• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery crank?

Could be an old chevy six cylinder with that gear on the front. How many rod journals?

(Must be a small camera)

It is a hemi.at the beginning of the discussion are the pics of the back of the shaft. The area in question

It is a hemi.at the beginning of the discussion are the pics of the back of the shaft. The area in question
So it was a trick question! Like a 354 hemi , maybe a waterpump hemi.. def not a 2.6 hemi :rolleyes:

This crank was in the boxes of parts I acquired. All I know is the hemi has 8 bolts at the flywheel. Rods and mains are std hemi. What set up is this on the back of the crank? No ridge for flywheel or flex plate.
Is there a application for this set up?
Thanks

View attachment 1403749

View attachment 1403751
It appears to be a crank for the 413 1960-1961 .In that application the studs are in the converter hub and the holes in the end of the crank are offset so the balance is correct. On the early set up even the 331-354-392 all had converters that bolted to the crank and the cast iron torquelfite was held in by 4 large bolts and there is a torque sleeve that indexes to the front pump of the trans and then into the converter as you slide the trans back in. If you measure the length of the crank it will be longer than a 383-413-440 late model- because the flange is closer to the converter. If you give me the casting number I can tell you the year and engine.

The holes in the crank are threaded like a later model crank.

If you give me the casting number I can tell you the year and engine.
You mean the forging number?? :poke:

I kinda figured we'd get to that if there are pix of the whole dang thing, maybe. Honestly, since it looks like he has a forged unit, not a billet unit, and it's had a gear drive, not chain (so maybe raced), I'm leaning towards Kellogg crank, but who knows for sure.

Industrial 413 crankshaft.
It has a flywheel with a recessed register machined into back.
It uses the outside diameter as the centering device not the usual one.

It also has a reverse direction camshaft that has a huge gearwheel on the camshaft.

How do I know lol?

Building one into my 413 D200 dodge truck with a NP 5 speed gearbox.

413 cam drive.jpg

It also has a reverse direction camshaft that has a huge gearwheel on the camshaft.

How do I know lol?

View attachment 1405805
How do I give a thanks and an agree?

How do I know lol?

View attachment 1405805
It should be obvious that the cam would be reverse rotation with a direct gear drive where as a chain drive makes it turn the same as the crank rotation. How were marine engines set up?? I know if a boat had dual inboards one has to (or should) turn opposite the sister engine unless there's a gearbox in the mix.....

How do I know lol?

View attachment 1405805
Thank you. We've had several threads about non passenger RBs, and this puts fact before fiction about the different cranks. Ie motor home motors etc. Some industrial cranks are usable, some aren't. (In a muscle car)

It should be obvious that the cam would be reverse rotation with a direct gear drive where as a chain drive makes it turn the same as the crank rotation. How were marine engines set up?? I know if a boat had dual inboards one has to (or should) turn opposite the sister engine unless there's a gearbox in the mix.....
Yes marine motors have a reverse engine. But some of the passenger 6 cyls had gear drive.

Not sure if all heavy duty flywheels of the mid sixties were this design?
I am using the 413 Industrial steel crank in my D200 truck with a 440 block, as the 413 engine was actually a 1962 H/D casting 1852029.
This is the same casting as the 413 Max wedge block and I was gobsmacked when I found this out!
Some days you just get lucky...
HNY from John

100% agree with polyjohn. I have a fresh industrial 413 on a pallet in my garage and it is just like that. It has the big hd heads on it too. Likely someone used the block, rods, and pistons(if not oddball) for an automotive build and the crank ended up in the parts hoard. I will likely do this with mine
Travis..

It should be obvious that the cam would be reverse rotation with a direct gear drive where as a chain drive makes it turn the same as the crank rotation. How were marine engines set up?? I know if a boat had dual inboards one has to (or should) turn opposite the sister engine unless there's a gearbox in the

Marine engine builders had two options, early days they used an opposite rotation engine in many single, as well as the port (left for you land lubbers) engine in duals, as stated they used a gear drive and different cam. Now the drives are able to change prop rotation so no need for a goofy f-ing engine. The gear doesn't necessarily mean it's opposite rot. if there's also an idler gear...right?

This dist and the piece next to it came from a 413 marine. The piece on left
md1.jpg
went in dist hole first dist and clamp. It was used to hold dist/oil pump drive in place because of reverse rotation.

Auto Transport Service
Back