• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Coronet project

TheSwede

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi, as a new member here I will start my project with a short presentation of myself and the car.
After 12 years without a real car, (but with various European junk) the 40-year crisis struck with full power and I searched for a project. Found it in MD and two months later the car arrived to Sweden. The car is a 1970 Dodge Coronet 440 with a 383 and a 727, got a 8 3/4 with unknown gears. The seller was a real nice guy and I bought me a new interior and some other parts and he packed the car full before it was shipped.
The car war originally a 318 car, red with white vinyl top and with interior, since I´m not a resto guy or think that a 318 car are worth an original retoration I will build the car as I want it.
The plans today are Hemi orange paint, black vinyl top, black interior and centerline telstar 7*15 and 10*15. I dont really know what has been done to the engine but it is a -69 383 with a pair of older 516 heads, 68-70 HP exhaust, torker 383 intake and an Edelbrock 750. I mesured the cam on the liters and wiht a 1.5 ratio the lift would be 0.525", it is a hydraualic cam. That is pretty much all I know about the engine, the tranny is stock with stock converter.
The engine now runs great with new plugs so I will leave it that way for now, will spend my time with bodywork and some rustrepair.

Hope to get the help I need from you guys, I will keep you updated with photos!

raggarbilen.jpg

bilen.jpg

Howdy neighbour, lets meet on this webpage also:HappyNewYear:

Welcome to the site.
Best forum site to obtain information and advise I have been a part of. No non sence or internet bullies here.
Good luck on your Coronet.

Looking forward to more pics and progress. I have a 70 Coronet that I haven't seen in years,now I'm thinking its time to dig it out. good luck.

Yeah, not too many 'purists' in here. No one will ever inspect my car(s) with a clipboard and mark me off for having something 'wrong'. I agree, build it the way YOU WANT TO!

It is time to start the resto "for real", I must replace the front framerail, right side and mayby the left side due to RUST:mad: It was something I knew when I bought the car and I have a pair of rust free (sure...):no: rails in the trunk but it still sucks...
And I will also replace the floorpans on both sides, 1/4 pans are also in the trunk.
My Q is where to start? My plan is to remove the front, fenders and engine with tranny but leave the k-member and take one side at a time, bolting the k-member into the new rail to get the position right before weldning. Does anyone have a description how to teardown the front suspension without loosin all the teeths, I have never messed with the torsionbars before...
And I will throw in some pictures...

grrrr, just wrote a long thread and posted it, where did it go, nobody know...

The question was where to start when I am replacing the front framerail, does anyone have some pictures how to remove the front suspension?

Take a guess why the car did´t run well before...

stift.jpg

I have a near twin to your ride. Its Bronze metalic(originaly red) same set up. Except the 440 i dropped in her. But as far as the torsion bars. I love working on them. So much easier than coil springs and struts. All you need to do is unscrew the adjusters all the way down ( with the body suported with jack stands, not suspension) and use a torsion bar removal tool. Its basicaly a v-block drilled in four corners and bolted to a T plate. Just install towards the rear of the bar ( close to the crossmember, but leave about two or three inches) and smacker with a hammer till it pops out the back. Oh and make sure you take the clips out befor you go hammering. thats it.

Thanks everybody, as I am trying to do all things in the sametime I took of the upholstry from the rear bench yesterday. It really smell old, (I would probably smelled the same way if I had never taken a shower for 40 y:))
Is it possible the wash the foam to get rid of the smell? I know that they make new ones but it is hard to find i Sweden and they are expensive as well, there is nothing else wrong with the foam so I will probably give it a shot with some mild cleaning agent today.
I also planned to put some new extra foam in the seat to make it a little softer, anyone tryed that?

Auto Transport Service
Back