounds, they worked perfect. I rolled a step in the top face and fitted 1/4" thick machined alloy plate down the center. I still need to machine the shifter letters into it. I cant believe how long I have spent mucking around on the dash and console. I'm still not finished with them yet, aaargh. The next change was the seats, I didn't like the way the race recliner bucket seats dominated the interior of the car. So out they went. I have fitted a pair of BMW X3 sport leather seats and will get the tops retrimmed to hide the head rest holes and round off the top corners. I also have the rear seats and door cards for extra leather for my rear seats if the upholsterer can make it work. The fold down rear arm rest with cupholders in it will be cut down and fitted between the rear seats. This will happen when I am back working. If you read that epic long story you are doing well.
I imagine some will just look at the pictures :lol:

2016-07-31 11.27.29.jpg

2016-07-31 11.27.46.jpg

2016-07-31 16.28.40.jpg

2016-08-21 16.25.25.jpg

2016-08-21 16.50.57.jpg

2016-09-18 14.41.14.jpg

2016-09-04 16.58.38.jpg

2016-10-15 13.46.59.jpg

2016-10-22 13.44.01.jpg

2017-01-15 16.35.31.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking cool now Paul...and I did read the entire story :D
Just one concern I have....are there enough numbers on that speedometer??? :rolleyes::steering:

Last edited:
That's looking cool now Paul...and I did read the entire story :D
Just one concern have....are there enough numbers on that speedometer??? :rolleyes::steering:
Haha, will have to get back to you on that one

Wow what a machine! Very impressive! Console is so damn cool! Looking forward to more posts. Helluva job man!

Any updates?
Give it a few days ....Paul is on a little "Island Excursion" with his partner. I'm sure well get an update shortly. :thumbsup:

I am getting close to ripping down the Island to see where this build is at in person......stay tuned. :lol:

Give it a few days ....Paul is on a little "Island Excursion" with his partner. I'm sure well get an update shortly. :thumbsup:

I am getting close to ripping down the Island to see where this build is at in person......stay tuned. :lol:
I'm back now, :thumbsup: and feeling the lower temperatures of home compared to the sun kissed beaches of New Caledonia. Really interesting place to visit. Saw lots of Dodge Ram trucks there and even stumbled across a meeting of classic cars. I briefly spotted a very nice looking brown 69 Charger. Sorry no pictures as I was on driving duties. I better dust off the car if your coming for a visit , haha. Look forward to a catch up.

I'm back now, :thumbsup: and feeling the lower temperatures of home compared to the sun kissed beaches of New Caledonia. Really interesting place to visit. Saw lots of Dodge Ram trucks there and even stumbled across a meeting of classic cars. I briefly spotted a very nice looking brown 69 Charger. Sorry no pictures as I was on driving duties. I better dust off the car if your coming for a visit , haha. Look forward to a catch up.
Great to hear your holiday was fun. We'll talk soon. :thumbsup:

Okay I finally found some spare time to sit down and organize some photos for your viewing pleasure. I have struggled to get back into working on the car after my shoulder operation, not due to pain but due to my car being stuck in the corner of the workshop and not having enough room to effectively work on it. I modified the recliner mechanisms on the BMW seats to allow them to fold forward more. My thoughts were that it would be fine as only skinny chicks could jump in the back, but I got sick of squeezing my fat *** through the gap to do work on the inside. I finished mounting the rear armrest and modified the parcel shelf to accommodate the stereo speakers. I also recessed mounts for the front speakers in the doors as I don't want speaker grills sticking out of the door cards. I have made the subwoofer box and mounting frame to secure it to the parcel shelf. I then moved on to mounting the third brakelight ( required by law here in New Zealand ) I have used a led lamp from an Isuzu SUV and made mounting brackets which will be welded to pinch weld. The lamp is secured with two small nuts and can be slid into place after headliner and glass is installed. Next on the list was door locks. I made some brackets and welded these to the glass run channel to allow me to mount the power locking solenoids. I also machined up some basic lock knobs as the ones I bought a couple years ago were wrong ( too big , possibly for 71 on models ). Last job done today was to make a battery tray. The battery I will be using is a AXD26R, which is a gel battery so I can install it lying on its side. The brackets on the side will locate the fusible links and relays for fuel pump and trunk solenoid. Hopefully I will get to finishing the dash soon.
2017-06-24 09.28.38.jpg
2017-06-24 10.28.11.jpg

2017-06-04 16.03.42.jpg

2017-06-04 16.03.57.jpg
2017-06-05 17.34.05.jpg

2017-07-30 15.44.45.jpg

2017-07-02 15.14.54.jpg

2017-08-19 14.52.40.jpg

2017-08-27 10.20.32.jpg
2017-08-20 14.20.37.jpg

More photos
Also I made a tool to swage the opening for my led side marker lamps in the front fenders. It seems to work very well in the first test. The holes will be welded up with studs on the inside of the fender to mount the lamps with.
2017-08-19 13.48.40.jpg

2017-08-27 15.30.31.jpg

2017-04-09 14.07.41.jpg

2017-04-09 14.08.47.jpg

2017-04-09 14.08.55.jpg

Very cool, your clearly a talented car builder. Nice shop.
Thank you, I am very lucky that my boss allows me to keep the car in his workshop and work on it on the weekends. It works well for him too as my project has given us some new customer work. Currently rebuilding a 69 Mustang 428 super cobra jet and doing a custom build on a Australian Ford Fairmont with a 514ci stroker. Lots of things to keep me busy.

Auto Transport Service
Back