• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My GY8 '71 Road Runner

My friend sold this original paint GY8 survivor car a few years ago. It's a good representation of what the color looked like from the factory. It looked pretty yellow gold in the sun.

20210903_161023.jpeg

image000000(5).jpg

Hello all, I wanted to be sure I sealed in the right places before starting the final bodywork. In particular, (1) the seams at the top of the rockers, (2) the seams where the quarters attach to the door pillars and (3) the seams where the quarters attach to the trunk gutters. I was going by the 1971-72 body manual when sealing. It looks like these areas received sealer between the joints at the factory before welding, not over the joints after. Is this correct? There should not be any sealer showing in these areas?

Rocker area as shown in manual:
Seam Sealer Front Rocker.JPG

Rocker and door pillar/quarter panel seam:
Seam Sealer Door Pillar.JPG

No sealer showing in these images (only I could find on internet for reference - unrestored cars):
seam seal locations image of car 2.png

seam seal locations image of car.png

Trunk gutter area:
Seam Sealer Trunk Gutter.JPG

Fender:
Seam Sealer Fender.JPG

Looks like the sealer is visible on this fender:
Seam Sealer fender.PNG

Should there actually be seam sealer showing, spread over these seams or was sealer applied between the joint at the factory before they were spot welded together?

1714068907746.png

Hope someone can answer this for you. Because I can promise you it needs it here. My car was stripped and repainted before I got it. It was done in Arizona and i guess they don't have humidity there like here in Louisiana and my perfect looking door jams are starting to seep rust looking water and stain things. This is happening due to them not seam sealing any of the joints. Big problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back