• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My wife has had it with the smell!

Yeah, tuning a six pack is something a lot of guys in a shop don't understand. The outboards do have adjustments in the throttle base and I have yet to install a set of these carbs that did not need adjusted. That's why I buy a throttle base from promax so I can adjust the rear carb without taking it off the car.

Yeah, tuning a six pack is something a lot of guys in a shop don't understand. The outboards do have adjustments in the throttle base and I have yet to install a set of these carbs that did not need adjusted. That's why I buy a throttle base from promax so I can adjust the rear carb without taking it off the car.

As I stated, I have only owned the car for a couple of months. This is the first multi-carb car I have ever owned and the first carb car I have had in 30 years (ughhhh when did I get old!). When I first got the car, I sent it to a shop that does a lot of work on classic cars and asked them to go through some of the basic tuning including carbs and timing. When the car came out of the shop, it ran much better than when I dropped it off. Cold starts were much easier and it idled much better as well. I have yet to start my research on adjusting and tuning the 6bbl set up, but that is coming.

When you get there, check out this link. One note, I disagree with the writers position on using only the black springs, the only correct way to do it is use a lighter spring and progressively go heavier until you eliminate a bog at WOT. I have the purple springs in mine. Also, the use of only certain ignition components is simply personal opinion. Otherwise, this is really good stuff.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/tuning-a-six-pack.131693/

When you get there, check out this link. One note, I disagree with the writers position on using only the black springs, the only correct way to do it is use a lighter spring and progressively go heavier until you eliminate a bog at WOT. I have the purple springs in mine. Also, the use of only certain ignition components is simply personal opinion. Otherwise, this is really good stuff.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/tuning-a-six-pack.131693/
Great article. Many people do not understand the important relationship between carb adjustment/tuning and timing and the need for a good quality vacuum gauge. Thanks for sharing.

When I pull in the garage I try not to rev.it up
raw gas in the intake can last a long time
Also make sure you don't have gas leaking
From carb into intake after shut down.
Take a look down the throttle plates into the
intake & see if it's wet.
Another thing that helps me,I mix 1 gal. of 110
Octane per six gals 93,it sure smells sweet

All good ideas, but I kinda love the old hydrocarbon smell; haven’t smelled it lately unless at the drag strip. Started up the ‘new’ car the other day in garage before heading out & the carbon monoxide detector went off when I went into garage to leave. Some noses are more sensitive than others!

Maybe it's not the car could it be that new smell goody stuff you are wearing i hear its called high octane. Maybe if you switched to something a little better like 110 octane she might be ok

ksurfer2,
Take this for what it's worth, I have two 440 Six Pack cars parked in my (attached) garage and I get no gasoline smell from either of them after I drive, then park them in the garage. Just wanted to say that based on my experiences with my cars with Six Pack induction strong gasoline smell is not normal.
Hope you're able to find and resolve the issue with yours.

I knew my hemi was a little rich because when I came back from a drive the CO detector in the garage would go off till I took it down and pulled the battery. That got old so I don't leave it in the garage any more.

ksurfer2,
Take this for what it's worth, I have two 440 Six Pack cars parked in my (attached) garage and I get no gasoline smell from either of them after I drive, then park them in the garage. Just wanted to say that based on my experiences with my cars with Six Pack induction strong gasoline smell is not normal.
Hope you're able to find and resolve the issue with yours.

Gotta agree, somethings wrong with the OP's car. My wife has the nose of a hound dog and she never once complained when I parked in "her" garage!.. WELL she DID give me **** for the black marks!
superbirdoct12015housegarage 001.JPG

I'm kinda baffled that so many seam to think this is somewhat normal and that it just needs vented before parking:realcrazy:. Since completing mine I just pull it in and shut it off, never any gas smell. Something is wrong, I'd be checking all rubber lines followed by the steel lines, carbs then the tank including the sending unit seal.

Maybe it's not the car could it be that new smell goody stuff you are wearing i hear its called high octane. Maybe if you switched to something a little better like 110 octane she might be ok
Have a bottle of ‘Old Spice’ aftershave in the garage. GOOD old time smell, plus she’ll grab ya when you come in!

thats carbs for ya , fi tec is making a fuel injected 6 pack . thats 6 pack fuel injection to replace your carbs with there units , of course its a system that would have to be installed . pump from the tank return to the trunk fuel lines . but its a better system then carbs for driving . its rated at 600 hp .

Saw the title, and was ready to recommend deodorant, after a daily shower with soap. Then I read through...

My 71 cuda with the 472 and two 4 barrels was the culprit that set off the CO detector. Since I added the Fitech two throttle bodies I haven't put the CO detector back in the garage. It must be cleaner now because I don't notice an objectionable odor anymore. CO detector will go back in garage after this winter ends.

C'mon guys.... go EFI instead of fixing the problem???? Carbs by nature don't fumigate garages, bad parts or poorly set up carbs might but in general no. Everytime I walk into my garage I smell the fresh drywall, lumber or whatever I worked on last not gasoline and it sat in there all winter long.

C'mon guys.... go EFI instead of fixing the problem???? Carbs by nature don't fumigate garages, bad parts or poorly set up carbs might but in general no. Everytime I walk into my garage I smell the fresh drywall, lumber or whatever I worked on last not gasoline and it sat in there all winter long.

I agree. Even though my car is a clone and not a true A-12, I like the originality of the car.....carbs, exhaust manifolds, no electronic ignition and want to keep it that way in as many ways as possible.

Is it a fuel smell or isn't it? Either it smells like raw gas or it smells like something else (burnt oil, exhaust, etc). I did read something recently about the reproduction filler neck grommets not sealing properly - might be time to drop the tank. Maybe try a vented cap? Check sending unit gasket, etc.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back