• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name that hubcap

It is easy enough to do.... just right click on your image (once posted anywhere) and select "Search Web for image".

Then just follow the link to wherever the picture is matched up....use some caution of course. :lol:

View attachment 1349352

View attachment 1349351

And when you find a link.....you'll normally find the answer. The one I followed took me straight to an eBay auction listing.
Mine doesnt do that - I get no option to search the web for image upon right clicking; what am I doing wrong?

Mine doesnt do that - I get no option to search the web for image upon right clicking; what am I doing wrong?
1670187737039.png

I use Microsoft Edge, maybe your web bowser has a different level of support for this function.

Those are English words
Boot is a trunk.
Bonnet—-hood
Spanner is a wrench
Earth means grounding the battery.
Ah yes, the "English" version of car words. Back in 1980, I drove a red 68 Sport Satellite convertible. A buddy was working on some old english sports car. I think it was a Bugeyed Sprite. Anyway, his manual described the convertible style vehicle as a "Drop Head Coupe". Guess what all my friends started calling my Plymouth........
The name stuck until I sold it a year or so later.
:moparsmiley:

Ah yes, the "English" version of car words. Back in 1980, I drove a red 68 Sport Satellite convertible. A buddy was working on some old english sports car. I think it was a Bugeyed Sprite. Anyway, his manual described the convertible style vehicle as a "Drop Head Coupe". Guess what all my friends started calling my Plymouth........
The name stuck until I sold it a year or so later.
:moparsmiley:
Yep, drop head is a convertible/roadster. Fixed head is a solid roof (two door) coupe. A four door is a saloon. ( not the kind you drink in......)

Yep, drop head is a convertible/roadster. Fixed head is a solid roof (two door) coupe. A four door is a saloon. ( not the kind you drink in......)
My brother had a 1
My brother had a 1952 XK120 that had a removable hard top. I believe that was described as a roadster. Still came with some aluminum body parts.
Another guy had a 1954 ( I believe XK140) It had a convertible top that was removable also I think it was called a roadster.
My brother also had a XK150 drop head coupe. This had a fully fixed lined convertible top, unlike the other roadster tops that had exposed frames.
AND he let me use them as long as there wasn’t any damage, or I would be severely damaged if not in the morgue. Must have worked I am still here in case anyone noticed.

Last edited:
My brother had a 1

My brother had a 1952 XK120 that had a removable hard top. I believe that was described as a roadster. Still came with some aluminum body parts.
Another guy had a 1954 ( I believe XK140) It had a convertible top that was removable also I think it was called a roadster.
He also had a XK150 drop head coupe. This had a fully fixed lined convertible top, unlike the other roadster tops that had exposed frames.
AND he let me use them as long as there wasn’t any damage, or I would be severely damaged if not in the morgue. Must have worked I am still here in case anyone noticed.
Theoretically, at least in the US, a roadster would have side curtains, if anything. A convertible has roll-up windows.
(Example, 53-55 corvettes are roadsters, 56-up are convertibles)

Bozo didn't have no hubcap, boy - just the button. :)
Over my head on that one Ed. I do see now that Bozo didn’t have hubcaps. Looks like he had spoked wheels. Unless of course those are faux wheels. That would make them hubcaps.

:lol:

1670208303623.jpeg

Over my head on that one Ed. I do see now that Bozo didn’t have hubcaps. Looks like he had spoked wheels. Unless of course those are faux wheels. That would make them hubcaps.

:lol:

Ok, I think you've totally missed the joke intended, so here's a blunt recap:
First, Kiwi posts this:
1968 PLYMOUTH PASSENGER CAR HUBCAP 2881781
1969 BARRACUDA 2881758

What did I win? :poke:

Then 440 4 speed replied with this answer to kiwi's rhetorical question:
Bragging rights!

At seeing that, I offered a "tip-in" of my own to further the jocularity of 440's response to kiwi:
Feeling generous. I'll toss one of these in, too!

View attachment 1382634

As you can see, it had nothing to do with the actual wheelcover in question...
Of course, the joke necessarily takes someone actually knowing what the hell a Bozo button is/was
to begin with (apparently nobody does anymore).
It would also take someone noticing who specifically I was responding to/quoting when I posted it
also...

I tried to offer a little levity to the situation as well as following that up with perhaps useful information
on what I know to be the oldest and biggest source of online info on wheelcovers and hubcaps known
to man in a later post as well.

Sometimes these efforts work......sometimes not.
I tried.

hubcaps, a piece of Americana!

you remember the hubcap guy on the black horse pike down toward weymouth? and his giant hubcap tree?
Yup, stop there in early 2000s, the old timer passed, his son was there, trying to sell all, online & alluminum wheels was killing business.

Auto Transport Service
Back