• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need feedback

68HAVOK

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
I don' feel that something is right. Not to knowledgeable and need guidance. Engine shakes really bad sometimes during idle. I know I may need to take a look at replacing motor mounts. Had the engine rebuilt a year and a half ago (360). Aluminum heads & the below carb and cam. This is in a 68 Satellite.

Screenshot_2016-02-29-09-55-48.jpeg Screenshot_2016-07-09-17-29-50.png

What is the question? If you want help, you'll need to make it easy for people to do so.
Who did the engine work...?
Is the problem happening all the time or intermittently?
What is the idle vacuum reading?
What ignition system? Points or electronic ? Spark plug type? Plug gap? Distributor air gap?
Spark plug wires?
How old is the gas tank? Fuel pump? Fuel filter?
See where I am going? You need to provide MORE information if you want help.
Plenty of helpful people here.
A car that suddenly develops a poor idle condition can be a few things. Often times it is a vacuum leak. If the car has power brakes, the 3/8" hose from the carburetor to the brake booster could have come off. That would also result in a hard but ineffective brake pedal.

Last edited:
Motor mounts cause all kinds of hell...yep that can seem like an engine issue for sure(give it a quick womp of the throttle and see how much the engine lifts)do you have the right vacuum for your setup, can verify no misfire, no oil leaking into the chambers, carb tuned okay, flexplate not cracked/warped...could be many things, best plan is start ruling out possible causes one by one..I had the same problem awhile back, and found the valley pan wasn't sealing at the bottom. Had a tablespoon of oil sitting on each intake valve. Fixed that and it still shook until I replaced the mounts! Must've gotten soft sitting in their box for 10 years...

Agree- the typical motor mount issue is the driver's side separating.

Open the hood and watch close as you give a moderate snap of the throttle.

I've found it works best in gear, which can be just a bit tricky to execute.

Might not solve your shake but that double pumper might be a bit big for that motor?

It does not do it all the time. But often enough for it to be concerning. Hadn't done it for months and now it has started again. Engine work done by a shop. MSD ignition and plug wires. Gas tank not sure of. Fuel pump replaced when engine was rebuilt. Fuel filter was replaced when we put in a fuel pressure regulator. Reads at about 6 to 6.5 PSI. My apologies for not being able to provide many technical specs. Didn' know how much or what info to give. Thanks for the direction Kerndog.

Thought so too on the size of the carb. We jetted it down.

I doubt it's the motor mount. My drivers side was so bad that the motor was tilted and it was separated and basically just sitting on the rubber pad on that side, but idled smoothly.

It almost sounds like you have an intermittent ignition problem. I'd look closely at the distributor.

Shaking is not caused by the mounts. It's a running problem. More than likely a carb tuning issue, but could be ignition too. You don't mention carb settings or timing curves.
Holleys get crap in the needles and seats, and in the idle air bleeds very easily. If it's needles and seats it crap in the fuel system. If it's air bleeds its just the environment. Take a can of carb cleaner, and using the long tube it comes with mounted in the nozzle, spray directly down the air bleeds in each barrel while the engine is running. Quick bursts, not a steady stream because it will try and stall. Also check the power valve(s).
Depending on the distributor and centrifugal curve you have in it, it might have issues returning to a base idle.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll report back with findings.

All of this can be confusing, I know. I have a buddy that likes to talk computers with me, he blabs on and on about gigabytes, RAM and other **** that goes way over my head. I tell him that my computer is a Dell and it works fine. I probably sound like an average guy when someone like ME starts talking cars....
Okay...First up: That carburetor! A 750 double pumper carburetor is too much for a street driven 360 automatic car. Unless you drag race the car, the double pumper throws TOO much fuel into the engine. Jetting it down is a crutch. The issue is that it is a "double pumper" design. These have mechanical secondaries and an accelerator pump for both the front 2 barrels and the rear 2. A 750 Vacuum secondary carburetor would have been about $150 cheaper and ran a bunch better. Here is why: For street use, 90% of your driving will be at low rpm and midrange. During this type of operation, the vacuum secondary carburetor acts as an "on demand" device. The engine only gets what it needs. Under about half to full throttle, the secondaries open and then you get the full 4 barrels. The double pumper (Even if rated at the same 750 CFM) dumps fuel whether the engine "needs" it or not. Over time, the excess fuel goes unburned and fouls spark plugs, forms deposits on intake and exhaust valves and causes carbon buildup. In the worst case scenario, the unburned excess fuel washes oil off of the cylinder walls and causes early piston ring scuffing and wear. The double pumper carburetors do work great in a drag race engine, since they operate at wide open throttle at almost 100% of the time.....down the track!
The reason that I asked about the gas tank? Most old cars like ours either have a rusty gas tank or a new replacement tank. Clean fuel is a must! A rusty tank will plug up the fuel filter and starve the carburetor...kinda. Some rust powder still gets through and clogs up internal passages, jets, air bleeds, etc. I have dealt with this and it sucks ***. A new tank can be had for under $100, new fuel lines for $80. Check CarParts.com I bought a tank for a Duster and it was $48 ! NEW !
A street car should also have vacuum advance. Chances are that your MSD setup does not. Vacuum advance helps you get a cleaner burn, helps the spark plugs last longer and gets you better mileage. I know that nobody builds these cars for commuting but get this: I did a distance road trip to test a setup. One way to Van Nuys without vacuum advance (450+ miles) and one way home WITH vacuum advance. In my 70 Charger with the 440/493, Mopar '509 cam....10.8 mpg without, 12.6 mpg with vacuum advance. The vacuum advance also results in less carbon buildup for a longer lasting engine.
There are parts and procedures that people push on you that are wrong. People often try to push race parts on people that only do street driving. They may deliver a slight power advantage at wide open throttle but for the majority of street use, they are not the best choice.
An intermittent problem can be difficult to fix. I would switch to a different carburetor eventually but your current problem may not be directly related to the carb. I think that Ignition issues are more likely to be causing the unstable and shaky idle. Fouled plugs, a bad spark plug wire, a loose fitting plug wire, (Either into the distributor cap or at the plug) a cracked distributor cap, a defective rotor, a bad coil, incorrect adjustments inside the distributor.... A word of note: Even NEW parts can be defective. Don't make the mistake of assuming that a part cannot be to blame because it is new.
My 75 Power Wagon used to idle fine but cut out and sputter at anything over 2500 rpms. I traced it to a bad rotor: The tip had broken off. Weird **** happens with engines, man...
Good luck. Feel free to print this page out and check everything out. There is a lot to digest and it may be hard to remember it all.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for taking the time Kerndog and all of you! What carb would you suggest when I do that? Im having a buddy come by to help with the diag. I Will use this whole thread to get to the bottom of it.
Thanks,
Garth

If your immediate goal is to correct the unstable idle and shaky engine, I'd focus on that. It is unlikely that the carburetor is to blame unless it is dirty inside. When you do look into switching, I like the Holley 750 Vacuum secondary. I think it is also known as a 3310 model. I use manual choke carburetors because here in CA, it rarely gets cold enough to need one. I run my Demon 850 with no choke at all. Of course, mine is a vacuum secondary on a 440 based 493.

IMG 302.JPG Summer 2013 137.JPG

Party on, Garth.

Kern Dog, good recommendations! Spark plugs (fouled) would be where I would start given the story and following what 1 1/2 years of running that double pumper may have done.
Air, fuel, spark. I'd start with spark on this one.

The OP sold his computer to pay for engine parts.

Sorry for the delay, had a good friend pass away at way to young of an age (41). Got to lookin at the car, motor mount on the driver side is shot. Got a dent in passenger side header from the motor twisting. Also jacked up the rear and threw it in drive and found that I have some bad bearings that need to be replaced as I was hearing a very faint noise coming from the rear. I don' have a lot of room to work on it at my house so in a few weeks gonna go out to a buddy's and get into it and also dig into the motor a bit more. Appreciate all the help and will let ya know how things progress.

Auto Transport Service
Back