• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My year is done

WTH. How much timing? Aluminum mains don’t typically fail, So I’d wonder if something failed that allowed the timing to advance.. There has to be a reason for it to split the mains...
34 degrees timing.
All timing components look fine

I never did like the idea of aluminum maincaps for a big block mopar. I never seem to see them on anything else.
Now i like the idea even less.

I never did like the idea of aluminum maincaps for a big block mopar. I never seem to see them on anything else.
A buddy of mine had them on his heavy Challenger which ran 9.30 with a small shot but he didn't get all that many passes on it before he bought the wall....

Ouch! Found anything yet that might could be the cause?
Didn't find a cause yet. I'll be sending out the converter and going through
YUK!!!!!!

Sorry to see this Bob. Looks like things coulda been way worse, but I’m sure that’s little consolation. Good news is you have all winter to get ‘er fixed up.
Things Cuda been a lot worse.

Ouch! Found anything yet that might could be the cause?
Nope.
Something went out of balance? Converter maybe?
Heat differential between aluminum and iron?
Don't really know

I'd be talking to your engine builder too

if nothing else :poke:, so he can see it

so sorry especially to see & hear that

freaken' sucks

:popcorn:
Already spoke with him.
He's perplexed as well.
I have the motor broken down and doesn't appear to be any block damage.
I'm dropping ot off tomorrow and he'll magniflux it.

My heart sank when I saw the thread title Bob. So sorry for you that the season is over. Hopefully you'll find the reason and the repairs won't break the bank.
There's always next season.
Thanks Kiwi

Are any of the main bulkheads cracked? I've had them crack pulling the front 2 bulkheads completely out of the block. The aluminum caps and bearings still looked new. Whose caps are those? I wonder if when it cracked the caps the mains were loose enough to starve the rods? Other rod bearings will tell the tail.
Doug
No visual cracks in the bulkhead. Having the block magged.
The caps were BCR billet aluminum caps. Supposed to be good.
All the other rod bearings were ok.

I learned the hard way.

Looks like something as a result of cylinder hydraulic on a Top Fuel.

Luckily she didn't let go half pass. Have a beer on me! :drinks:

Plenty of aluminum cap motors that have run for years. Unless there was a bad run of these caps I doubt that caused the failure. Like I said never seen them split like that. Did it bend the studs? I'd like to see the cap mating faces to the block and the bearings.
Doug

Plenty of aluminum cap motors that have run for years. Unless there was a bad run of these caps I doubt that caused the failure. Like I said never seen them split like that. Did it bend the studs? I'd like to see the cap mating faces to the block and the bearings.
Doug
Studs are straight. There was metal transfer at mating surfaces. I'll try and get pics tomorrow.
I think I'll put in a call to BCR and see what they say.

This bites Bob, sorry to hear your quest ended this way. it's a shame. Good luck in finding out what caused it..

How many passes on it since it was last apart?
Man I feel bad for you. That just sucks.

Studs are straight. There was metal transfer at mating surfaces. I'll try and get pics tomorrow.
I think I'll put in a call to BCR and see what they say.

The comment about metal transfer is significant.. and typically points to detonation....

I would definitely call BCR to get their thoughts on the failure

Sorry you are going through this, painful and expensive... Not that there’s any good time for something like this but when you’re in the points it really sucks

How many passes on it since it was last apart?
Man I feel bad for you. That just sucks.
200 passes on the motor. I would have thought a problem would have showed earlier with this kind of carnage.

The comment about metal transfer is significant.. and typically points to detonation....

I would definitely call BCR to get their thoughts on the failure

Sorry you are going through this, painful and expensive... Not that there’s any good time for something like this but when you’re in the points it really sucks
I'm wondering if metal transfer was due to aluminum vs steel heating rate. I find it hard to believe that a 13.5 comp. Engine set at 34 degrees running c12 gas was detonating.

Auto Transport Service
Back