• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new stock stroke 400 build

The gears will remain, but I am looking at picking up a stock 11 inch 340 or 383 converter, or having one built. The cam has been purchased already and it is the smaller Summit grind, 214/224 duration at .050 and 444/466 lift.
duration is fine but would go with 1.6 rockers with that low lift cam.

My buddy called and he is heading to Mancini's tomorrow to pick up my oil pan and pick up. If the crank comes back from balancing this week they should be able to assemble the short block and I can finish putting things together.

duration is fine but would go with 1.6 rockers with that low lift cam.
I will be staying with the stock rocker arms and stock HP valve springs. The lift will probably be fine given the minor amount of porting done to the stock heads.

Thanks for the advice and the pictures. Yes I believe the shop uses cutters with a radius on them. I do plan on having the intake valves back cut. I didn't worry about gasket matching the exhaust because I will be running stock exhaust manifolds, s I wasn't sure it would make much difference. The exhaust ports were a lot cleaner than the intakes, so I just blended out some parting lines.
You can get a slight performance gain by opening up the ports on the exhaust manifolds using an exhaust manifold gasket.

I may revisit the exhaust port openings when I get the heads back. I really didn't spend much time on them.

I just checked in regarding the balancing on my crank. Apparently they are going to need a small piece of mallory to balance the rear of the crank, so that I can use a neutral balance torque converter. I half expected that, so no big deal.

The new oil pan and pickup arrived from Mancini's today. I am impressed with the quality of the pan. It is quite heavy and the baffles are embossed like the original. The pickup has a P part number.

IMG_20240229_221343321.jpg

IMG_20240229_221619967.jpg

Don't forget to check the d _ _ _ _ p_ _ _.

I may revisit the exhaust port openings when I get the heads back. I really didn't spend much time on them.
I checked the factory 73 log manifolds today and they match the exhaust gasket size perfectly, so I assume that the 66 log manifolds will be the same. I am pretty sure the head openings were smaller, so will gasket match the exhaust ports when I get the heads back. I might look at the guide bosses as well.

IMG_20240309_144250765.jpg

I checked the factory 73 log manifolds today and they match the exhaust gasket size perfectly, so I assume that the 66 log manifolds will be the same. I am pretty sure the head openings were smaller, so will gasket match the exhaust ports when I get the heads back. I might look at the guide bosses as well.

View attachment 1624674
Ideally you want the exhaust ports on the exhaust manifolds to be larger than the ports on the cylinder heads.

I know, waiting on the machine shop is driving me crazy.

I'm sure you have considered it but 68-69 hp manifolds would be an improvement.

Thought about it but then I would need a whole new exhaust system. Not in the budget right now.

The crank is back from balancing. They put one slug of Mallory in the rear counterweight and a touch of weld in the factory drilled holes both front and back. The professional products balancer has a weight on it, but I guess it was not quite enough. The welds look like they burned through, but actually the factory balance holes broke right through the side of the throws.

IMG_20240311_144454650.jpg

IMG_20240311_144510124.jpg

IMG_20231029_103856165.jpg

While I was there I picked up the heads to have another go at straightening up the exhaust ports. They should be assembling the short block next week.:praying:

Also they cc'd the heads for me, they came in at 89cc's. That puts the final compression ratio between 8.6:1 and 8.7:1, depending upon actual deck height, which should be perfect for regular gas. Final displacement comes in at 406 cu in.

Auto Transport Service
Back