• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice ASAP!! Shop got black grease/dirt streaks, marks on my yellow fabric seats. Cleaner??

If you can find a cleaner called "Spray 9". I have used it in he past for the same problem. I think it it still being made. (It''s in a pump bottle, not an areosol.)
Yes sir, carried now by our area's WalMarts even.
I've used Spray Nine since the early 80's. Amazing stuff, originally developed for the health care industry as it kills all germs known to man - but does an amazing job on whitewall tires and white leather sneakers, too.

Here it is..... it’s in the house cleaning section. Large bottle and it’s only $1

View attachment 1009628
We use that stuff around the house when we want EVERYTHING removed from whatever - walls,
showers, etc.
WARNING THOUGH: That crap needs to be used in WELL ventilated areas. It will flat put you on
your *** if you get a good whiff of it!

spray9 is one I forgot about! something about that stuff I hate, maybe the smell! can't be worse than ether though!
I kinda have gotten to where I like the smell of the stuff (just don't get a face full of it by mistake).
Of course, I AM weird... :realcrazy:

Call the local dry cleaner and see if they still use this.....
upload_2020-10-3_11-31-31.png

Don't use water unless you have something that is a pre-treatment. Water will remove the grease but leave the carbon in the grease. I'd be really pissed that shop I'm sure you spent a ton of money at. They should pay to have it professionally cleaned. Put a seat cover on it anytime it's in a shop, both front seats, backseat?

Last edited:
Yep.. like Fran said, don't see how it's your problem to get it clean!
Limited competent shops/people I can trust to do the kind of work I need done. Cruisin the Coast starts tomorrow, and I still have other car work to do.
So I do it myself, or piss off the guy who I need to swap out the rear axle assembly he put in my wife's GTO.
It's sad that is what I have to deal with, and I wish I could do more myself.

My workplace has approved it for wiping down the company vehicles for the Covid 19.

Just because it kills cooties doesn't mean it's a good grease cutter!

Yep.. like Fran said, don't see how it's your problem to get it clean!

I agree but I don't think I would want the same
shop to try and clean it. Take it to a professional and send the shop the bill. (Double it)

Just because it kills cooties doesn't mean it's a good grease cutter!

I've never used it on grease. That why I recommended the Simple Green.

Spray 9 and Fantastic, pretty close to the same idea. As for grease, spray 9 dissolves grease, if it did not cut thru, the next step would be engine degreaser. I have used it to clean cars for years, If you own a light coloured car, say white, once a season, I will give it a scrub with 9.
In fact, I just had to paint one side of our white Gran Caravan, once the fenders were installed, it was apparent that the paint match was quite different, NOT.. the original white pant had yellowed quite a bit. Grabbed the spray 9, a roll of paper towel, spray, wipe, check the paper towel, hmmm, yellow on towel. Several spray and wipe's, door matches fender. It is one of those things, you have to see it to believe it.

Try a stoddard sovent and see what that does, it will remove black shoe polish from tan carpets !

I own a dry clean store, go to your local dry cleaner and ask him if he can sell you some degreaser or, even better if you can find Perchloroethylene or perc, I can assure you is the best for grease stains, doesn't decolorize the fabric, use a brush and a dry towel to apply it.

Try a stoddard sovent and see what that does, it will remove black shoe polish from tan carpets !
No detergent in stoddard solvent don't use it. Had a dry cleaning biz and used that a compatible soap.

Just thought of something else.

Liquid Tide solution, soft brush to scrub it in and use the Shop Vac to suck it dry. Tide really cuts grease. We've used it to degrease engines before.

A solution of Dawn dish soap could work also.

I own a dry clean store, go to your local dry cleaner and ask him if he can sell you some degreaser or, even better if you can find Perchloroethylene or perc, I can assure you is the best for grease stains, doesn't decolorize the fabric, use a brush and a dry towel to apply it.
Ah, perchloroethylene...the stuff that makes good brake cleaner work well. I use this all the time but I don't think it's sold in the USA (even though it's made there).
image_505600_1_20411_1_452416.jpg

As I said about stoddard solvent no soap in brakleen. The solvent needs a soap, solvent dissolves the grease, soap suspends the dirt so it washes away. Take a heavy light colored cloth put some grease on 2 spots. Spray one with brakleen and on other spot Dawn or some liquid soap scrub some and rinse. See which is cleaner.

Last edited:
Edited last post. Added: on other spot. Wasn't clear. Once you wash with brakleen, dawn or anything will not completely clean the spot it's set in.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back