• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name that cam!

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
First off, let me state for the record that I'm so damn happy that I don't even know how to act.:D
The culmination of over 6 years, more money than I care to mention, three bouts of cancer and God knows what all else appears to finally be at hand.
I have replaced and/or repaired every mechanical, electrical, fuel and cooling system on the car, front to rear; previous owner did body and paint, which included extensive metal replacement.
This car was literally sitting in a field for years and years. A true basket case when it started.

Here's a quick video of my GTX after a couple hours running around the area, both city and highway, ending with that loooong climb back up my steep road to the garage:

She's happy - and running COOL (like less than 180F cool!) and didn't miss a lick the whole time. Smooth as silk at 65mph on the highway, too.
She even sounds nasty-ish, eh? :thumbsup:

That is a Mopar flat tappet purpleshaft of unknown specification in a reportedly rebuilt later model 440. Can anyone take a guess as to which cam that is just from the sound?

This will no doubt be my last project car; I won't be around to start another one and get it done. I have a thread titled something like "Here we go, one last time" and that was the truth, so seeing this get very close to closure is a mixed emotion kind of thing, obviously - but I got to drive it today, and for that I am eternally grateful.
God let me see this day.:thumbsup:

Glad to see you enjoying it! Sounds great too!!!
I know you've shared a lot with us about your life and I truly hope you are around for many years and get to go through many tires!
Congrats a beatuful ride!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad to see you enjoying it! Sounds great too!!!
I know you've shared a lot with us about your life and I truly hope you are around for many years and get to go through many tires!
Congrats a beatuful ride!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
From your fingers to Gods' ears, my friend. Thank you for the kind words.
I'll admit, I got a little emotional when I got her back in the garage and made this video this evening.

Can't remember but sure sounds like one step up from factory cam. Sounds,looks fabulous!!!!!! Great, thanks to better-half also! Jeff

Sounds a lot like my 440's that have the Mopar Performance Hemi grind cam.

Very nice car looks great and sounds great. Does sound like the 284/284 cam.

Ed, good to hear from you, it's been a while. Glad to see your car running so well. I was also close to death in January after open heart surgery. While in recovery the craft came apart and I was rushed back in to be opened up again for the repair. Guess it wasn't my time yet!

Stick around Dave! Still plenty of rubber to burn!!!

Sounds just a little milder than the 284/284 video, IMHO.

Auto Transport Service
Back