• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a Gas Tank Measurement Please

Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a repro gas tank that is a piece of garbage (not for a 62+ B Body), but I'm trying to make it work because it's all that is available. To do so, I am thinking the inlet (filler pipe) gasket from a 68-74 or so B body might work on this tank.

Can someone with a tank out of a car measure the inside diameter of the filler opening for me? Measurement would be without the gasket installed.

Much appreciated!

Mine for my 64 Fury measured at 2-1/4" for the inlet hole diameter, and the filler tube was 2". I know you mentioned later model B bodys, but I ended up using a filler grommet for the later B bodys, and it fit perfect. I started a thread on the issue when I was having problems getting a grommet from EBAY to work. It ended up that the dimensions were wrong on that no name part... Here is my thread if you want to research: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...ommet-is-too-tight-to-insert-the-tube.227169/

Mine for my 64 Fury measured at 2-1/4" for the inlet hole diameter, and the filler tube was 2". I know you mentioned later model B bodys, but I ended up using a filler grommet for the later B bodys, and it fit perfect. I started a thread on the issue when I was having problems getting a grommet from EBAY to work. It ended up that the dimensions were wrong on that no name part... Here is my thread if you want to research: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...ommet-is-too-tight-to-insert-the-tube.227169/

Thanks for the input BBD. The problem with this tank I have is the ID of the hole is 2.1". The grommets I have found are all about 2.35-2.4. I can force the grommet into the 2.1" hole, but then the ID of the hole to fit the 2" tube into shrinks to from 1.95" to 1.75. There is NO WAY that I can compress the rubber that much and insert the filler tube.

The filler hole appears to be too small for any known gasket (so far). Knowing your Fury tank was 2-1/4" is another piece of info for my puzzle.

Auto Transport Service
Back