• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

To find how much clearance I had above my carburetor I set a retractable measuring tape on lock on my engine close to the carburetor and gently closed the hood so that it would push the tape down. I had just under 3".
IMG_1982.JPG

I spent a lot of time looking and trying to decide what I wanted to do. I looked into doing as Threewood suggested and try a ford 13" drop base so I could keep the stock looking cap. It is possible with a shallower air cleaner (2 1/2") and a drop base, but after I considered it I was not comfortable with how little air intake clearance above the carburetor and felt like it would resist air flow so I chose a 14" drop base with air flow through the top also. I might have been alright but I feel that it will have better breathability this way. I had to drop my clearance almost 2" This K&N seems to fit about right.
IMG_2012.JPG

My dad's favorite airplane and all time dream is the P-51 Mustang. He has always dreamed of flying one some day. My brothers and I found a WWII show that was going to be in Henderson Nevada and they rented flying time in a 2 seat P-51 (Toulouse Nuts). We surprised my dad with an early fathers day present and bought him an hours time and took him down yesterday so he could fly it. After the pilot took off he was able to take control and fly it doing maneuvers and rolls for an hour. He was grinning from ear to ear. We had a great fathers, sons and grandsons day.
IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

I'm having a hard time finding a power steering pump for my car. My car didn't have one so I don't have the pulley either. Do any of you have any suggestions where I can find one?
PS6157_thumb.jpg

I know there were 2 brands I think Saginaw is one. I see if I can find where I bought mine.

I'm pretty sure it was year one. You might check Mega Parts also.

Just checked Mega, I didn't see the pump, but they had brackets, pulleys, cap, ect. Might also just try the local parts store.

I know there were 2 brands I think Saginaw is one. I see if I can find where I bought mine.

I'm pretty sure it was year one. You might check Mega Parts also.

Just checked Mega, I didn't see the pump, but they had brackets, pulleys, cap, ect. Might also just try the local parts store.
Thanks for checking. I have checked with the three local auto parts stores here and they all don't have one and there not available in their warehouses. The Saginaw uses different mounting brackets but I will keep checking.

I have a pulley and pump if needed.
Thanks Glenwood, I will PM you.
I did finally find a OER number for one and I have found a couple but they are pricey (like everything else on this car).
OER #PS6157

I tracked down every vendor that I could find that has listed OER #PS6157 and they didn't have any in stock either and the pump would be shipped from the manufacturer OEM. I contacted OEM and my contact was a little miffed that someone from the "General Public" would be contacting them and let me know that the power steering pump was on a "long term back order".

I have been surprised how hard it has been for me to try to find a Federal power steering pump for a 68 charger. I was looking for a Federal pump because I have the brackets for that style of a pump. The only option I ended up with was a TRW style pump that Glenwood kindly offered, thanks. I spent the afternoon digging through parts that I had stored years ago and found I had two power steering pumps I had forgot I had. I had a TRW style pump from a 75 Furry and a Saginaw pump, both with brackets.
This is my Federal pump bracket.
IMG_2063.JPG

TRW Pump.
IMG_2075.JPG

Saginaw Pump.
IMG_2074.JPG

I got a few more things done on my car this week. The hardest thing by far was trying to get my oil dipstick tube installed. Maybe because I bought a cheep dipstick or because I couldn't get any leverage. I spent hours filing, sanding, and retrying to insert the end in the block. I finally put it in the freezer and then had my son push from the top while I tapped it in from underneath.
IMG_2292.JPG

I had an NOS tube and with engine out of the car it was a BITCH! Not sure I would have got it in with engine in. I even made up a sleeve to go around it and hammer it into place.

Looks great! Bet you were thrilled to find the pumps.

I had an NOS tube and with engine out of the car it was a BITCH! Not sure I would have got it in with engine in. I even made up a sleeve to go around it and hammer it into place.
I'm glad to hear that it's not because I'm challenged. I used a fitted wrench to hammer mine in place.

Looks great! Bet you were thrilled to find the pumps.
I am, especially for the saginaw pump. I'm going to rebuild that one to use. I was told that it was more reliable and less likely to leak and they can be worked on and replaced much easier.

I'm glad to hear that it's not because I'm challenged. I used a fitted wrench to hammer mine in place.
I have to agree....it was the biggest PITA to install.....I tried all the tricks.....They are tight for good reason but man how many hours I wasted on this one little thing....I use a box end wrench and a hammer.....

I was able to get a rebuilt power steering pump core at the auto parts store. It was not very expensive but I had to reuse my reservoir. I took it apart, cleaned, painted and rebuilt it ready to install.
IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back