• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My restoration dilemma

Hard to tell from the one photo, but....how "bad" is it?

Mine's nothing special as far as options go - '70 Charger 500, triple green, 318, auto, factory a/c, 8.25" rear, 2.73 open, manual drum brakes, power steering. About the most "special" thing on it, is the dual chrome racing mirrors.

Don't care.

I bought THIS car for personal reasons. It's in good shape.

DSC_1188.JPG

DSC_1195.JPG

It isn't perfect. It was painted once, for unknown reasons (every panel is original, but it has a two-shades-off repaint on it). It isn't restored. It's, basically, a 51 year old used car.

But, I can drive it. With no guilt. And no paranoia. Runs great, shifts great, stops...OK (manual drums all around, after all), rides great. Maybe one day I'll dig into the dash and fix the heat and a/c. Maybe. More likely, it'll get upgraded to power brakes with front discs, and retractor-style seatbelts (it is a factory 3 point belt car, but the system is GOOFY!).

Comes down to what you want to do with the car. Me, I like driving mine. So, I'm maintaining it properly, keeping it as safe as I can, as reliable as possible, and as clean as possible. It won't go out in winter EVER. I'll try real hard not to take it out in the rain, but I'm sure it'll happen.

Do you want to drive yours? I don't presume to know your situation, but for me, a 6-figure restoration is cool...but I'd be afraid to drive it.

They're only original once. Mine's not totally original (the unknown-why-respray; various maintenance items over the years; safety and reliability updates throughout)...but it's pretty damned close, and I respect that and enjoy that. If yours isn't hateful...make it solid, make it safe, make it reliable...and drive it.

They really do make people smile, when they see them on the road. Every time I take mine out, people wave, smile, thumbs-up...and nobody picks on it because it isn't nut-and-bolt-restored.

I have a 68 Charger R/T. Numbers match, fender tag and build sheet. A true 3x black 440 4 Speed. I live about 20 min from Mosher's and went in for a chit chat. I asked if they knew anyone good and honest to restore my Charger. Funny right away he said no. Not that he did not want to answer more that honest and do a good job.
Well now who to send it to? GYC never, Restorations by Julius no, as I spoke to him at Spring fling and at his shop and he was very arrogant. Not believing what I had and he would answer you want this you want that. Well yes it is my car. Just want it restored to like it was new. I was thinking of Hodges but after looking at pictures I cannot believe they take proper care. I want it to look as I went to the dealer and bought it not over restored. Many places I have talked to say no as they do not want the body lines and runs be a negative reflection of the body shop. So I am in SoCal and do not know where to send it. I even though sending it to Canada to Nick.
Anyone know a good shop that is honest and would trust to do the job?

View attachment 1126033 View attachment 1126042
Motech performance Murrita ca worked on my 66 i was happy with his work, has a complete set up re shop. off frame restore paint booths , everything ,owns the whole business center, each unit has a different purpose

Guys who have never restored a car before often think their car is in "paintable" condition and that it shouldn't take that much time or money to restore it.

The reality is that once you start stripping the car down you often find serious issues previously hidden from sight. What looks like small bubbles or a slight crack in the old paint can be an indicator of a very serious rust issue.

I have taken pictures and then talked with the owner about the necessary replacement of the rusted metal only to have them ask, "can't you just make it look nice?" The answer is, No!

What the customer fails to understand is that my name and reputation are attached to every project that leaves my shop. If that "make it look nice" shortcut ends up peeling, cracking or bubbling and someone notices it, the owner won't take the blame, he will tell them I did the work.

My point is, if you take it to somebody to get the work done, be prepared to let them do a quality restoration. I have had guys come and tell me how they can only afford so much and just want their car done in such and such a manner. My response is always the same, I can't help you.

I am going to recommend MoTech Performance too. Check them out at MotechPerformance.com or socalmotech on Facebook. Murrieta is a lot closer to Downey than Canada!

I highly recommend T/A Restorations in Eldorado IL. I know Troy and have been there. Its impressive. I know his folks have taken many Mopar Nats awards and just seeing the operation is unreal. Not sure but he will most likely be a year out. If you are close you should go see for yourself.

I read a lot of great stuff here but dont post much. This is one time i'll throw in my 2 cents. If your really willing to spend the money on full restoration, I would suggest The Finer Details in INDY. I am currently having a car restored by another outfit, and although they are doing a great job, im on my 3rd year now and still waiting. It came down to the outfit I chose and the Finer Details. Had I went with the Finer Details, I know I would have had my car back by now. Secondly, their shop rates are currently better than the outfit Im using plus they have had some great cars every year at mcacn Show. I believe they are the only ones who have had (2) 100 point cars in that class. I believe, they also do a lot of IN-HOUSE work meaning, mechanical, paint, interior etc. My previous 5 cars were bought all complete but figured I would have one built for once. I agree with everyone else though, be prepared to spend some serious money because to be totally honest, I would NEVER have another car done again. Good luck in your endeavor.

I read a lot of great stuff here but dont post much. This is one time i'll throw in my 2 cents. If your really willing to spend the money on full restoration, I would suggest The Finer Details in INDY. I am currently having a car restored by another outfit, and although they are doing a great job, im on my 3rd year now and still waiting. It came down to the outfit I chose and the Finer Details. Had I went with the Finer Details, I know I would have had my car back by now. Secondly, their shop rates are currently better than the outfit Im using plus they have had some great cars every year at mcacn Show. I believe they are the only ones who have had (2) 100 point cars in that class. I believe, they also do a lot of IN-HOUSE work meaning, mechanical, paint, interior etc. My previous 5 cars were bought all complete but figured I would have one built for once. I agree with everyone else though, be prepared to spend some serious money because to be totally honest, I would NEVER have another car done again. Good luck in your endeavor.

Pretty much sums up my feelings, I will never do another car thru shops.

Some people have boatloads of money – thus – no issue getting their ride restored. For me, I could have spent more on mine; but spend money on others things as well. I did about as much work on it I was comfortable or able to do. Lol, one of my best investments was knee-pads. Unless it is some rare/popular car, odds are good you’ll never sell it for anything near what you put into it…or get it insured for investment costs if they’re incredibly high. Some, like me, don’t care about this as they’re building a car as they want it to be for them. I estimate my ‘loss’ if I’d sell it to be around $25k or more. This doesn’t include the hundreds of hours of my labor (time) working on it.

For those who don’t want to do the restoration themselves, paying others to do it, will be huge money as posted. If they want to find a cherry car that’s been done, based on what I’ve seen, odds are good they’ll find some fantastic bargains. Some, like I did, took photos of the phases of the restoration. I must have over 200 photos. So a buyer would get to see exactly what they’re buying. No guess work on what's under the paint or hood. THIS is the way I’d do it now since my days of sweat, pulled muscles, and shaved knuckles are behind me at my age.

I have a 68 Charger R/T. Numbers match, fender tag and build sheet. A true 3x black 440 4 Speed. I live about 20 min from Mosher's and went in for a chit chat. I asked if they knew anyone good and honest to restore my Charger. Funny right away he said no. Not that he did not want to answer more that honest and do a good job.
Well now who to send it to? GYC never, Restorations by Julius no, as I spoke to him at Spring fling and at his shop and he was very arrogant. Not believing what I had and he would answer you want this you want that. Well yes it is my car. Just want it restored to like it was new. I was thinking of Hodges but after looking at pictures I cannot believe they take proper care. I want it to look as I went to the dealer and bought it not over restored. Many places I have talked to say no as they do not want the body lines and runs be a negative reflection of the body shop. So I am in SoCal and do not know where to send it. I even though sending it to Canada to Nick.
Anyone know a good shop that is honest and would trust to do the job?

View attachment 1126033 View attachment 1126042
AFTERHOURS RESTORATIONS. DETROIT AREA.

If you live near Long Beach, I would recommend Herb's Automotive. He specializes in 60's and 70's classic cars and has an impressive shop and can do almost any work. Like a lot of shops he is very booked up. I had them to do some work on my 69 Charger. They completed some rear suspension work and did a nice job. But I do not have the patience to leave my car at a shop for a long time. The owner explained how backed up they are so I was impressed that they got to my car at all. They are worth looking into.

If you live near Long Beach, I would recommend Herb's Automotive. He specializes in 60's and 70's classic cars and has an impressive shop and can do almost any work. Like a lot of shops he is very booked up. I had them to do some work on my 69 Charger. They completed some rear suspension work and did a nice job. But I do not have the patience to leave my car at a shop for a long time. The owner explained how backed up they are so I was impressed that they got to my car at all. They are worth looking into.
Sarjag can i ask what he charged per hour , i am experiencing the same issue, i cant get anyone to work on my cars .I am waiting to confirm a guy today in Anaheim. My local mechanics can do the work but would rather use their racks for late model cars, I am in chino hills ca, Motech in Murrita wants 200 or 250 on labor hrly is that the norm?

Sarjag can i ask what he charged per hour , i am experiencing the same issue, i cant get anyone to work on my cars .I am waiting to confirm a guy today in Anaheim. My local mechanics can do the work but would rather use their racks for late model cars, I am in chino hills ca, Motech in Murrita wants 200 or 250 on labor hrly is that the norm?

For my work he charged $125/hour which is very reasonable, but I can't say that all work will have the same rate.

Me... i make mine NOT perfect..... so I will actually drive it and not worry. Must be why I will never want or own another 70 Hemi Cuda, 69 Hemi GTX, or even another 69 383 RoadRunner!!!!!!
I even now have 2 more doors and a 62 Road Toad!
Even the 64 Savoy project will find a new home soon!!!:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back