• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name something that you never should have bought.

Bought a 14' rolling ladder to wash windows on top of my sun room. $1300 used it 6 times over 6 years and sold it for $600 after ebay fees.
I could use one of those for wrapping boats but again it would only be used for a short period everyfall!

Exercise equipment for my wife.
I’ve had better luck in this department. 1986, my wife bought a used hospital cardio treadmill, and wore it out two decades later. Her feet gave out at the same time, so she switched to an elliptical machine that is still working.

Last edited:
In the 90's bought a membership to a Wholesale Club for buying things at discount. Was in my 20's, lived in an apartment in downtown Chicago..... What was I going to buy? But the woman that sold it to me sure was pretty.....damn, it worked on me. :)

:lol: Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden

'F--k', I've bought quite a few clubs/drivers 'I wish I didn't'
over the many years :realcrazy: thousands of dollars worth over the years,
$300 at a pop or 'or more' for the components, especially special shafts/grips
just to get a few more yards, experimenting, some good some not so good
Mark Twain’s remark about golfing saved me a lot of money and time. My father said maybe we can‘t make hay, but it’s not to wet to pick rocks. This would be after I said my friend called and wanted to go golfing because they couldn’t make hay.

Cigarettes, biggest mistake of my life. I've quit twice 5 years at a time. Still struggling to stay off them

Cigarettes, biggest mistake of my life. I've quit twice 5 years at a time. Still struggling to stay off them
I went to see a cardiologist, he said I might need a stent ........ worked for me! Quit the first time for 8 years. Why the heck I ever went back is beyond me, off them again for over three years now after that scare.
Whenever I get the urge for one I remind myself how much of a slave I was to the habit and refuse to let it take hold of me again.

My Yamaha dealer retired and closed the shop, so trying to buy local I purchased a 2003 Polaris XC700 what a pig that was. How embarrassing the 600 Yamaha I handed down to my son would run circles around it. Best part about it was resale, some how Polaris had people brain washed.

A piece of property in the woods.

In 1985 four of us chipped in 15k each and bough a 160 acre piece of property in the woods. Nice property to potentially live on or for an investment. Long story but it never really appreciated much in value. Sold it last year and didn’t even double my money. It was a pain in the ***, never buy anything with friends or family.
Now my dad has rental homes. If we had bought a house with that money we’d have a million dollar home now lol

A piece of property in the woods.

In 1985 four of us chipped in 15k each and bough a 160 acre piece of property in the woods. Nice property to potentially live on or for an investment. Long story but it never really appreciated much in value. Sold it last year and didn’t even double my money. It was a pain in the ***, never buy anything with friends or family.
Now my dad has rental homes. If we had bought a house with that money we’d have a million dollar home now lol
A dear friend of my Father once said "you can never go wrong investing in land Son, they're not making any more of it "
He made Millions buying all he could afford in Alaska in the 50's and 60's.
However, my Father had the same experience "investing " in a lakefront cabin in upstate NY near the 1000 Islands. He bought it with 2 friends, and basically whenever he wanted to use it one of the others always had family there. Ended up selling out to the other 2, and it eventually fell apart for them also.

A dear friend of my Father once said "you can never go wrong investing in land Son, they're not making any more of it "
However, my Father had the same experience "investing " in a lakefront cabin in upstate NY near the 1000 Islands. He bought it with 2 friends, and basically whenever he wanted to use it one of the others always had family there. Ended up selling out to the other 2, and it eventually fell apart for them also.
Location, location. I struck out with my first property, hit it out of the park with the last one. The first was a bitter lesson, but I learned from it.

My Grandfather said, probably said before his time, ( A partnership is a poor ship to sail in). I have seen quite a few problems when cabins and other things are left to the family members jointly.

A recent costly disaster...

I decided to get a water well drilled. Did a month or two of research getting 3 quotes, all of them were $70/ft (ended up digging to 120' to find low volume water). Talked to a neighbor about 1/4 mile away that had a well drilled recently and they got lots of water at 40ft. Cost of pump, piping, digging, electrical, sensors and labour was around $5000. Had the water tested after drilling and found water treatment was around $4200. Total cost was ~ $17k.

After final hook up, pumped 3000 gallons into my cistern to find out it turned into a salt well. WTF! The initial water sample wasn't salty as initial TDS reading was around 260. After the cistern fill it was 3800. No explanations. Any well driller won't guarantee water or water quality. The driller offered to take back the pump, all the sensors and to dig another hole for free next season as he's booked for the rest of the year. The water treatment company took back and refunded half the equipment. I wanted to keep the other half.

Total kick in the nuts...$12,000.
That does suck! In 93, I built a big house for a couple on 5 acres they had owned for a few years. They knew there was sulfur water in the area. The house on the corner had a well at 40’ deep, it was hard but no sulfur. I had priced a system just in case, at about $5,000.00. My driller hit water at 135’, which was the average depth for the area. Of course it was sulfur, unfortunately for them, it was double the normal content in the area, which was 27 parts per, theirs was 55. The treatment guy said he knew of no system that could treat that and if anyone said they could, they were lying. They had to have a well drilled to 800’, to the superior stream, at a cost of $28,000.00. They still live there so I guess it was a good investment.

Any food with MSG.
30 years of problems til I figured it out.
FDA approved.

Not too many for me, mostly because I grew up poor as heck and I do a lot of research and buy quality.
Still, everyone has a thing or two....
I bought a starter for my 91 Bronco from the shady local Ford dealer when it went out the week I was supposed to move to my new home. 6 months later it failed. Got one from the parts store near my new home...huh, lookie here, this doesn't look the same.... well the one from the shady dealer was basically a chinese egg beater motor they put in a Ford box. I called and cussed a bit but they got their karma when the dealer shut down a little while later when their reputation caught up to them.

I bought a floor jack from Walmart(hey I was young gimme a break, this was in the 1990's) and the linkage for the pump handle failed after three uses. I welded it and used it more. Thinking back, I should have known better- if the linkage was so cheap, what about the rest of the thing lifting my truck off the ground?

But the worst was a trailer. A BIG utility trailer. It was a home built job, but the guy had bought legit trailer axles(1500lb each, in tandem!) with the "wide" "fat" style tires. I used the thing quite a bit, it had 3/4" marine plywood floor with metal brackets he made for the edges so it was super flat and nice. Trailer was a "4 snowmobile" size, worked great for landscaping things and moving brush, lawnmower....
Then about two years in, one of the floor panels came up a bit. Figured a bolt broke. NOPE, removed floor. Found out the guy had used pallet racking cross members for the structure under the floor. That type of thing is NOT for outside, not really thick wall, and hollow. Well, the tops had rotted where they contacted the floor and there was no way to reattach the floor now. I could have cut and redone the whole thing, but I cut the axles off and kept the plywood and gave the axles to my wife's Uncle for a a few favors he had done for us. Not the end of the world, I got some use from it, but it cost a lot more then the use I got! Last home built trailer I ever used much less bought.

Auto Transport Service
Back