• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "new" mechanical tachometer (Video)

- - - Updated - - -

You can't just post cool stuff like that without explaining how it works. Is there a splitter that runs the tach and RPM limiter?

The cable drive limiter grounds out the ignition at the pre-determined RPM setting. As you can see, there is no marking for specific RPM so it is adjusted with the use of a tach. How another cable drive tach is used along with the limiter I don't know, maybe there is a dual drive or splitter available.
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg

I never could get used to the vertigate I had in a different car than the Charger above. I have been thinking about trying it again but hate to hack up the floor. How much has to be trimmed to fit that setup?[/QUOTE]

The Vert-i-Gate requires a BIG hole cut into the floor pan, but also had a Big boot to cover the hole......

I had one of these Mallary Dual Mags, & Crank trigger for a dual plug Milodon Hemi heads I had for my 23 Altered,
I never did use the dual plug heads thou, needed allot of work, {not "actual parts", found photos on the www}
they came with a purchase of 2 Milodon Mastodon Hemi's, Blower to Pan combos, I got in the early 80's...

I thought they were cool, your mech. tach drive reminded me of them...

Attachments

• Mopar Dual Plug Hemi Mallary Crank Trigger dual Distibutor.jpg
    Mopar Dual Plug Hemi Mallary Crank Trigger dual Distibutor.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Mopar Dual Plug Hemi Crank Trigger dual Distibutor Mallary.jpg
    Mopar Dual Plug Hemi Crank Trigger dual Distibutor Mallary.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 165
Way cool. I will have to look up the Mastodon Hemi stuff. D5 ports or earlier 392 based stuff?

Way cool. I will have to look up the Mastodon Hemi stuff. D5 ports or earlier 392 based stuff?

No the Milodon Mastodon it was based on the 426ci RB style Hemi, for Fuel & Alcohol drag racing classes,
mine were 526ci & 540ci, all aluminum...

Maybe your thinking of the early 413-430ci Milodon Hemi's or Donovan Hemi's,
based on the 392ci Hemi had the 354-392 distributor in the rear {like in the Nanook photo},
used for many years after the 426ci was produced even,
it was a mainstay in drag racing until the late 70's at-least...

Milodon Mastodon 575ci Dick Landy build 1975 Hot Rod mag cover,
not much write up on them now kind of outdated,
JP1 {Joe Pisano/Venolia/Childs & Albert fame} & Keith Black, BAE Brad Anderson, AJR Allen John Racing
& a few others were the preferred builders/producers, billet bocks etc.
Milodon Hemi's kind of went away... there were allot of them out there for a while...

484ci Milodon Injected Hemi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWC5tJvaTc

- - - Updated - - -

Milodon History
http://www.milodon.com/company/about.asp

Attachments

• 23 Ford T F-A Nanook Charlie Brent & Ed Donovan1970.jpg
    23 Ford T F-A Nanook Charlie Brent & Ed Donovan1970.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Milodon Mastodon 575ci Hemi Dick Landy 1975.jpg
    Milodon Mastodon 575ci Hemi Dick Landy 1975.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 146
That clears things up! Very, very cool period stuff. For me drag professional drag racing died in the early-mid 80's.

Here are a few pics of my red beater. Stroked RB, pro-shifted 18 spline 833 (currently awaiting Passon Performance face-plated gears), QA1's, tubular strut rods/control arms, cal-tracs (not installed in photo), blah blah blah. Pretty soon we are going to put a 511" low deck in it with the MW port window heads, an Indy 400-2 and the 250 HVH plate. Should pick up quite a bit.

charger_summer_2010_1.jpg100_6316 (Large).jpg

I like points distributors... this is some nice stuff guys.... shhh don't let those plug and play electronic ignition idiotz see too much of this lol

I like points distributors... this is some nice stuff guys.... shhh don't let those plug and play electronic ignition idiotz see too much of this lol

Geez, just when you seemed to be turning the corner.....here we go again. Since I'm one of those plug and play ignition IDIOTS, I should take offense at that, but then I remember my Mom telling me to always "consider the source", which I did, so everything's cool.

My car has been rocking a MSD 7AL-2 for over ten years on the street. I bought it used from one of the early NMCA drag radial guys named Dave Bandt (RIP).

Points alone won't do that, especially on a combo like this. Big cams with lots of overlap need a capacitive discharge ignition to keep the idle clean on the street even if the carb is spot on (aka tuned with a wide band). I think this is why some people struggle with high performance parts on the street. You have to assemble the right combo to make it bearable. I do enjoy the fonzy types that talk big about their 3/4 race cam and dual point setup at the spots. All I say is "shall we line them up?"

I usually end up tuning their cars for them once they see ours run.

Geez, just when you seemed to be turning the corner.....here we go again. Since I'm one of those plug and play ignition IDIOTS, I should take offense at that, but then I remember my Mom telling me to always "consider the source", which I did, so everything's cool.

It's ok if points are beyond you.... I 'll give you a run down... the one stationary thingy stays put when you tighten down the screw.... the other half of the thingy moves with the turny do Bob and if you set it up around about .012-.018 thousandths gap it will make the car run... then there's tweaking it to suit...

LOL.....Load

- - - Updated - - -

Someone's being a baby... Mommy Dave to the rescue with a teat to passify the crying....

got that ugly cable fixed yet Jeremiah? The trick I would offer is to slip the cable through a small hole then make the end up afterwards to avoid getting the fat end through....

Sleepar; I was running single point and dual point distributors (including magnetos) when you were still in diapers. The fact that you continue to try and goad members on with asinine remarks reminds me of another thing my Mom said; "If you're going to have a mental war with someone make sure they have enough ammunition to compete." And you, my friend, don't...

Auto Transport Service
Back