• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need all the help I can get please....

SortaEvilGuy

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
My name is J.C. I have grown up around helping my father with his cars, he Loved working on cars his favorite here always mopars and he has owned a 1967 rt coronet since before I was born, He stripped it out to reduce the weight its is nothing but a shell with a rear axle still attached. MY uncle and him used to go to junkyards in Chicago ILL were we lived. I am a transplant to Wisconsin and my father used to strip all the 67-74 mopars he could find along with any chevy corvair type seeing as that was his second favorite car in the world. I father loved having a son to help him with cars but I had add and could not pay attention for so long. I dont blame the add on it all because my father only used me to get wrenches and other tools needed for the job and even when he game me a chance to work on a certain part he was an outpatient man and always belittled me for being to slow even though I had no idea what I was doing it was hard to see from above the vechicle and not where the job was to be done. years later I bought a 1980 camaro, 1972 monte and he always took over my projects to the point that I gave up on them and they are just collection dust. I wanted to do things my way and my way was idiotic to him and I either did it his way or he did it himself. later in life he raised me that 4 door cars were let i say ugly and I found a nice 1967 4 door dodge coronet with a 318. My dad has about 20 440's and 10 400's and a couple of 383's and I planed to make a grocery getter into a speed demon. To my believe he stole my 4door 67 coronet and I lost interest in it. He passed last year and Im stuck with 2 67 coronets the 4 door and the 2 door rt both eventually wanting to have 440's and 6 packs on them one is an aluminum 6 pack the other a cast iron. along with a 66 corvair hardtop, 61 greenbrier 80 camaro with a 305 I want to insert a ls6 and a 72 monte carlo with a 350 to eventually be a 454. My question is my 67 four door's rear bumper is dented in two places. and my ocd wont allow it so Ive been looking for a replacement. It being a B-body are there any other b-body cars that I can use to replace it. Like many 70's chevelle,el camaino and monte carlo are compatable. Im sorry for the long explanation. I suffer from anti social crap and Firearms, Guns and computers are the only thing I am have hobbies for. I have a 6 car garage, Mill/ Lathe, drill plenty of tools and all the welders I could ever use. Im not car savy buy Im a beast with a sander and welder. I will be asking for more assistance. Im not sure anyone would mind to help but I will be persistent untill I feel unwelcome. I dont mean to be but I need as much help and possible. The b body bumper would be most helpful for starters if anyone has read as far. Thank you for your time. MY main goal is to not give up and just sell what I have but to shove it in my dads face that Im not just a useless slave he kept me down to be.

Welcome from Alabama, the only way you are going to learn this stuff is to get your hands dirty and try. Sounds like your dad knew a lot, but wasn't a good teacher. As you begin working on some of your projects the things he did and why he did them will set off some memories and you will understand. Make it fun and join in.
Your question about the bumper. A 66-67 Charger or a 67 Coronet are your choices on a rear bumper. Post a WTB ad and maybe someone has a spare. If yours isn't to bad there are places to have it straightened and rechromed.

Welcome from Alabama, the only way you are going to learn this stuff is to get your hands dirty and try. Sounds like your dad knew a lot, but wasn't a good teacher. As you begin working on some of your projects the things he did and why he did them will set off some memories and you will understand. Make it fun and join in.
Your question about the bumper. A 66-67 Charger or a 67 Coronet are your choices on a rear bumper. Post a WTB ad and maybe someone has a spare. If yours isn't to bad there are places to have it straightened and rechromed.
Thank you very much. I always enjoyed working on cars with put even knowing what I was doing, Much of what I have learned has been on the job experience like you said but at the same time I have so called learning abilities like not knowing what parts are what yet I can match them to where they belong with out need for manuals or google not that that has not come in handy down the line but my family members that are car savvy have always acted as they were better than me because it takes me time to prognoses the problems which they can do within seconds. I am avid at car restore, body, interior, seats, electrical but I am not the best with the mechanical aspects. Once again thank you for your help. BTW my bumper has 2 small dents not really noticeable but my ocd just cant allow it. thank you loads.

Thank you for you help...There are no places locally for me is there a place that you know of the ship it to get it repaired? Sorry to botther
Tri City Plating, Elizabethon, TN
Look up the website and contact them.

Welcome from Indiana. Sounds like you inherited quite a collection. How about posting some pictures when you get a chance. Don’t be shy about asking for help here. Good luck.

Welcome from Michigan, the Motor City! 440' The main thing is to learn these cars at your own pace. Nobody knows everything the first time doing it. I myself have had to do things multiple times before I felt like I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately, your father didn't realize this and be more patient with you at the time. It's great that you have the drive to work on these old cars. They can be a great way for you to feel a sense of accomplishment! Keep your head up and move forward. It's great to see younger guy's like you involved in this great hobby. 440'

untitled.png
Oh man, the subject of learning from our dads....that's a unique and complicated one for
each of us for sure, obviously.
To over-simplify it in my particular case, my dad was extremely old school - his knowledge of vehicles didn't come so much from an interest in them, but from simple necessity and was based on coming from extremely poor roots.
$25 cars was normal for him; keeping that heap on the road so he could get to work was such that he HAD to learn how to fix them in order to survive and feed the family.

Like you describe, I was the "hold the flashlight" and "fetch that wrench" kid of the bunch for him, but it sparked the interest in me for cars that eventually turned into a love of them.
His being so very frugal led to him always having the cheapest tools and buying the cheapest parts long after he finally could afford better, so I learned from that, too.

When he finally got to his later years, kids grown and gone and he had expendible income, he got a few old cars and when I moved down here to look after him, I was sort of expected to fix them up for him, make them roadworthy and so forth.
We butted heads often on what to do with those old pickups and such - he wanted them fixed up pretty, but didn't want to spend the money necessary to do so.
It wound up being such a loggerhead situation with us that he decided to sell them off after a while....
I regret that so very much now.
I was wrong for insisting on doing things "right" - it didn't matter what I thought, since they
were HIS cars, not mine. Whatever he wanted, I should have done without complaint.

I realize that now, in my own later "wiser" years - I learned SO much from my dad, often without even realizing it or when we were actually debating what to do with one of them.
I missed some chances to really share some stuff with him and I was wrong.

I appreciate him now more than ever as a result - and he's been gone over a decade now.

It really is too bad we can't do the "Vulcan Mindmeld". Seems like such a shame every generation has to start from scratch.
Mike

welcome to fbbo

Bienvenido desde México :drinks:
Getting your hands dirty and screwed things up I'd the only way to learn, btw we all hold the flashlight for our dad, and nothing can hurt our feelings anymore, ask and your question will be answered, the guys here are pretty knowledgeable and always willing to help:luvplace:

Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten. Best of luck on your project!

Auto Transport Service
Back