• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery exhaust hairball?

Fiberglass won't. If the case is not distorted, no way that 1/2" thick section of glass matting can come out the small perforations of the three tubes.

Fiberglass won't. If the case is not distorted, no way that 1/2" thick section of glass matting can come out the small perforations of the three tubes.
Muffler cases look brand new, no distortion at all. So it appears that someone deliberately stuffed my tailpipes with some sort of fiber towels (and I think I know who). So my question is is there any way to force any possible remaining material in the tailpipes out with air or something without having to remove the entire exhaust system? I need to make sure all of it has been removed but don't really want to tear the exhaust completely apart just to blow out the tailpipes.

Thanks

If it was shoved in, it should pop out on its own. They can't have shoved things over the tail pipe and into the muffler. I guess you could tap on the pipe with a hammer and listen as you do and see if one area has a dull thud rather than a ring.

Maybe try using a long septic system snake to snag any remaining material. Anything loose should eventually blow out.

I might be able to pop the tilapipe out if I remove the rear hanger from the frame. Need to know if it is clear. Those shop rags or whatever have accumulated carbon and water and when exhaust heats up it smokes like crazy so can't really drive it

Oh, how I loathe pranksters and vandals. Did you check your gas filler tube too?

I would probably drain my gas tank too...the vandal might have poured something in your gas tank? Can you get a locking gas cap for your car?

Do you or one of your friends have an inspection camera? Mine has at least 10’ of cable so it can be snaked way up into places to look for stuff. I would think a couple blips of the throttle would blow anything out not compacted in there.

Delayed Update ... it turns out that all of my top end work trying to get the engine to stop smoking was for nothing. Could not gett the fibers and carbon mix out of the tailpipes so I bought new ones. Smoking issue is fixed!
BUT now that I can actually drive the car other issues have come up which I will make separate posts about. I want to thank everyone here for the advice and willingness to put up with rookie questions

Last edited:
You have got to provide the details on who, what, and why they stuffed the tailpipes...

:realcrazy::nutkick:

Honestly I don't think anyone did it other than fibers coming out of the mufflers. Had to replace those also. A mix of fibers, oil, water, and carbon was pretty evenly coating the inside of the tailpipes. Felt oily. If I put a torch to the tailpies especially near the muffler ends white smoke would billow out of the tailpipes.

Auto Transport Service
Back