• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My latest 'dirt' accessory..... root grappler...

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
Guys, new toy to play in the dirt with. Just got some ag couplers as this was intended for a skid steer, so , about ready for play. Hoping I got enough tractor as this thing is pretty heavy. Oh, that little flag sticker on the right DOES indeed come with an extra charge....ha ha....

IMG_0359.jpg IMG_0358.jpg

Going by the thread title........that sounded like an "Adult Toy" :D

How deep, and how big of a root can you dig with that thing?

Going by the thread title........that sounded like an "Adult Toy" :D

How deep, and how big of a root can you dig with that thing?

I have no clue as to size or depth this will go. My tractor is only a 65 horse and it seems this grappler was built for a much bigger machine. I just got the correct third function connectors so , have not even put it on the tractor for a test run. It needs to dry out somewhat here so , maybe this week.

Hope it works out for ya'

looks like a cool toy/tool

Same thing here, I also got a Grapple for my tractor. I also underestimated the weight of that thing. There is a LOT of steel up front and I can feel just a bit of lightness in the rear of the tractor when using it. My tractor is also 60 Hp with 4 wheel drive, probably similar to yours. My solution (hopefully) was to add a ballast box to the rear 3 point hitch when using the grapple. Haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping that will balance things out.

P1010031.JPG

Whoa, Bro, that looks wicked right there. Pretty sure I shall have to follow your lead with putting more weight in the rear....and I have nothing yet.

Yeah I hope the added weight of the ballast box in the rear does it (I already had rear wheel weights on it). Otherwise I'll have to put the thing on a bigger tractor.

Does it pull, or cut as well?

Is it "DR" brand?

Guys, new toy to play in the dirt with. Just got some ag couplers as this was intended for a skid steer, so , about ready for play. Hoping I got enough tractor as this thing is pretty heavy. Oh, that little flag sticker on the right DOES indeed come with an extra charge....ha ha....

View attachment 1255027 View attachment 1255028
Mine looks like it came from the same company minus that fancy red paint. It is heavy and I’ve been using my brushhog to counter balance the heavy stuff. Unfortunately the nice heavy duty ones worth messing with take the loader lift capacity down.

I used a tool similar to that on my 75hp skid steer. I am thinking about renting another one to do a few 100 more feet of my grove. It was awesome, I just dropped the tines in the ground and started moving. It cleaned everything in its way. I also liked how you can pick up large logs and cut them up without having to bend over.

Does it pull, or cut as well?

Is it "DR" brand?

Mine is made by Maxilator, and no, it does not cut anything or pull. Most grapples seem to fall into one of two types, single close, like the clam shell or double grips, like mine. Seems if what you are moving the most is pretty much the same size, like a bale of hay, the single close works best. If you move uneven loads , like a tapered tree truck, the double close helps in securing your load. The root rake tines are made to go down five or six inches and pull up surface roots, as if you are making a road, clearing a lot, making a pasture. Mine is pretty heavy so I am sure I will need more weight in the rear as a counter balance. My tractor should lift 2500-2700 pounds IF I have enough rear weight.....we shall see...I am learning as this in new for me......

Auto Transport Service
Back