• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new stock stroke 400 build

Well considering my shortblock was put together 27 years ago and I'd be giving up around 20 cubic inches.
I might not fare too well.
How about after work today?
Mine runs...

My plan is to baseline the current 361 at the track, and then run the 400 just to see how much of an actual improvement there is. The 400 won't be going in until after the summer at this point anyway.

My plan is to baseline the current 361 at the track, and then run the 400 just to see how much of an actual improvement there is. The 400 won't be going in until after the summer at this point anyway.
3.23s ?

No, I am still going to be running the 2.94's, so I am not expecting it to be a rocket off the line, but it does make for comfortable cruising.

To keep it fair Dave should fill the entire trunk and cargo area whereas I'll remove the spare and put a six pack in the trunk.

That would definitely slow me down, because the back bumper would be dragging the pavement.

I dropped by this afternoon and things are moving right along. :thumbsup:

IMG_20240523_142006710.jpg

IMG_20240523_142035292.jpg

IMG_20240523_142046858.jpg

Looking good!
Thoughts; valve covers on wrong sides, and you're running the RH inlet pump?

I was waiting for someone to chime in on the valve covers, that was the first thing I noticed too. I busted their chops about it, but they will be fine like that for the dyno. That is the 73 water pump that was original to this engine, and I am just using that for the dyno as well. It will be switched out for the drivers side outlet when I do the engine swap.

They couldn't give me a date for the dyno yet, but I wanted to be ready, so I grabbed the AFB and pulled the Street Demon and my phenolic spacer off of the Charger, plus my strip kit, so I could take them over to the shop. Should be on the dyno within a week or so, fingers crossed.

IMG_20240523_200211094.jpg

They couldn't give me a date for the dyno yet, but I wanted to be ready, so I grabbed the AFB and pulled the Street Demon and my phenolic spacer off of the Charger, plus my strip kit, so I could take them over to the shop. Should be on the dyno within a week or so, fingers crossed.

View attachment 1667687
Looks good, Dave. I have heard that switching valve covers to proper sides is good for about 10 h.p. LOL.

I heard that you want to reverse them....just like pistons:poke:

View attachment 1667687
Are you going to A/B the carbs? I'm curious how the street demon will do. I have one on my car and i have never had a carb just work sooo well out of the box, haven't driven it yet but just startup/testing so far with it has been a dream

Yes, the shop breaks everything in using their 650 Holley DP. The plan is to have them optimize the tune with the dyno carb, and the switch to the Demon, and then try the AFB. They are both 625's so it should be a pretty fair comparison. The AFB was on the car when I bought it, but the manifold setup was terrible, so it never really had a chance. I bought the Demon for the small primaries, to try and balance economy and power. We'll see.

If the 625 cfm Demon carb works good (some had production issues) and the secondary air valve is adjusted correctly it could possibly outperform the 650 cfm Holley DP.

Just my opinion.

I have been running this SD on the 361 for 2 years, and after a couple of minor adjustments, it ran really well. It will be interesting to see a power comparison though.

Auto Transport Service
Back