• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My old Purple 1971 Hemi GTX 4 Speed car, coming up for auction.

I was thinking the same thing, why no engine bay photo's in the auctions picture display.
Probably an over site from whoever put the ad together.

This is what it looked like when i owned it.

View attachment 918767
IMO the Rally wheels, look so much better :thumbsup:

the go-wing is gone now too

I'd assume it came with the steelys & poverty caps
&/or without the go-wing also Org. from the factory
(not sure, I don't know or I didn't notice or see the fender-tag or build sheet)
or I'd assume, they wouldn't have changed them,
just before going to auction or the 6th or 7th owners personal preferences

maybe they were dealer installed ?, not assembly line ?

Last edited:
Beautiful Brute. Shame it will likely never provide the grins of a romp and bugs in the grill. Hope it goes to the right owner.

IMO the Rally wheels, look so much better :thumbsup:

the go-wing is gone now too

I'd assume it came with the steelys & poverty caps
&/or without the go-wing also Org. from the factory
(not sure, I don't know or I didn't notice or see the fender-tag or build sheet)
or I'd assume, they wouldn't have changed them,
just before going to auction or the 6th or 7th owners personal preferences

maybe they were dealer installed ?, not assembly line ?

I never talked to the original owner, but his son in law, who was a Missouri state trooper, back in the day.
Ben K. didn't order the car with Rallye Wheels, as he had in waiting, a set of aluminum, aftermarket wheels to go on the car when he took delivery of it.
So why pay for Rallye wheels on the order sheet, when the regular dog dish, steel wheels, were immediately going to be coming off.
I put the wing on it, off a well optioned, wrecked, Road Runner that showed up at one of the local wrecking yards, decades ago.

Ya, i liked it so much better with the Rallye Wheels on it.
To me the dog dish wheels make the car to plain looking.
But that's my personal preference, on wheels.
I like well optioned cars.

I never talked to the original owner, but his son in law, who was a Missouri state trooper, back in the day.
Ben K. didn't order the car with Rallye Wheels, as he had in waiting, a set of aluminum, aftermarket wheels to go on the car when he took delivery of it.
So why pay for Rallye wheels on the order sheet, when the regular dog dish, steel wheels, were immediately going to be coming off.
I put the wing on it, off a well optioned, wrecked, Road Runner that showed up at one of the local wrecking yards, decades ago.

Ya, i liked it so much better with the Rallye Wheels on it.
To me the dog dish wheels make the car to plain looking.
But that's my personal preference, on wheels.
I like well optioned cars.
yep that's how it went down back in the day

even is called day 2 mods

may have actually taken more than 2 days :poke:

Beautiful Brute. Shame it will likely never provide the grins of a romp and bugs in the grill. Hope it goes to the right owner.
Ya, that car has become a trailer queen, as valuable as it became.
I was known for driving that car everywhere, pretty much as a daily driver, in my ownership.
I got it off an Air Force captain, B-52 Navigator, at the "lemon lot" as we called it, at Mather Air Force Base, when i was active duty.

I use to see Jim's GTX everywhere... I saw it down in the Cyprus/LA area while I was there for the Long Beach Gran Prix, I saw it in Fremont at the drag strip, I saw it just driving around in Sacramento, I saw it on I-5 around Bakersfield... I saw it a bunch more times.... Jim use to treat it like a car instead of a trophy... I aways respected that...

I use to see Jim's GTX everywhere... I saw it down in the Cyprus/LA area while I was there for the Long Beach Gran Prix, I saw it in Fremont at the drag strip, I saw it just driving around in Sacramento, I saw it on I-5 around Bakersfield... I saw it a bunch more times.... Jim use to treat it like a car instead of a trophy... I aways respected that...
Thank you.
Let's just say, when i sold off the car, the odometer went "around the clock" with all the mileage that i put on it.

Thank you.
Let's just say, when i sold off the car, the odometer went "around the clock" with all the mileage that i put on it.

I remember when you sold the car, I knew the days of seeing it out on the road had passed, not many owners drive the elephants much these days..... I fully get why you let it go but I kinda wish you hadn't....

I remember when you sold the car, I knew the days of seeing it out on the road had passed, not many owners drive the elephants much these days..... I fully get why you let it go but I kinda wish you hadn't....
I used to haul around 440 engine blocks back and forth, to machine shops, in the trunk of that GTX, when i also was driving, racing, my 71 Cuda, back in the day.
Transmissions, all sorts of car parts, anything that would fit in the trunk of that car, it was my transportation.
Knowing some day, the sale of the car was going to become my old age, retirement money, savings, living on money, to get me thru, further into old age.
It's worked out well for me, no sellers remorse, regrets, looking back on it.
The time was right when i bailed out, and the phrase is pretty much true, when you sell it off, you never get another one.
Maybe when the new owner gets a hold of it, i can personally tell him lots of stories.

View attachment 918467 View attachment 918468
This one may be there too. I'm not sure if my friend got his paper work in, but he missed Mecum in January due to health issues. I know he is expecting 185+ when it does sell.
Geez, i don't think that's any good, for the sellers, if two rare cars of the same thing, come up for auction at the same time, and place.
You want two, or three, people getting into a bidding frenzy, over the same car, to drive up the price.
When two come up for sale, knowing there is another one, i feel the price(s) will be lower.
I'll have to bookmark those auction dates, and see what happens.

It didn't sell 250K and the bid goes on.

It didn't sell 250K and the bid goes on.

I'm not up to date on auction lingo, so what really does it mean, "the bid goes on"?
I assumed incorrectly, that bidding would still be happening???

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/indianapolis-2020/collections/the-dr-eric-felix-collection/

The dentist doctor that owns the car, evidently didn't do well in selling his 13 cars in the collection.
Only 3 sold.
Reserve prices were too high, or the market took a dump.
The Hemi GTX bid up to 250K and didn't sell.
Boy, he's got millions Of $$$$$$ in those cars.
Nice to be rich.

Last edited:
They will be negotiating until the auction is over, but the car had a reserve which wasn't met at 250K. The bid goes on, means that it crossed the block and didn't meet reserve price.

Thank you.
What they usually try to do is get the high bidder and the seller together with them and negotiate a deal. Sometimes the auction company will concede some of the fees to make a deal happen. On that price range car there is room for them to give up some to make a deal happen. So it may sell but the price may or may not be disclosed.

I used to haul around 440 engine blocks back and forth, to machine shops, in the trunk of that GTX, when i also was driving, racing, my 71 Cuda, back in the day.
Transmissions, all sorts of car parts, anything that would fit in the trunk of that car, it was my transportation.
Knowing some day, the sale of the car was going to become my old age, retirement money, savings, living on money, to get me thru, further into old age.
It's worked out well for me, no sellers remorse, regrets, looking back on it.
The time was right when i bailed out, and the phrase is pretty much true, when you sell it off, you never get another one.
Maybe when the new owner gets a hold of it, i can personally tell him lots of stories.

That's the saddest thing I've read in a while...

theres one of these in Blue with a hemi (original through and through ) in Saskatchewan.

This one?

4EE9AE7E-E2CB-4FB9-8B7B-02FDA07353E9.jpeg 6DFDCE38-8104-444E-933E-9F586B66D50F.jpeg 83A35A0C-9FF2-48C2-938B-17595F9FB423.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back