• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My wife's (my) 65 Belvedere wagon headers

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Well since we bought the 67 Fury wagon. That is pretty much going to be for the wife. I sold my 65 Coronet 4 door /6. I was also going to sell our 65 Belvedere wagon however.......... I've decided to keep it (haven't told the wife yet). I plan on going a little old school with it. Raise the front a bit. Put some bigger tires out back. I found some old school traction bars I had laying around. I'm thinking of just keeping the front bench seat in it like a sedan delivery so I can use it to haul stuff to collectible shows that I do.

My question is, I plan on pulling the 273 and just freshen it up a bit. I want it stock with a 2 barrel just for cruising. What's a good coated set of headers? I figure to give it a little attitude with duals.
2096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Xqv3vl8UnvAAX9I09Bv&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

I would look at a set of magnum manifolds for that. If they'll fit, use some Eastwood ceramic manifold coating on them. Or send the to Jet Hot or the like to get coated.
I know it's not the direction you mentioned and may be out of budget, but I would seriously consider getting the rest of a good junkyard 5.2 magnum and upgrading. Swap on the car oil pan and put a high volume oil pump on it. Add on an HEI one wire fire distributor, a crosswind intake, and an Edelbrock 1906 AVS2 650. It would add a lot more performance than you would expect and would probably get better mileage than the 273. Or you can just sell that one to me and let me do all that and save you the trouble... :lol::poke:
I would love to see more pics because you don't see a '65 Belvedere wagon everyday... Just a really cool car!

Last edited:
Not going to spend that much on it. I have other projects. Plus I just want the old school look from the 60s. Just want a good set of headers and duals. That's it. I'm keeping it simple so it doesn't turn into another 2 year project.

The trouble you will find is that the 62-65 b-bodies use a different k-member with the engine in a different location than later B's. If you look in a summit or jegs catalog, everything is for 67-up (I don't know why it's not 66 up).
I think you might be stuck with Doug's, or TTI's. Neither is inexpensive.
You might try a want add here for used..... or you could gamble with some shorties. They wouldn't be "vintage".
Edit: I'm not sure WHY the newer headers don't fit. All the header manufacturers say they don't. I wonder if it's just a matter of moving a tube or two.......? You might want to start a thread to see if anybody has used 67 up headers on a 62-65.

Sanderson may have some that would work, but also not inexpensive either. If a pair of rear dump magnum manifolds would fit, a set of stainless rear dump shorty magnum truck headers off eBay also might for about the same cost as a set of used magnum manifolds. But those may be a stretch on fitment, and would probably require the late model Hitachi type starter. If you lucked out and they fit there is a caveat, though. My experience with them is that they have to be taken off after a year and the flanges reground true after they take a heat set. After they take a set they won’t warp anymore, but you’ll burn up at least one set of gaskets getting there. The reason I mention them is they look similar to the big block ‘62 to ‘65 b exhaust manifolds, and they were under $200 when I last checked on a pair.

As I recall engine is further Forward on the 62 to 65 K member.
When I used to run my 64 Max Wedge i used 66 K member and I had to
work the firewall for the crossram for clearance.

Last edited:
I have Hedman headers on my 64. They fit fine, but do not buy their coated headers. It doesn't last, and they want you to pay shipping both ways.

I have Hedman headers on my 64. They fit fine, but do not buy their coated headers. It doesn't last, and they want you to pay shipping both ways.
Big block or small block? Are they specific 62-65 or generic that Hedman says fits 67 up?

I have the Hedman 78030, that they list for 67 up, but they fit my car.
I just tried to go to their site, but got error codes. But they are still listed on Jegs site.

Last edited:
I have the Hedman 78030, that they list for 67 up, but they fit my car.
I just tried to go to their site, but got error codes. But they are still listed on Jegs site.
Thats interesting. Like I said above, I would like to know WHY they supposedly don't fit the early cars.

Looking around I found Sanderson is more hot rod based. TTI has a set. Still going to try and see what Doug Thorley has to offer.

Timmayy, Budget minded,Summit SUM-G9140 Metallic-Ceramic Coated small block Mopar.
$364.99 I am running their painted headers on my 63 Belvedere with a 1970 318 and they fit just fine.
Always best to install new engine mounts and tranny mount at the same time to alleviate fitment issues.

To update this thread. I'm installing a 360 and going with TTI shorty headers. Thanks for all the input.

TTI Shorties ! They fit great took a total of 10 minutes to install.
Don't forget the head pipes if not going for a complete system.It will make your life easier.

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

Well since we bought the 67 Fury wagon. That is pretty much going to be for the wife. I sold my 65 Coronet 4 door /6. I was also going to sell our 65 Belvedere wagon however.......... I've decided to keep it (haven't told the wife yet). I plan on going a little old school with it. Raise the front a bit. Put some bigger tires out back. I found some old school traction bars I had laying around. I'm thinking of just keeping the front bench seat in it like a sedan delivery so I can use it to haul stuff to collectible shows that I do.

My question is, I plan on pulling the 273 and just freshen it up a bit. I want it stock with a 2 barrel just for cruising. What's a good coated set of headers? I figure to give it a little attitude with duals.
View attachment 1253987
I would use the original manifolds and just have some duals bent up (or a system if someone makes one) Headers won't do much for you in that application. A nice dual system, a 4 barrel, and a distributor recurve will do you the most good. Depending where you drive, a rear gear change might help as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back